Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

KGMB Hawaii blows the lid on Mesa / go! and pilot fatigue!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sorry but getting alpa to do it is a pipe dream.

the rules will only change after the public/faa has had enough accidents. the only thing we can do is draw attention to the problem when we can and hope less it lessens the number of accidents required to make a rule change.

:)

I'm not optimistic that ALPA will be able to change anything about anything. I'm just resigned to the reality that they're the only game in town when it comes to lobbying Congress for rule changes.

The only other way rules will change is if there are several more accidents and casualties that are 100% attributable to fatigue. Difficult to prove, because unless the pilots are asleep when the actual crash takes place, fatigue is just listed as one of many other factors.

Most safety-related FAR's are written in blood.

When fatigue becomes either the probable cause or a major contributing factor to a crash at a Part 121 airline, then you'll see a change. Until then.... I feel sorry for guys working at Mesa. Alls I can say is that it gets way better.

Throw JO down the well
So my country can be free
You must grab him by his horns
Then we have a big party

If you see JO coming
You must be carefull of his teeth
You must grab him by his money
And I tell you what to do

Throw JO down the well
So my country can be free
You must grab him by his horns
Then we have a big party

Also...

Wouldya?

Stacy is HOT. Even more hot now that she rode JO with her strap on!

How I would pay to see a photochop of Stacy Loe riding JO in this picture of JO bending over.

Anybody got photochop?

I disagree to a point w/ the pessimistic view on the public... They don't want to fly w/ tired pilots- and there is convincing research it seems like every month that is relating a lack of sleep, and sleep schedule consistency to the negative effects of alcohol. A mistake i think ALPA and all our unions make is that they do not galvanize the public very well at all.

How would you change the rest rules?

To me they are designed to protect int'l pilots and are purely political... Otherwise why would we limit flight time instead of duty time? Why is it ok for turboprops to fly 34/120/1200 when it's much harder to build time in them? Same for 135 unsched of 500/800/1400. It's not about the pilot and what's safe-

To me = i know this would have Int'l ops issues- but the duty limit should be 12 hours and fly as much as you can- like the JB experiment- but keep the week/month/year limits. That would lead to more days off.. which ... another i'm fond of saying- If i get enough time at home- i can fly every day of the month and not get tired... It's about a sustainable schedule where pilots aren't getting wrecked at least 2 days a week and have to spend many of their off days just recovering.

Most safety-related FAR's are written in blood.

When fatigue becomes either the probable cause or a major contributing factor to a crash at a Part 121 airline, then you'll see a change. Until then.... I feel sorry for guys working at Mesa. Alls I can say is that it gets way better.

I wholeheartedly agree about the FAR's being written in blood, but I just cannot ever see fatigue being listed as the probable cause of a crash. It will just be called pilot error, and maybe have fatigue as a possible factor. Unless some guys are going on and on about how tired and fatigued they are on the the cvr, yawning, making constant errors, etc, and then put it in the dirt, maybe... But then the pilots will be crucified for not calling off fatigued, since all airline CEO's are quick to remind the public that "our pilots can call off fatigued at anytime without reprimand."

How would you change the rest rules?

ALPA's official position is:

12 hr max duty day
8 hr max scheduled flying
10 hr min "free from duty" between shifts.

I used to think this was ALPA trying to "featherbed" and artificially inflate due-paying members; bitter experience at Mesa taught me that this sort of inflexibility is necessary, because there will always be a few carriers who push pilot schedules beyond the limits of common sense (but totally legal, of course).

===================================

ALPA will have to lobby for change. There are powerful forces lobbying for exactly the opposite, and have prevented any significant change in duty times despite DECADES of NTSB and NASA commissioned studies.

The unfiltered results from the most extensive study ever taken on pilot fatigue in the US by NASA was heavily censored by airline industry interests not less than a year ago.

(ALPA and FOIA is fighting to make the results on this study public)

The sad truth is, Mesa-type airlines would rather just absorb the insurance premiums they pay to cover the occasional fatigue-related crash than to pay to have enough pilots to both meet their scheduling demands and to conform to pilots physiologically driven circadian rhythm requirements.

Sad but true.

Last edited:
As usual, it will take blood to get any rules to change. That's what happens when the system is reactive, not proactive.

To me that's the point of a national union- Bottom line, it's not safe and it's certainly not sustainable over the long term health wise- It's bad to crash- but it's also bad to lose your medical.
We should stand united on that and refuse to fly these schedules as a group. Regulatory changes are a much better protection than any contract... Seems better rest rules- or provisions designed to give companies a financial motive for more efficient schedules in any contract always go away on the downturn--- this is too important...

But again, it begs the question- why do we have a national union if we cannot strike together over issues that affect everyone.

Latest resources

Back