Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

KGMB Hawaii blows the lid on Mesa / go! and pilot fatigue!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hikoushi

AAAAAAARGGGH!!!!
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4441/40/

They say it happens more than you realize. Pilots tell us they're so exhausted they fall asleep at the controls. Now, there's more proof and more controversy.

While federal investigators haven't determined if that was the case, people in the airline industry nationwide are talking about it and telling us about it.
KGMB9's Stacy Loe first broke the story and continues her investigation.

Since our story aired, I've received more than 50 e-mails from pilots across the country.
Many claim to be current or former Mesa airlines employees who say this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Some of their claims are chilling. They agreed to go on the record, if we did not use their names.

When you fly do you know how rested your pilots are?
"On almost every e-mail we received it was the same story. Pilots saying fatigue is a real factor and sleeping in the cockpit happens more often than passengers realize.I have personally flown flights with captains that have fallen asleep," writes one pilot for Mesa.. which owns go! Airlines.

Another former Mesa pilot we spoke to admits he's done it, but say's he's not proud of it.
"I've fallen asleep, there have been times I've told the other crew members I am out you have the airplane."

According to FAA regulations, pilots can fly for 8 hours but can be on duty up to 16 hours a day.
One former Mesa pilot says long days were standard practice at the airlines, where he flew for 6 years.
"There would be many, many times that we would be on duty for 16 hours and completely wiped out. And then depending if it was on a 3 or 4 day trip, you know that could be day 1 or day 2 and you still had 2 more days to go."

Another former Mesa pilot tells KGMB9 he recently resigned during a trip that included flying and commute time that would have approached 22 hours. A copy of his schedule confirms that.
"And after that they wanted me to have minimum rest of 9 hours and go back to work and I didn't find it plausible it was absolutely incredible."

The rules allow a minimum of 8 hours of rest time. It starts shortly after pilots land the plane. But it doesn't mean a crew member is getting 8 hours of sleep.

"From that point, you still need to get off the plane, get your stuff, walk out, wait for a shuttle bus that could be another 10-15 minutes and then it could be another 20 minutes to get to your hotel, get to your room."ll airlines have a policy designed to protect pilots. Those who are too tired to fly can call in fatigued without fear of retribution. But a former Mesa pilot says it's not that easy.

"You can't just call in fatigued because you are tired. If a schedule is technically legal FAA minimum legal then it's not enough, not enough of a reason."

Mesa's CEO Jonathan Ornstein, "We don't write the rules, we abide by them. We've done it for 25 years and will continue to do so for the next 25 years."

But does legal mean safe? The FAA says yes.
"We believe current work rule hours are sufficient and effective. It's really up to the pilots and the airline to make sure they are properly rested," said Ian Gregor, FAA Pacific Regional Spokesman.

The FAA considered changing the rules back in 1995 but couldn't reach a consensus with the aviation community.

Pilot fatigue is on the National Transportation Safety Boards most wanted list when it comes to safety improvements.

The agency has asked the FAA to modify its rules to take into consideration research findings in fatigue and sleep issues . On its website, the NTSB says the FAA's response on this issue has been unacceptable.

"We take everything the NTSB says very seriously and in many cases we do implement the recommendations," said Gregor. Not soon enough for pilots who say until the flight rules are changed, fatigue will remain a factor in the skies.

The FAA says if in fact pilots are falling asleep in cockpits or if their company has forced them to fly when they've been too tired, they want to know about it. Only then can the agency do something about it.

......JO is SCREWED. The Mesa freight train will impact the Brick Wall of Death very soon. Time to jump ship. EJECT EJECT EJECT! If you still work at that shytehole, get out NOW while you still can! Remember, Aloha's lawsuit is just around the corner! GET OUT NOW while there are still jobs out there and you don't have to contend with the ENTIRE UNEMPLOYED MESA PILOT GROUP as your competition. FLEE. RUN. DO IT. SAVE YOURSELF AND SINK THE SHIP ON YOUR WAY OUT!!!

Mesa's CEO Jonathan Ornstein, "We don't write the rules, we abide by them. We've done it for 25 years and will continue to do so for the next 25 years."

What a tool! That comment is totally unexceptable.

But does legal mean safe? The FAA says yes.
"We believe current work rule hours are sufficient and effective. It's really up to the pilots and the airline to make sure they are properly rested," said Ian Gregor, FAA Pacific Regional Spokesman.

No it's not safe! You can fly reduced rest but you can't fly more then 30/100. The stupidest rule ever. Give me 12 hours rest everyday and I can fly 40 hr weeks and 160 months or some variation of that. I personally wouldn't want to to but there are pilots out there that need the money and it would be safe for them to fly those hours.

Last edited:
You may think this incident will focus national attention on the fatigue issue, but you'd be wrong. The American people just want cheap transportation. Revising the rest rules would just require airlines to hire more crews, and would raise fares.

All that will happen is this crew will be publicly castigated as bad guys, will be disposed of, and the public will think the bad apples have been weeded out. Then they will stick their heads back in the sand and pretend the fatigue issue doesn't exist, while they sit back and enjoy their $199 transcon flight and bitch there's no free meal service.

Remember, Aloha's lawsuit is just around the corner! GET OUT NOW while there are still jobs out there and you don't have to contend with the ENTIRE UNEMPLOYED MESA PILOT GROUP as your competition. FLEE. RUN. DO IT. SAVE YOURSELF AND SINK THE SHIP ON YOUR WAY OUT!!!

With all the merger talk, hiring at the regionals has slowed down. There are still good jobs out there, but when MESA goes under many of the jobs will no longer be there. Getting out while you still can may be great advice. Be carefull where you go. SkyWest, ASA, and Chataqua seem like the safest bets.

I think that as soon as the Aloha lawsuit is over Mesa will be done. They have been losing money for a while now. Once the cash is gone they cannot survive. There is no way the can compete. They cannot get the lease rates needed to compete against stronger airlines like SkyWest and Chataqua.

Mesa has been in a downward spiral for a while now, but the Go operation has put MESA in a nosedive.

It used to be that MESA sucked, but you knew the doors would be open there and you would be able to collect a paycheck. Now MESA still sucks, and there is no longer the guarantee of a paycheck. At some point they will close the door owing money to their employees, while JO has a good ole time in his house in Malibu.

Not Aloha's lawsuit.

Hawaiian won their lawsuit, and now it's our turn. From what Judge Faris was saying, Aloha has a much stronger case than Hawaiian.

Latest resources

Back