• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue/SWA linkup may be in the works.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While entertaining, SWA will not buy or merge with anybody (in my opinion) for a long time, if ever again (ala Morris Air).

Sail,

I see your concern and understand why a true definition of a JB pilot as FULL TIME is so important. While not a perfect system (the contract) we do have a few things that would pull for us in court. One of them being that if a court tried to define us even with a contract, we would still be considered FULL time for a few reasons. 1. Our benefits (health, dental std, LOL etc..) are all based on a selection from the "FULL TIME EMPLOYEES" list of the benefits package every year. Basically, we are selecting the benifits package for the group of employee that we are....which is from the FULL TIME Menu. Second, if you go into BCSS, your employee type as defined in the JB system is "Full Time". These are just a few examples of how even though we have a revolving 5 year contract, we fall under the status of Full Time employee. The second one, and a big one, is that we DONT have to re-negotiate a contract every 5 years. It automatically carries over to the next cycle unless you meet the definition of the few things that are terminating offenses....and those are clearly spelled out. Under state and federal labor law, being employed and lumped into the same category as regular non contract full time employees as well as not having to re-negotiate AND sign a new contract at the end of its term does make us legally viewed full time employees who work under a "floating" or revolving employee contract for the means of pay and work rules. I have had long discussions with my girlfriends father over this who is a labor law attorney in the state of Texas and who is very well respected in his field. He specializes in employee and union labor law with many of the oil workers in the gulf and is no way a "company guy". He agrees 100% that we are full time and would be covered under the McCaskil/ Bond amendment. Now, having said that, do I think there are still a lot of issues that need to be addressed....yes, but the fear and concern over being labeled "Full Time" vs "Part Time" for the definition of the McCaskil/ Bond amendment is a non issue.

Good Info.

Thanks for the input Longhorn.

While entertaining, SWA will not buy or merge with anybody (in my opinion) for a long time, if ever again (ala Morris Air).

I hope you're right, but I also learned a long time ago to never say never. Especially in this industry and with this airline.

That said, if we have to get married, I'd rather it be to B6 than anyone else.

DOH, anyone? :cool:

both are as full of sh!t as any other airline ceo. SWA and JB are not the lowest fare (maybe for the first 3 seats on a half moon every other tue at 1 pm) but not all the time like they want you to think.

second compared to the legacy carrier(s) they don't fly anywhere near as many destinations, great if you want to go to mickey land, bad if you are selling 2.5 million in hydro pumps to a beer factory in Belgium.

spin spin spin, nobody wants to tell the truth anymore, just what they think people want to hear or what keep $$$ coming in the door.

McCaskil/ Bond amenment....wake up!

Wake up?

Dude...nothing in your PEA says a purchaser is required to integrate JetBlue pilots. The PEA only says that if a Transactional Event is expected to merge the operations then...blah...blah...

The new statue doesn't require a purchaser to integrate an airline it acquires. It only refers to 'covered transactions" and an acquisition that does not result in a merger of operation does not fall under the new statute because it is not a covered transaction.

Now if you think our size, 150 aircraft, will prevent the deal that SWAPA offered F9 then I think you are wrong.

I will never happen anyway. If SWA buys anyone they will take what they want, sell the rest and throw away the employees.

Bingo...nothing requires the purchaser to integrate the airline except a CBA with negotiate language that requires it.

Without a CBA with successorship then we are D.E.A.D.

But the PVC said they are working on it and the BOB will say the ALPA vote stalled the final language and implementation.

When or if the ALPA vote fails the pilots will ask: Where is the language. To which the company will say: you are not going to tell us how to run our airline.

Last edited:
Bingo...nothing requires the purchaser to integrate the airline except a CBA with negotiate language that requires it.

I don't see that the ALPA negotiated CBA's of ATA and Midwest did much to help those pilots out when they were bought.

Latest resources

Back