• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue/SWA linkup may be in the works.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, but at Jet Blue, luckily, you are a full-time contract employee.

The sky does not always fall.

cliff
LFW

Jetpipe and Cheeta... got reports on both of your posts.. plz.. cool down.. posts uncalled for and TOS violations both.. let it go...

clr4///

Yes, but at Jet Blue, luckily, you are a full-time contract employee.

The sky does not always fall.

cliff
LFW
I respect your opinion Cliff.
However, I have never come across the term "full-time contract employee" while reading this law/amendment.

Again, I wish your term and opinion were the case. Either way, when discussing several opinions on FI the cost is $0.00...

Discussing several opinions in court, MUCH more expensive.

Sky's not falling, just adding to the discussion. I've actually read the legal document, while most state an opinion based on their belief of the topic rather then factual information.

Please direct me to where you found the term "full-time contractual employee" so that I may add to my knowledge base. This would make me feel much better about the topic and I would love for that to be the case. Did I miss that term while reading?

Thanks...

Sail,

I see your concern and understand why a true definition of a JB pilot as FULL TIME is so important. While not a perfect system (the contract) we do have a few things that would pull for us in court. One of them being that if a court tried to define us even with a contract, we would still be considered FULL time for a few reasons. 1. Our benefits (health, dental std, LOL etc..) are all based on a selection from the "FULL TIME EMPLOYEES" list of the benefits package every year. Basically, we are selecting the benifits package for the group of employee that we are....which is from the FULL TIME Menu. Second, if you go into BCSS, your employee type as defined in the JB system is "Full Time". These are just a few examples of how even though we have a revolving 5 year contract, we fall under the status of Full Time employee. The second one, and a big one, is that we DONT have to re-negotiate a contract every 5 years. It automatically carries over to the next cycle unless you meet the definition of the few things that are terminating offenses....and those are clearly spelled out. Under state and federal labor law, being employed and lumped into the same category as regular non contract full time employees as well as not having to re-negotiate AND sign a new contract at the end of its term does make us legally viewed full time employees who work under a "floating" or revolving employee contract for the means of pay and work rules. I have had long discussions with my girlfriends father over this who is a labor law attorney in the state of Texas and who is very well respected in his field. He specializes in employee and union labor law with many of the oil workers in the gulf and is no way a "company guy". He agrees 100% that we are full time and would be covered under the McCaskil/ Bond amendment. Now, having said that, do I think there are still a lot of issues that need to be addressed....yes, but the fear and concern over being labeled "Full Time" vs "Part Time" for the definition of the McCaskil/ Bond amendment is a non issue.

Hi!

I have no idea what the amendment says, but everyone at a formal job is employed either "full-time" or "part-time" (or they are unemployed). As a pilot for JetBlue, which of the two most accurately reflects your status?

cliff
LFW

Cliff....good point.

Well, full time pilot with full time benefits rules based on Full Time employee.....so, just a guess, but I would assume FULL TIME.

Does a JetBlue pilot receive a 1099? If so, there have been recent rulings that an "independent contractor" (which I believe is what you are calling JetBlue pilots) is not considered independent if the organization dictates when and how they perform a job. I think that is where you are getting confused. You are saying that a Jetblue pilot is a temporary, independent contractor, and that is not the case. A JetBlue pilot is a full-time employee and is unable to perform other jobs without consent of the company, and is directed when and how to perform his or her duties in that position. By legal definition, that is not a contract employee. Just because there is a contract involved, does not make the employee a contractor. If I remember correctly, there are a few more airlines that have contracts too, aren't there?

Bond-McCaskil doesn't refer to "full time employees". It references "not temporary employees". Big difference. It's safe to say the pilots at JetBlue are not temporary employees.

Our PEAs are really no different from a CBA in the sense that neither one ever actually expires. A CBA becomes ammendable on a certain date and until it's ammended everything remains the same. Our PEAs perpetually renew themselves on a predetermined basis and unless they are ammended everything remains the same.

I don't think there's any doubt that we are full time employees (I get a W-2 not a 1099). I also have no doubt that in a merger it would be challenged by the other pilot group. I'm confident we would prevail, but until it's tested we won't know for sure.

Bond-McCaskil doesn't refer to "full time employees". It references "not temporary employees". Big difference. It's safe to say the pilots at JetBlue are not temporary employees.

I agree and further Title 49 of USC differentiates between, full time, part time and temporary employees.

Jetblue pilot are either full-time or temporary.

We are not both under Title 49.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back