• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JumpSeat Question for ALL crewmembers.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
all due respect, what about Comair on SWA, we take as many as there are seats available.

cheers

And don't plan on being in first

Boeingman said:
Limited to the number of actual jumpseats on CO. Sorry, they are a stickler about it as well.

To the UAL guy giving me a hard time about that in LAX last month, I didn't make up the policy.

Yeah, and don't plan on being in first either, especially international. . . One CO dude told me they don't even put their OWN pilots in first. They're pretty nice, but pretty stingy with the JS's.

At AirTran, the first off-line jumpseater rides free. After that off-line jumpseat is given out, they will sell other off-line pilots a pass for $25.

Definitely not as good as unlimited jumpseats, but better than watching a half-empty airplane leave without me because they already took 1 lousy jumpseater.

FWIW, the Airtran pilots do not like this charge, and it is one of things being addressed in our upcoming contract talks.

I actually had some idiot from USAirways get p.o.'d at one of our nicest gate agents the other day, when she told him about the charge. I had to point out to this idiot that it wasn;t her policy, it wasn't my policy, and it was still better than Delta, which wouldn't take him at all, since they already had a jumpseater. He said, "I've already taken a 64% pay cut, I can't afford to pay $25 for a jumpseat, too!" and stomped off.

He probably didn't realize it, but an AirTran pilot can sit on the FA jumpseat to free up a seat in the cabin for a jumpseater . . . . but we have to be in uniform to do so. Next time we are full, and he wants a ride, do you think I am going to go into the bathroom and change into my uniform and sit on the FA jumpseat so this rude a-hole can ride? I don't think so . . .

Last edited:
Ty identified a few things here that are worth repeating:

Try to learn everyone's jumpseat policy as best as you can...I've asked the gate agents what the jumpseat policy is...if I'm planning on jumpseating on Delta, I'm always planning on being there early, (and always trying to have another backup plan in mind). Some agents from other airlines (and your own too) are downright out to make your jumpseat experience as painful as possible. Keep your cool, and be polite.

Don't be rude

Don't be rude

and most important...DON'T BE RUDE!

**RECIPROCITY? (yes I saw "Clear and Present Danger")...

If you're frustrated with someone's jumpseat policy, don't go there...Like Ty hinted at, if a specific AirTran pilot is being a real knot head, PLEASE don't take it out on other AirTran pilots, just for the sake of "making a point"...All you do is end up screwing some unsuspecting pilot simply trying to get from point A to point B...

I'm just waiting for some AirTran pilot to be denied a jumpseat on US Airways because some Capt/First Officer says: "Well, you guys at AirTran really screwed me, so I'm not giving you a ride"...

I think that we at Airtran are probably some of the easiest guys to get along with in the jumpseat system, at least I sure hope so.

I have seen Captains take a delay to get a jumpseater on . . . I have seen guys change into uniform to let an off-line guy on the airplane . . . When a CSR mistakenly charged a UAL guy for a pass when the only jumpseater on board was an off-line F/A, I saw a CA take a delay, go trough the CSR, then through her Supervisor to get this guy his money back. A 15-20 minute delay (at LGA, no less) just to try to make things right.

I am sure other airlines have their own, similar stories. I know we all appreciate it when someone takes a few extra seconds to make you feel welcome. I actually had a Delta FA give me a full bottle of wine as a "parting gift" when I deplaned on New Years' Day. If only it had been a female F/A . . . ., but it was still appreciated. ;)

PurpleTail said:
I am trying to educate myself so I do NOT go threw the same frustrations I experienced this morning ever again getting home.

Question...Which airlines only allow one or two jumpseaters (no matter how empty the flight is) and which airlines will take as many as they can handle? Besides United I'm trying to figure out who to AVOID in the future.

99% of the time I hop on SWA (first choice) and I can not tell you how grateful I am that these are the most accepting, gracious, hospitable, welcoming group of pilots in the industry (IMHO). If I have to spend my money out of my own pocket SWA gets it every time for their wonderful customer service.

This morning though United had an earlier flight (that I listed on and only half full) that would have me home almost an hour earlier. When I got to the gate the agent said rudely "Nope, sorry...someone else beat you to it. We only allow 1 jumpseater and that is it. Bye Bye." Great customer service for a bankrupt airline.

By the way, when was the last time FedEX took ANYBODY on their jumpseat that didn't work for them?? (Hint - its been more than 3 years).

I would think that the problems your are having with your own management getting CASS approved would give you the slightest glimmer of understanding that jumpseat policies are not reflective of what the pilot group wants - but what they are able to negotiate (or what their management sees fit to approve).

PurpleTail said:
I am trying to educate myself so I do NOT go threw the same frustrations I experienced this morning ever again getting home.

Question...Which airlines only allow one or two jumpseaters (no matter how empty the flight is) and which airlines will take as many as they can handle? Besides United I'm trying to figure out who to AVOID in the future.

99% of the time I hop on SWA (first choice) and I can not tell you how grateful I am that these are the most accepting, gracious, hospitable, welcoming group of pilots in the industry (IMHO). If I have to spend my money out of my own pocket SWA gets it every time for their wonderful customer service.

This morning though United had an earlier flight (that I listed on and only half full) that would have me home almost an hour earlier. When I got to the gate the agent said rudely "Nope, sorry...someone else beat you to it. We only allow 1 jumpseater and that is it. Bye Bye." Great customer service for a bankrupt airline.

I am not a UAL employee, but work for Air Wisconsin. We take as many jumpseaters as we have open seats in the back. UAL allows as many jumpseaters as there are jumpseats, i.e. 1 in a 737, 2 in an airbus, 1 or 2 in a 757, etc. Sorry you had a bad experience with the gate agent, but unfortunately jumpseaters are sometimes treated that way. It also doesn't help if you approach the gate with a sense of entitlement.

By the way, do you guys at Fed Ex offer the jumpseat yet? I know that I have given plenty of your pilots rides the last few years and yet I can't utilize your jumpseat. I know this is no fault of your own, but what is being done about this?

737tanker said:
As of now SWA officially gives unlimited jumpseats to Alaska, American, American Eagle, America West, ATA, Frontier, Horizon, Jet Blue, Mesa, Skywest, & USAirways (to include USAir Express).

Air Wisconsin has been offering unlimited jumpseats for quite a while now. Is there any chance of "offically" adding us to your unlimited list? Thanks.

I jumpseat on AirTran several times a year, they are ALWAYS great to me. As far as the $25 is concerned, if i'm about to get stuck in ATL because of Delta's only 1 j/s'er policy- i'll gladly give AirTran $25 for a ride home (usually in 1st class). BTW you guys have some kick a$$ F/A's.

Fed-Ex guy's- even though i'm an FO, when they are jumpseating on my flight I always say "Welcome aboard, when will we be able to j/s on you?"
I dont think denying the jumpseat to anyone will help fix the situation, but reminding them everytime they jumpseat that I could use a ride home makes me fell a little better.

Thanks, VGerect- glad to hear it. Sorry about the $25., but I agree, it's better than spending $35. at the Wellesley and another $30. at Spondivits . . . or Malone's . . . . . or B-52's . . . . or . . . . the Gold Club (Airline employees get in free with their ID).

Latest resources

Back