• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JumpSeat Question for ALL crewmembers.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Free Admission to the Gold Club with my ID!!!!!! Maybe I need to get stuck ATL once in a while...........................................

Althoguh we are not FAR 121, Ameriflight is allowing jumpseaters once again. Most aircraft only have one jumpseat available. Call our headquarters to reserve it and you are pretty much guaranteed the seat. Its a different kind of option if the airlines are full or you don't feel like dealing with busy airport terminals.

hr2eternity said:
Yeah, and don't plan on being in first either, especially international. . . One CO dude told me they don't even put their OWN pilots in first. They're pretty nice, but pretty stingy with the JS's.

That is correct. It is a policy written from the top and one that is universally despised by the pilots, but our hands are tied.

Ever notice how most of the "Can't we just help a brother out" crowd seem to work for companies that do NOT have an unlimited jumpseat policy? Or better yet, in the case of PurpleTail NO jumpseat policy.

"Great customer service for a bankrupt airline."

Technically, you aren't a customer if you are hitching a FREE ride.

Caveman said:
Ever notice how most of the "Can't we just help a brother out" crowd seem to work for companies that do NOT have an unlimited jumpseat policy? Or better yet, in the case of PurpleTail NO jumpseat policy.

"Great customer service for a bankrupt airline."

Technically, you aren't a customer if you are hitching a FREE ride.

True, except one might consider that since we have no non-rev privileges for our families we are POTENTIAL customers at each airline gracious enough to allow us to jumpseat. Due to the fabulous treatment I've received at AirTran as a jumpseater I now go out of my way to travel as a PAYING customer with them whenever my family of four travels. Karma, my friend, karma. We will re-instate offline jumpseats someday soon and no one will be happier than the FedEx pilots who currently offer nothing in return but cookies and shipping discounts...:)

Frats,
hoya

Last edited:
CASS Info

The following are the airlines that have CASS up and running:

American Airlines (AA)
American Eagle (AA)
Atlas Air (5Y)
Executive Airlines (AA)
Continental Airlines (CO)
JetBlue (B6)
Northwest Airlines (NW)
United Airlines (UA)
United Parcel Service (UP)
Alaska Airlines (AS)

Everyone should remember that the rules say if there is a seat in the back you have to take it - under CASS you are only allowed to sit in the cockpit if the back end is full. Also, in the very late stages of CASS implementation, the TSA decided to limit the CASS program to domestic only. We are working on them and hope that once the six month test phase is over they will extend it to international flights too.

The following airlines should be implementing the program soon:

Airborne Express (GB)
ASTAR Air Cargo (ER)
ATA Airlines (TZ)
FedEx (FX)
Polar Air Cargo (PO)

"We will re-instate offline jumpseats someday soon..."

Three+ years and counting with no end in sight. The only way I'll ever get to ride on a FedEx JS is if my company pays to implement CASS. That isn't going to happen, but you still get to ride on us unlimited and no out of pocket expense to your company. How about FedEx/UPS et al pony up the cash to get everyone online with CASS? Didn't think so......

rightrudder
The jumpseat list for SWA is determined by the Company. The only way to get added, or become unlimited, is to contact SWA Flight Ops. Also if you have your jumpseat coordinator contact the SWAPA jumpseat coordinator that should speed things up. We've also been told that CASS should be up and running at SWA in the next few months.

Recently from our FedEx ALPA MEC:

Offline Jumpseat Grievance Status: As you know, in February 2002 the Union filed a grievance regarding management's failure to allow offline pilots access to company jumpseats, thereby placing our reciprocal jumpseat agreements in jeopardy and violating Section 26.J. of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA). Management refused to process this grievance, arguing that it was not a proper subject for negotiations under the Railway Labor Act and that the use of offline jumpseats is not related in any way to our CBA. In response to this, ALPA filed suit in U.S. District Court to force management to process the jumpseat grievance under the terms of our contract. The lower court ruled against the Union, and ALPA appealed that decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals. Briefs have been filed, and the court is scheduled to hear arguments in our appeal on January 10. MEC Chairman, Captain David Webb, will be in attendance at the hearing, and we will keep you informed of any decision in this case.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back