• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, we (Feb 26th recall class) lost one over the weekend during the two week indoc course. He was coming back to SFO 767 but I don't recall how senior he was. Evidently there were a variety of reasons he made his decision, some having to do with United and some not. I got to know him a bit and didn't have any idea he was considering walking...others got a pretty clear signal that unless he got better news he was going to consider bailing.

W8N

any word lately on how many more there are to go on the list? some in the majors section are saying around august for newhires...would you guys agree?

I would say early 2008 is a better guess. As they move up the list, I feel the percentage of people resigning will decrease. Also, some who went to Jet Blue are starting to have doubts about staying there. I'll elect to go back when I have to, unless a better offer comes along

I spoke with Bob Neal yesterday. He said they still have 663 (I didn't write it down, but think that was the number) of guys still on bypass. He also said some of the more senior bypassers are coming back earlier than predicted. Why? Probably to ensure they'll be very senior in their rehire class so that they'll get the aircraft/domicile they want.

The latest on recalls from United's skynet pages. Current as of 20 Mar:

Junior Pilot Remaining on By Pass: Seniority #: 8273
clearpixel.gif
Hire Date: 09/03/2000
Pilots Remaining on By Pass: 663

Total number furloughed was 2172. The skynet page states that 1290 have accepted recall, which includes mil leave and leave of absence. 1290 + 663 = 1953. That means that 219 furloughees are no longer on the seniority list.

The current recall rate of 15/mo isn't even enough to keep up with retirements. There are 20+ retirements/mo. They will have to pick up the rate of recalls soon, because they are already short on pilots. They will also need to build a training bubble, which will require additional pilots on property.
I don't know if they're going to 'gut' it out during the summer, but they're going to have to go to 50+/mo at some point in the not-too-distant future.
I think that they will have to start newhire classes in late 2007/early 2008.

Latest resources

Back