• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like a good idea to me. I think there should be a separate elected merger committee that woud be in charge of using these funds if/when the moment came up.

Alright Guys......Let`s think about this!

1193 of our blue brothers and sisters dismissed a notion of committing 2% of their pay for the benefits of aero medical, legal and yes merger representation by way of a big fat NO VOTE to ALPA. BTW, my comment is not a plug for alpa or for any other representing body............. But c`mon! Do you think the mass of our cheap skate blue comrades would pony up a single nickel to fund a M&A war chest? JEEZ.........most captains won`t dig deep into their cash lined pockets to buy the first beer. Also: just like BPF (which I am blessed to contribute to) Do we set up a charter and by-laws to distribute the money in the "more than likley" event our contrarian company is purchased by the big bad AMR Corp.

All I am saying is this: Our company and specifically our ELT has pushed the Direct Relationship down our naive throats. If any Jet Blue Pilot believes in his/her heart that Dave and company are going to look out for our professional and personal intrests in the event of a transactional event.... I`ll see you all down in the unemployment line.

If we were part of a union we would be taking care of these cost ourselves as well. ALPA merger policy does not allow national funds or regular dues to be used during a merger(that may only be an ALPA/ALPA merger).

We would all have to pay into a seperate merger fund. I realize we would be able to use these funds collectivley though.

I wonder if it would be possible to set up our own fund similar to the BPF, with the sole purpose of collective merger representation, wether through the PVC or separately.

The reality is that we would have to pay for it either way.

Anybody think the JBPA will start up again?

Not necessarily. No Pinnacle, Mesaba or Colgan pilots had to chip in or set up another fund during the merger for those companies. Not sure what was up with Comair essentially handing out the collection plate for a merger that may or may not ever come.

Most of our pilots make more money than many Legacy carrier pilots. With Captains makeing over 200k a year and a lot of FO's makeing over 100k a year. True, most legacy FO's make 100k+, but they are also doing that at 50 years old with 15+ years at the company. Our guys are doing it with 3+ years at JB. Many guys also have a better QOL. Not exactly leading the race to the bottom. Unemployment line? Really? How many JB pilots have ever been furloghed? I can't remember. Oh ya. "0".

Yes, Things need to be improved upon. Yes, in a court of law our 5 docs. will be torn apart, and probably not worth the paper they are printed on. A CBA might have been better for the group, but a CBA would also get torn apart in a court of law. That has been proven over and over again, and 1100+ of our pilots here have witnessed that first hand. Every JB pilot is just hoping the cards all fall in our direction, myself included of course.

I understand your anger and dissapointment, but this bolded section of your quote is complete incorrect and false.

Ok so the Jetblue guys that sit on their computers 24 hours a day waiting for their FLICA ALERTs so they can run back to the airport and fill every little whole in their schedule with some more soft time, they make a decent w2. Its all good until they get sick,injured,or need retirement. All their sick and vacation time or PTO is converted into that big W2. Most fly sick and rarely go on vacation. But wow they sure make big money dont they?? Then add in that huge profit sharing check, mine was $23 on $115,000.

Ok so the Jetblue guys that sit on their computers 24 hours a day waiting for their FLICA ALERTs so they can run back to the airport and fill every little whole in their schedule with some more soft time, they make a decent w2. Its all good until they get sick,injured,or need retirement. All their sick and vacation time or PTO is converted into that big W2. Most fly sick and rarely go on vacation. But wow they sure make big money dont they?? Then add in that huge profit sharing check, mine was $23 on $115,000.

Your keeping him honest so Ill do the same for you. Plus a little look at others.

It was $23 above the $5750(5%)($11500 assuming you put in your 5%) they deposited into your 401k.

JetBlue 5% 401k Match/ 5% Guaranteed Profit Share/ Additional anything above 5% profit share.

Delta gets 11%(Currently going up next year to 14% I believe)B fund and 2% 401k and profit sharing. (ALPA)

American Gets 1.25%A Fund/ 11% B Fund (APA)

Alaska 13.5% Direct 401k Contribution (ALPA)

Cont- 12.75% B Fund plus profit sharing (ALPA)

Hawaiian Kicking everyone's ass up to 19.4% 401k Match/ 2.4% A fund. (ALPA)

United 9% B fund/ Profit sharing/ "C Fund"? 7% (ALPA)

Airways 10% B Fund/ Profit Sharing (ALPA negotiated currently USAPA)

Air Tran 1% 401k Match/ 10.5% B Fund (ALPA)

Allegiant 3% 401k Match(Ouch)

Frontier 5% for every 10% pilot contribution/ 0-6% b Fund base on longevity (FAPA negotiated)

Spirit 8% 401k match/ profit sharing (ALPA)

Virgin up to 5% 401k Match

Southwest up to 9.3% 401k match/ profit sharing(averaged 10% over 10 years) (SWAPA)

Your keeping him honest so Ill do the same for you. Plus a little look at others.

