Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
32LT10 said:
Fox-Tree said:
My understanding is that FDX was requiring everyone that came to work from another carrier to resign. Are you saying you did not comply with your employers requirements?

You should know better than any non-UAL folks that the letter of resignation he may have had to mail isn't worth the paper it was printed on.

If he likes FedEx and wants to keep his options open, good for him. He isn't the only one who may bypass. It looks like more than half of the pilots recalled have bypassed for whatever reason. Some may return, some might, and some won't.

Personally, I'll probably bypass, get some more turbine PIC and then go back. I'll need that PIC time in case another raghead decides to make a political statement and UAL decides to furlough the bottom 20% again.

I wouldn't take his remarks about United so personally. Everyone needs to make the best business decision for themselves.

See you back on the line next year.

GP

GuppyPuppy said:
I wouldn't take his remarks about United so personally. Everyone needs to make the best business decision for themselves.

See you back on the line next year.

GP

GP,

You are right. It is just his attitude of "I had no idea", and "the contract stinks". He should take a look around see that there are not too many great contracts out there. Labor has had its legs taken from under them and it is survival mode. Will we ever see the rates we had in C2K? Most likely not. However, the landscape has changed and will continue to change. It is what happens. For him to think that FDX is immune from any corrections is again showing his lack of ability to see beyond today and not look at yesterday.

The point of the post about not resigning is this. IMO, the UAL pilots have done a fair job of trying to assist the furloughed pilots with COBRA cost and some other items. We all hate to have guys on the street. However, for this guy to act as if anyone still at UAL has a hole in their head that was not placed there at birth is a bit insulting.

I do agree with him in that I wish he was hired at FDX earlier and did not have to worry about whether or not he made the right decision.

Best wishes to you and hope you decide to come back. I have seen a few guys I flew with back during the hey days that were furloughed and have returned. Great to see them back and most that I have talked to seem pretty happy. Another of my classmates is an LCA on the 320. He says the guys coming back have some of the best attitudes and have resumed their duties as if they had never left the seat. He said the IOE's are some of the easiest he has ever done since the guys are so up to speed.

level370 said:
The rumor is this time next year, but who knows. There is still a bunch of guys who have the option to come back and there is talk of everything from mergers to deliveries. Your guess is probably as good as anyone else's.

You guys at UAL hearing anything about a purchase of Polar Air Cargo? I ran into a UAL guy a few weeks ago that was talking abou that.

Fox-Tree said:
:erm: Not all of us want "back on campus". Someone else can have my spot - fool me once, etc, etc. That new contract is pathetic.

Yeah it is.....but I can remember a MD-11 Captain approaching me 6 years ago in the Osaka hotel gym to complain how "pathetic" Fedex's contract was compared to ours (contract 2000). You just NEVER know.......

furloughfodder said:
You guys at UAL hearing anything about a purchase of Polar Air Cargo? I ran into a UAL guy a few weeks ago that was talking abou that.

Yeah, I heard that one too. Apparently the belly cargo is maxed out and the company is trying to work something out with ALPA. One good rumor was that wet-leasing was shot down. They shouldn’t have sold the DC-10Fs. I think those went to FedEx.

32LT10 said:
Interesting. Sorry you dislike UAL so much. I suppose we should have shuttered the doors before we furloughed pilots. That would have made you happy? If you did not have an idea that the airlines are cyclical WTF were you doing before you walked in the door? UAL has had some of the biggest cycles of all and if you did not do your research then blame yourself and not the airline.

I don’t “dislike” UAL. I’m just unwilling to jump back onboard and blindly hope for the best. No, I don’t think they should have shut the doors. I just don’t accept furlough as a part of life that should be waited out while doing some thumb twiddling job as I wait for Mamma UAL to bring me back into the fold. What was I doing before UAL? I was in the military with no clue about airlines at all. I did blame myself for my lack of personal education about airline cycles. If I had done a better job, I would have gone straight to the company that has had profitable quarters for at least a quarter century and never furloughed. Will that last? Who knows – but I’d say the odds are better than UAL.

