King Air 90 ferry flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilot_Ryan said:
Although to be perfectly frank, I think ferrying is generally a very lousy way to make a primary income.

From my limited experience, I will agree completely. You are getting paid by each flight, as an independent contractor, no bennies, and basically living from the pay from flight to flight. Never any assurance of future flights, pay aint so hot either. Yearly fatality rate is about 5% of those who do ocean crossings.

If one has a spouse with a great income, or if you already have a pension you are living on, thats one thing. But if one is going to try and make it a primary income, good luck. Its possible, but going to be hard, and no promise of a future on it. After the couple of crossings I have done, I am glad I had the experience of doing it, but I would not want to make it my career at all.

jbDC9 said:
Umm, I don't mean to burst your bubble... but that's a C90 King Air to be ferried to the other side of the world. Long legs across a large ocean; from looking at your resume on the profile there to the left... you really think you'd be up for something like this? Tell ya what, I have 3200 hrs or so in BE 1900s and maybe 6000 in 737s, some international, and I'm not sure that I'd even be up for a trip like that. Plus, there's the insurance company to keep happy... just saying don't get yer hopes up on this one.

Yeah really, I wouldn't be up for it either. It's one thing if you're in a jet up in the high 30's, but a c90?

This would actually be a pretty benign trip in a turboprop. You can do it without ferry tanks or HF. You wont need overflight permits until you get to the eastern Med, then would need permits for Lebanon, possibly Syria, Saudi and the entry permit to Bahrain.

NW_Pilot said:
Sure I would be up for it!!! Why not??? I am a ferry pilot and most all of us ferry pilots are able to handle that type of flight. I enjoy what I do and will fly almost anything anywhere.

LOL, your website says you don't even do Canada! LOL

iflyabeech said:
LOL, your website says you don't even do Canada! LOL

I have my reasons for not doing ferry flights in to Canada at this point in time… I will be more than happy to pass by a Canuck village and get some fuel but that’s about it.

NW_Pilot said:
I have my reasons for not doing ferry flights in to Canada at this point in time… I will be more than happy to pass by a Canuck village and get some fuel but that’s about it.

Wow, you are big time!

To NW_Pilot:

For what it is worth, we all probably thought we'd be up for this sort of thing when we had 700 hours.

I've got just over 2,300 hours, including over 100 hours of King Air time, and 130 hours of over water time, and I wouldn't even think of trying it unless I brought along an experienced overwater pilot who has middle east experience.

But that is what experience does for you. I would have been chomping at the bit at 700 hours as well, so don't feel too bad about the replies you've gotten. As they have said, the insurance company wouldn't even give you the time of day... Heck, for that matter, they might not give it to me either! :)

Fly safe!

Whirlwind, well said. It also would be difficult to avoid MNPS airspace which requires training.

Heck, the Middle East is easy; it is the French airspace that is a challenge. :smash:

Just stay below FL285, thats clear of MNPS

Latest resources

Back