• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JumpSeat Question for ALL crewmembers.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Offline Jumpseat Grievance Status: As you know, in February 2002 the Union filed a grievance regarding management's failure to allow offline pilots access to company jumpseats, thereby placing our reciprocal jumpseat agreements in jeopardy and violating Section 26.J. of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA). Management refused to process this grievance, arguing that it was not a proper subject for negotiations under the Railway Labor Act and that the use of offline jumpseats is not related in any way to our CBA. In response to this, ALPA filed suit in U.S. District Court to force management to process the jumpseat grievance under the terms of our contract. The lower court ruled against the Union, and ALPA appealed that decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals. Briefs have been filed, and the court is scheduled to hear arguments in our appeal on January 10. MEC Chairman, Captain David Webb, will be in attendance at the hearing, and we will keep you informed of any decision in this case."

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that something is being done.

Anybody got any idea when/if controllers might be able to ride a jumpseat again? Keeping in mind, the FAA/GAO will insist we actually ride in the cockpit. (which I don't mind at all btw)

I am trying to understand the logic behind making the JS policy at an airline like Delta ONLY ONE ALLOWED?

I commute out of ATL and I have been left behind many times because a fed or a Delta guy bumped me and the airplane was empty!

What does Delta gain by leaving the gate with one less person?

I cant help but notice that in most all cases the dispatchers are not mentioned as able to J/S...this causes allot of confusion and distress at the gates. Many Gate agents dont know we can ride and if they do, they dont know what priority we would get....

I realize the J/S agreements are written by the pilots primarily for other pilots, but it would sure be appreciated if you guys would add the dispatcher in the wording somewhere. I see only a few that do this.

Since we are on the bottom of the food chain, and many of us still commute to work, it would really be nice to be noticed again and this would help the G agents out as well.

Thanks to the Airtran and SWA guys and gals, they seem to "get it" as it concerns flight dispatchers ability to J/S.....

Bargaining power. . .

av8tor4239 said:
I am trying to understand the logic behind making the JS policy at an airline like Delta ONLY ONE ALLOWED?

I commute out of ATL and I have been left behind many times because a fed or a Delta guy bumped me and the airplane was empty!

What does Delta gain by leaving the gate with one less person?
Bargaining power. It is something that the pilot group wants; so the company can get "something" for nothing.

Someone mentioned United's Jumpseat Policy in a negative light in an earlier thread, I would like to share a United Jumpseat Experience:

I was working for Empire Airlines at the time, commuting from CVG to ORD, showed up at the gate a little late to find the old '73 already had 2 jumpers, both UAL onboard, so I sat down at the gate and flipped through my timetables trying to find another connection.
The UAL Capt. on that flight noticed my shiny shoes through the terminal window, came hustling up the jetway and proceeded to use one of his UAL passes to get me a ride to work, 5 mins prior to ' push '.
All he said at the end of the flight when I thanked him for the ride and asked what I owed him for his pass was: " Just keep this in mind son, and do the same for your fellow pilot's. "
Made a deep impression on me.
Thanks for all the rides UAL and best of luck.

Cheers.

Marc.

Mesaba is unlimited, If there is a seat it is yours.

If the your on an Avro route 1st class if it's open.

Welcome aboard.

p.s. I jump seat as much as anyone at least twice a week. ATA and SWA are the best I have been on.

Ill say it again Delta's way of doing things suck's last time I tried to ride 757 with 50 passangers WIDE open. I get bumped as a last min Delta guys strools up 15 min prior to push. Leaving me to sleep at the SLC airport and catch the 5am SWA ride.

At Horizon we take as many as we have seats. And, if you are a CASS member you can ride up front if there are no seats in the back!

TIGV said:
Someone mentioned United's Jumpseat Policy in a negative light in an earlier thread, I would like to share a United Jumpseat Experience:

I was working for Empire Airlines at the time, commuting from CVG to ORD, showed up at the gate a little late to find the old '73 already had 2 jumpers, both UAL onboard, so I sat down at the gate and flipped through my timetables trying to find another connection.
The UAL Capt. on that flight noticed my shiny shoes through the terminal window, came hustling up the jetway and proceeded to use one of his UAL passes to get me a ride to work, 5 mins prior to ' push '.
All he said at the end of the flight when I thanked him for the ride and asked what I owed him for his pass was: " Just keep this in mind son, and do the same for your fellow pilot's. "
Made a deep impression on me.
Thanks for all the rides UAL and best of luck.

Cheers.

Marc.
ALL the Majors with restrictive policies have left me at the gate (with empty seats aboard).
However, I have also been met with occaisonal, random acts of courtesy...
UAL and DL persons have gotten me onboard when the rules said I shouldn't have been...
One DL Gate Agent gave me a 1st class seat when the JS was full. "Oh, hell! It's going anyway!" he said. More than one DL jumpseaters have taken passes (at their expense of approx $20 bucks, I understand) and refused to let me reimburse them. Same with an Air Wisconsin Capt. that took a UA pass to get me on.
There are some really great people in this business, despite their company policies. My sincere thanks to them ALL!
One of the best stories I have heard was at Emery. The Capt arrived at the DC-8 on X-Mas eve to find 12 jumpseaters (4 jumpseats). He looked around and said, "Just don't everybody get off at once!".

Latest resources

Back