32LT10 said:
As for FEDEX I hope it works out for you. However, since you seem to not have clue about anything in the industry let me share a term you may want to read up on, "cabotage". Once you have read and educated yourself you can get back to us on the rosey future.

I said I didn’t educate myself at the start of my airline career. I’ve acquired more than a clue since then, thanks. I’m well aware of cabotage and the threat it poses. You need to be worrying about it too, my friend. Fedex is going to be a little more reluctant to farm out flying and risk the reputation built over 30+ years that its business hinges on. Last I checked, there isn’t a foreign cargo carrier that offers anything close to what Fedex does – so even if they can fly within our borders, that doesn’t necessarily mean Fedex rolls inverted and pulls. You can keep up on the rosy future yourself – there’s usually a weekly article in the WSJ.

How’s the contract going? About the same pace as UAL’s contract 2000. It’ll happen and they’ll pay retro – so I’m not losing sleep over it.

32LT10 said:
My understanding is that FDX was requiring everyone that came to work from another carrier to resign. Are you saying you did not comply with your employers requirements?

I resigned via letter from UAL to get on with another carrier a month after my furlough. I resigned from that carrier via letter to get on with Fedex. If UAL chooses to ignore my first letter, that’s their choice. Like I said, I won’t burn bridges until it’s required.

32LT10 said:
32LT10 said:
You are right. It is just his attitude of "I had no idea", and "the contract stinks". He should take a look around see that there are not too many great contracts out there. Labor has had its legs taken from under them and it is survival mode. Will we ever see the rates we had in C2K? Most likely not. However, the landscape has changed and will continue to change. It is what happens. For him to think that FDX is immune from any corrections is again showing his lack of ability to see beyond today and not look at yesterday.

The contract does stink. So, the fact that everyone’s contract $ucks means I should just shut up and accept it? Everyone has their threshold. I reached mine and will not work under those conditions. If things tanked at Fedex, I wouldn’t be the one saying – “Well, everyone’s contract stinks so that’s just the way it is.” Like I said, I’d leave and do something else. I don’t think Fedex is immune from trouble. They are not an airline, however. I can look ahead and behind just fine. Looking behind shows me Fedex has a history of success and an ability to react to market dynamics. Looking ahead, they are expanding, positioning themselves in new, growing markets and stand to make a sh!tload of money. Actually, they’re already making a sh!tload of money. There are threats from the DOT move to allow foreign ownership of airlines, cabotage, age 60, etc. I can’t do much about my flying job except write my elected reps (which I’ve done) and ask them to support legislation that will improve our career expectations. Personally, I will never put all my trust in an airline – no matter what names on the side of the jet. I am taking appropriate measures to diversify my personal situation. If the Fedex $$ spigot turns off, I won’t need to go work at home depot. I am ready.

32LT10 said:
32LT10 said:
The point of the post about not resigning is this. IMO, the UAL pilots have done a fair job of trying to assist the furloughed pilots with COBRA cost and some other items. We all hate to have guys on the street. However, for this guy to act as if anyone still at UAL has a hole in their head that was not placed there at birth is a bit insulting.

I did resign. I didn’t take a dime of cobra $$ or anything else from UAL ALPA since I was furloughed. You don’t have to like or agree with my choices for leaving. I don’t mean to insult you. I do think anyone staying at UAL that’s young enough (under 50) and has the personal flexibility to go elsewhere will be better off in the long run. You obviously don’t agree – so stay. No of us will know if we chose wisely until we’re on a golf course collecting (maybe) our retirement. With $75/bbl oil, a psycho in Iran threatening his neighbors, idiots in our government proposing airline killing legislation, etc – I personally would give an airline one shot. UAL got theirs and failed. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Recalled on Friday

Hey everyone,

Just got the call on Friday for June 5th. My seniority number is 7964. Just thought I would update everyone.

Joe Scam
3/20/00

Hey GuppyPuppy - just curious - are you at JetBlue and planning on ultimately going back to UAL (once you can't bypass any more).

JTrain said:
Hey GuppyPuppy - just curious - are you at JetBlue and planning on ultimately going back to UAL (once you can't bypass any more).

A. Yes
B. Maybe. I won't close the door and will make the best decision for me when the time comes.

GP

Latest resources

Back