It was $23 above the $5750(5%)($11500 assuming you put in your 5%) they deposited into your 401k.

JetBlue 5% 401k Match/ 5% Guaranteed Profit Share/ Additional anything above 5% profit share.

Delta gets 11%(Currently going up next year to 14% I believe)B fund and 2% 401k and profit sharing. (ALPA)

Frontier 5% for every 10% pilot contribution/ 0-6% b Fund base on longevity (FAPA negotiated)

Southwest up to 9.3% 401k match/ profit sharing(averaged 10% over 10 years) (SWAPA)

Nice try, RiddleEagle.

"Riddle" me this Batman:

Why do you insist on combining 401k match and profit sharing?

Maybe because management showed you that neat trick in some BS bluefact website?

You can call it 5% match. and 5% profit sharing.
-or-
You can call it a 10% contribution (with inclusive 5%match).

But YOU CANT CALL IT 10% contribution and profit sharing. It's one or the other. And if you call it a 10% match, then you have to say the company gets a 5% discount on any ACTUAL profit sharing.

FACT: Average retirement plan inputs (A fund/B fund) for major airlines is 13%. That puts Blue 8% points behind w/profit sharing, or 3% behind w/o profit sharing. You pick.

And before you say "Aw, shucks, it's just 3%," Not so fast, cowboy. That 3% is in comparison to 13%, not 100%. So when talking pure dollar percentage, Blue is actually 24% behind the -AVERAGE- contributions. And I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and counting our "guaranteed profit sharing" as part of the retirement plan. Which remember, is actually a 5% discount to JetBlue during the good years. Years that other companies would be paying ACTUAL profit sharing.

Now if you want to talk turkey, we are talking a difference of about $1,000,000.00 at retirement time. YMMV.

JetBlue pilots haven't even been asking for a leading contract. But JetBlue can't even see their way to average.

Sad.

Last edited:

Hey Sport,

Have you heard of the PCRB report? In 2008 a company sponsored document created by the pilots showed the average retirement at 13%. Yours is 10%. That 13% number has only gone higher while bluejet's pilots remain static. Take a look our skyrocketing health care premiums. With a CBA you can mandate what % you the pilot pays as well control yearly increases. You get to wear a blue shirt and a goatee. Woopeeee!

Hey Sport,

Have you heard of the PCRB report? In 2008 a company sponsored document created by the pilots showed the average retirement at 13%. Yours is 10%. That 13% number has only gone higher while bluejet's pilots remain static. Take a look our skyrocketing health care premiums. With a CBA you can mandate what % you the pilot pays as well control yearly increases. You get to wear a blue shirt and a goatee. Woopeeee!

Calm down chief.

Sport really?

Where did I say I wasnt in favor of a CBA? I was just throwing out a comparison for everyone. I hate hearing about the $50 they got in profit sharing though. Its disingenuous, and not the whole truth. Its a bending of truths to fit their agenda.

What I did was give facts about everyones retirement packages. If anything you should have used those to support your case for a union. We are behind on retirement. It would have made you sound reasonable and worth listening to. Instead you attack me because Im new and you sound like the bitter union supporter all the no voters love to point to.

Nice try, RiddleEagle.

"Riddle" me this Batman:

Why do you insist on combining 401k match and profit sharing?

Maybe because management showed you that neat trick in some BS bluefact website?

You can call it 5% match. and 5% profit sharing.
-or-
You can call it a 10% contribution (with inclusive 5%match).

But YOU CANT CALL IT 10% contribution and profit sharing. It's one or the other. And if you call it a 10% match, then you have to say the company gets a 5% discount on any ACTUAL profit sharing.

You are right. I think it was lost in how I typed it.

I didnt call it 10% and profit sharing.

I called it "$23 above the $5750(5%)($11500 assuming you put in your 5%) they deposited into your 401k."

5750 = 5% 401k match
5750(deposited into 401k) +23 = 5773 profit share.

He made it sound as if his entire profit share was $23 when in fact it was $5773.

I broke it down into 3 to show where the $23 came from.

"JetBlue 5% 401k Match/ 5% Guaranteed Profit Share/ Additional anything above 5% profit share.(or as you called it a 5% discount or $23) "

You will notice in my comparison I noted the union carriers.

They all outpace us except for Frontier(near bankruptcy) and Airways(very old bankruptcy contract)/Airtran depending on their companies profit.

Latest resources

Back