Just passed on NetJets class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good jub supporting the kid Reality

"One thing about NJA is that SIU won't have the kind of adventures here he may encounter flying over in the Middle East. I'm not talking about Indiana Jones swinging over crevasses in underground tomb type of adventures (although I am eagerly awaiting the release of the new movie!), but the kind he'll probably relate to his kids later in life (assuming he doesn't get hurt or killed in some of the more dangerous areas he's likely to fly into). "

Look kid.. I'm assuming you are relatively young.

There ain't no "Do overs", "Kings X's".

"Dead, is dead, senority is seniority, hot is hot, suck is suck".

I don't mean to speak down to you in any way. It's your path, those that have known me a long time here have seen me fail at some very wonderful opportunities.

I came out on top, I hope you do as well.

If you don't think bad things can happen to you where your going thats fine. (Never let your guard down, you aren't in Kansas anymore)

I guess it would better if you are surprised.

By the way, did I tell you about "throwing down" with the Netjets Crew in Dubai while I was on active duty there?

"Been there done that", got burned out fast! "I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere" (Johnny Cash) (So have Netjets crews)

Good luck man.

It isn't fraternity initiation where you have to "accept" the offer.....He failed?...At what?...

I wasn't aware that turning down a job offer constitutes a failure.

That doesn't make any sense.

No worries bro. I'm sure he made the best decision in light of current domestic aviation industry health and the current state of Middle East acceptance of being American...

If you gotta ask the question he did in post #1, you are either looking fro flame or have REALLY different values than most US pilots.

I wish him the BEST of luck. From my perspective, he'll need it.

If you gotta ask the question he did, you won't be happy here. This is a win-win for everyone.

It isn't fraternity initiation where you have to "accept" the offer.....He failed?...At what?...

I wasn't aware that turning down a job offer constitutes a failure.

That doesn't make any sense.

No worries bro. I'm sure he made the best decision in light of current domestic aviation industry health and the current state of Middle East acceptance of being American...

If you gotta ask the question he did in post #1, you are either looking fro flame or have REALLY different values than most US pilots.

I wish him the BEST of luck. From my perspective, he'll need it.

If you gotta ask the question he did, you won't be happy here. This is a win-win for everyone.

Let's look at the positive here. I don't have to fly with a guy who feels more comfortable flying people who hate us and love to keep the oil collar on us like dogs.

Oh darn.

siu - first, if you're in your 20's, you're doing the right thing in going for the Dubai gig. If you're in your 30's, I'd be thinking differently. Since I didn't see where you said how old you are, I'll assume you're in your 20's.

When I was in my 20s, I went overseas for several years. Did it set me back in my career? Maybe. But I know if I hadn't gone, I'd be kicking myself now. Regret is a terrible thing. I've heard too many people say, "I wish I would have..." or, "If I could do it over again I'd..." or, "I'll go see the world when I retire."

I am happy to say I don't have any regrets, and you won't catch me saying any of those things. I took a chance, had some fabulous and unforgettable experiences, and eventually came back and got on with my "adult" life.

You will have the advantage of making a crapload more money than I did, and getting to come home on a regular basis.

Good luck to you, and have fun!

To answer some questions, I am 26. In talking to my friend who has just gotten back after his last six weeks in Dubai had his trips take him to Paris, London, Moscow, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Morocco, Rome, Riyadh, and a few other nights that I cant remember, most of his trips allowed him two or three nights in each place, he said that the only place that he went where he did not feel 100% safe was Riyadh, but he stayed at an American hotel, with lots and lots of security there. His pay for the six weeks comes out to 18,750, he will be soon getting his per diem check of about 4,000 he also picked up 4,800 in tips. He is now in the process of looking to buy a home and pay cash. During his four weeks that he is home he will get his monthly pay of 12,500 dollars, while home of course he will not be receiving his 100 dollar a day per-diem.
I will be starting with this company as Captain on the CL-64, I will be paired for the first six months with one of their senior captains. Almost all of their pilots are Americans, quite a few from the regionals, and as it turns out two guys are former NJA guys.
Many of you have asked about being imprisoned in these other countries for no good reason. I guess that is a risk that we all must take while flying internationally, look at the Legacy crew who had the mid-air over Brazil.
Did I make the right choice? Only time will tell, I do think that those of you who are convinced that I made a huge mistake should give it time, I will keep you all updated as to my progression over there and let you all know what it is like. I do know that things in the US aviation market are changing, NJA is a very popular place right now for the wealthy, however if the economy and the price of fuel continue their trend even the wealthy may not be so frugal with their money, and may get back on the airlines. And where do you think that all of the money is going that we are spending on fuel? Thats right, its all going to the middle east, the economy is booming, and there is plenty of money to go around, everyone out there is buying corporate jets, and fractional ownerships, today I heard of a start up fractional company based out of Abu Dhabi.

Q.O.L. 1st....then $$$$$.

You made the right choice for your situation.

A one month paid vacation every 6 weeks???

Enjoy....Take lots of pics.....And wear a 'jimmy!!'

Good luck and keep us updated!!

Baja.

SIU:

My father has done the 30/30 rotation to the Middle East for almost 40 years. He works in a different industry (oil) and has spent loads of time in the more westernized (Doha, Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi) and the less westernized places in the Middle East (like Yemen). He loves the work and the people out there believe it or not.

Arabs are different than westerners. Learn about them and respect them... you're a guest in their country. That was his approach and it seemed to work out fine. We have so many special gifts at home from nomad tribesmen in Yemen who formed bonds with my father and promised not to shoot holes in the oil lines running to the coast. They held to their promises most of the time (another trait of Arabs).

As for chasing the dollar, my father is paid well for his time which is why he has no interest in working in the US (poor pay). NJA's pay is not poor by any means, but you can make more over there.

You might like it or you might hate it, but give it a shot. The Middle East won't be booming forever, so be ready to follow the job market to a different location when the money well dries up.

Just my .02.

Skyward80

You may want to look into not coming back to the US at all for a year or so. Not sure about the tax laws now, but back in the dark ages we used to carry RCA and Bendix contract workers over to Joberg SA from Ascension Island for R/R so they were able to work there US tax free. With the money you will be making I can assure you Hillary/Barack - hell even John will be wanting a big chunk of it. Live in the Caymans and invite everybody down !

Latest resources

Back