• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kelly: SWA costs too high

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Listen, I hope you guys keep your pay rates and work rules. That helps raise the bar for all of us. However, reading the CEO's memo makes me think that's the opening salvo in your next contract talks.

Capital costs are fixed. Fuel costs are what they are. The easiest costs to control in the airline business are labor costs. Sadly, I think he's coming for yours.

Just trying to be positive there little general. I never wanted bad things to happen to y'all during the NW deal but it's a whole different attitude from my delta friends who can only put down south west. It was reported a while back that ATL was desperate for $ during the construction of that terminal.

Maybe it's all paid for now but I'm sure the politicians would be happy for more $. SW just saved $ by not getting gates in DC do maybe they can buy some ATL gates for their future mega hub. Just kidding not hating.

Yeah, I don't think SWA will be using the new terminal very much. As far as putting down SWA, I actually think it is a pretty darn good company, it's just some of the SWA guys on here are a bit too cocky. Some of them didn't treat their new Airtran brothers well during the SLI talks too, which will stick with them for awhile. I also hope they don't give up a penny on their current rates, because that is where I would like our 737 payrates to be someday. I don't hate SWA at all, I just think a few guys on here need to realize where they currently are, and realize where they could go next, which is down.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Listen, I hope you guys keep your pay rates and work rules. That helps raise the bar for all of us. However, reading the CEO's memo makes me think that's the opening salvo in your next contract talks.

Capital costs are fixed. Fuel costs are what they are. The easiest costs to control in the airline business are labor costs. Sadly, I think he's coming for yours.

I agree with Fubi. Hopefully though you will hold on to those rates until after we try to get them ourselves for our 737s. Fingers crossed!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Isn't it cool when a Union leader criticizes a great contract and pilots using it to make a great wage.

We are ALPA, and we are defeated before the first shot is fired.
I am just glad he was on your side. How long will it take him to remove that stupid we are alpo tag anyway?

Everyone mocks and laughs at United, but I'm beginning to see a money making machine. In a few years, I think United will be the hot place to be. Especially if we get a good contract, it'll be hard to get an interview. With the upcoming movement and retirements, this will be the place to be. SW and Kelly are starting to feel the heat and they're looking around to make it run better and make more money for investors. But eventually, something has to give and that's usually employee wages. Also, SW will change the guard over time and that, unfortunately, will change SW's culture. In 5 or so years, it'll be a different place. Then again...2012 is coming and the Mayan calendar ends....so it's all over anyways.
Yeah just like the good ole days....Your an F/O, minority, woman, your hired...sweet

Thanks General. I know u were supportive of us during the whole integration so thank u. Maybe a SW guy can verify but in their quarterly brief I read mentioned sick calls have cost the company $ Fatigue calls increased as well so my guess is instead of pay cuts there will be some changes to work rules vs hourly rates. I skimmed the article in order to give it back to the owner. Lots of good press about the 800 which is why I brought it up.

Last edited:
I agree with Fubi. Hopefully though you will hold on to those rates until after we try to get them ourselves for our 737s. Fingers crossed!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I posted this on another thread and you "forgot" to "debate" it. I figured you did not see it so:
So GENERAL CHEESE, you claim DAL is shooting for SWA rates, right?

Fact:

Currently in the 737NG,

DAL 12yr FO: $119/hr
DAL 12yr CA: 174/hr

SWA 12yr FO: $147/hr
SWA 12yr CA: $210/hr

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IF/WHEN DAL ALPO GETS YOUR NEXT CONTRACT THAT DAL FO'S WILL GET A 23% RAISE AND DAL CAPTS WILL GET A 21% RAISE TO GET SWA RATES?

You can even ask the LBB accountant for help!! I bet she's FANTASTIC!!:blush:

I have a good idea, how about charging a fair price for the ticket! Instead of this $69.0 stuff, why not charge a more reasonable price, based on operating cost? I guess we'll see how SW does with some stiff competition and less hedges!

I have a good idea, how about charging a fair price for the ticket! Instead of this $69.0 stuff, why not charge a more reasonable price, based on operating cost? I guess we'll see how SW does with some stiff competition and less hedges!

Game on brethren.:nuts: Not scared of you at all. But keep undercutting us thinking that'll be the magic pill to help you win. I'll take our "overpaid" people against yours any day.
;):beer:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back