• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LAS Picket huge success

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Due to recent events (that involved the dismissal of two of our pilots), the company has made it clear that the pilots will be dealt with SEVERELY for ANY infractions of the company's policies,

Including falling asleep.

I won't go into the possible litigation

It is really important that ALL pilots are offered the chance to defend themsleves since firing a pilot ends their career.

edited because I was sarcastic- sorry guys...it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Last edited:
Including falling asleep at 30,000 feet

First, it's more important that false accusations be validated, BEFORE a crew is disiplined.
Interesting information you have, 30k, no one has said that or written it in a way that you might have access to. Who's feeding you this crap you present in this forum? Now, you're begining to piss me off!

Last edited:
The company has made it VERY CLEAR that they will not tolerate tired pilots in the cockpit.

One of the worst parts of the recent firing of two of our crewmembers, is that it was supposedly an owner who turned the crew in, and the company fired them without even checking the facts. I won't go into the possible litigation coming up because of that, as it's irrelevant to this post.

You are correct that litigation will settle what ever it was. But it looks like a lucky guess hit a soft spot. I do not believe that the company would fire someone over a trivial matter, therefor they must believe they have cause. To fire someone over a trivial matter doesn't seem likely as there is no logic in it as it wastes everyones time.

But whatever it was, it must have ticked off the Owner pretty bad. Now if the attitudes that are displayed on this board, are carried to the Owners then it is extremely dissapointing. Leave this issue to these two pilots and the lawyers and off this board. It does nobody any good.

Oh its always good when a crew calls in tired and is given a 10 hr turn for a 0200 show thereafter. Who wouldn't fall asleep?

Crew days need to be limited to 9 hrs of duty... just like office workers.

What are the number of days?

El Chupacabra said:
Oh its always good when a crew calls in tired and is given a 10 hr turn for a 0200 show thereafter. Who wouldn't fall asleep?

Crew days need to be limited to 9 hrs of duty... just like office workers.

What are the number of days that you work 9 hour days, 10 hour days. 11 hour days, 12 hour days etc? I hear a lot of discussion but what are the numbers between the long days and 10 hour turns? Is it the norm or is it once in a while? Does it vary by fleet or is it across all fleets?

CMHTroll said:
You are correct that litigation will settle what ever it was. But it looks like a lucky guess hit a soft spot. I do not believe that the company would fire someone over a trivial matter, therefor they must believe they have cause. To fire someone over a trivial matter doesn't seem likely as there is no logic in it as it wastes everyones time.

Lucky guess my a$$...

But whatever it was, it must have ticked off the Owner pretty bad. Now if the attitudes that are displayed on this board, are carried to the Owners then it is extremely dissapointing. Leave this issue to these two pilots and the lawyers and off this board. It does nobody any good.

Ticked him off so bad it took him a couple of weeks to get his story strait with RTS. Leave this issue to the pilots? Take your own advice. Leave it off this board.

CMHTroll said:
What are the number of days that you work 9 hour days, 10 hour days. 11 hour days, 12 hour days etc? I hear a lot of discussion but what are the numbers between the long days and 10 hour turns? Is it the norm or is it once in a while? Does it vary by fleet or is it across all fleets?
It varies in all categories. The secret to being abused (14/10, 14/10, etc) is to have a working plane. Also, you'll get two early shows in a row and then, just when you think your body is getting into some sort of sleep pattern, you get an afternoon show. You tell your body not to wake up early on day three but I rarely win that argument. Nobody in CMH can believe that I am calling fatigued at 2000. "You've only been on duty for 7 hours," they say. "Yeah, but I've been awake since 0500 and I'm tired," says I.

I'm not sure you'll be able to understand unless you go through it personally. I used to fight through fatigue and warn my partner to watch me like a hawk when I was feeling a little sluggish. Now, in today's anti-pilot environment at NJA, I wouldn't stick out my neck one centimeter on any issue whatsoever. A lot of pilots have started taking a micro tape recorder on the road and taping their phone calls to CMH. So be careful what you say. You may be hearing your words again...

CMHtroll, my mistake. The devil is in the details, right? No specifics have been released yet, except for the following: The crew called in fatigued, and was then given a ten hour turn to a 2 AM show. From what little investigation has been accomplished so far, the crew claims they absolutely were NEVER asleep at any point (owner's word against crew's word). Not a single radio call was missed, waypoint missed, or procedure deviated from. And most importantly, it took the owner 2 weeks to call in about it.

These are just the peliminaries, but unfortunatley the crew was dismissed first without anything but the owner's word about what happened. So the question becomes, what are the rest of our pilots supposed to do? The only thing we can do: follow the rules, policies, and procedures as they're written. That way, there's little chance an owner can claim the pilots did something wrong. Sadly, this makes us extra paranoid about fatigue, as a fatigue issue just cost two of our pilots their jobs. So you can bet a lot of us will be shutting things down a lot earlier in the fatigue process than we have in the past. Again, it's NOT a union action. We are now in a position where we have to do things this way to protect our careers. If that means sacrificing some customer service to be totally legal, then so be it. If you take exception to that, maybe you should ask management about handing out discipline before all the facts are known.

The fatigue issue is real. I just talked to a friend who has one year in and she is beaten to death on her tours. She's not a complainer, either. Fatigue will end up biting some unfortunate crew and customer one of these days.

She's already doing the math on busting out of the training contract.TC

Latest resources

Back