• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue PVC/ Atkins and Co. Compensation video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As far as that video, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. They are talking about a PR campaign. They actually were very honest, and open, and exactly what I would expect.

If they had said, "We fooled those pilots do our company can profit on their backs!!!" I may have joined up with y'all. No, they said the keeping the DR makes them more nimble, and better able to move in the market. I believe that is true, and it is a competitive edge JetBlue has. I want this to be my last company. I want them to have the competitive edge. That isn't a bad thing.

You are the first one that I have shown this video to that wasn't appalled. Listen to what the manatee has to say. She's the one wearing glasses and has dark hair.

She says "we enjoy a direct relationship with our crew members and get a huge business benefit, more flexibility." How this doesn't stop and give you pause I don't know? She goes on to say we want to work directly with our crew members and not have a third party get in the way. I bet they do! Yet JetBlue hires a third party to combat labor, wth? Why does the company hire a VP of the Direct Relatinship? Here are the duties of the VP of the DR;

Position Posted On
12/26/2012

Reference Code
NC52755171 - E2

Tasks
Position Summary
The Manager Direct Relationship partners with the Director Values
Relations and the Values Relations team to develop and execute the PDR
Strategy (Preserving the Direct Relationship). The Manager is
responsible for providing labor relations expertise and establishing the
Values Relations team as the labor experts at JetBlue. The Manager
utilizes relationships with company and employee committee leaders based
on mutual respect and trust to deliver results for the PDR Strategy.
The Manager also contributes to the success of the Values Relations
team by providing on-going mentoring and coaching.
Essential Responsibilities
* Work in conjunction with the liaisons from each operational
department to support JetBlue’s everyday PDR efforts.
* Initiate, project manage, and effectuate proactive methods to address
issues that can impact PDR.
* Monitor union organizing websites and blogs on a daily basis to keep
leaders apprised of online noise and to help develop a realistic measure
of organizing activity.
* Author a monthly newsletter updating leaders on organizing activity
within JetBlue, the company’s strategy to contain the organizing
activity, and updates on relevant labor issues occurring within the
industry.
* Coordinate with the Manager of People Communications to support
efforts, such as JetBluefacts.com, that regularly inform Crewmembers of
JetBlue’s commitment to PDR.
* Partner with People Analytics to develop and review data in order to
anticipate and address threats to PDR. The Manager will utilize this
data, in conjunction with other sources of information, to help develop
heat maps for each Operational Department.
* Work in conjunction with the Director to participate in compensation
and benefit reviews.
* Collaborate with company and values committee leaders on documents
that outline the rules of engagement between JetBlue and its Values
Committees, including defining leadership commitment and Values
Committees roles and responsibilities.
* Collaborate with company and values committee leaders on policy
changes/additions

Requirements
Minimum Experience and Qualifications
* 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
* 5 years of experience in a role that fosters positive labor
relations, including performing functions such as interpreting
collective bargaining agreements and interacting with employee
representatives to resolve workplace issues.
* Experience in counseling leaders on the terms of collective
bargaining agreements and/or workplace policies.
* Experience in helping an employer to stay union-free.
* Experience in analyzing employee compensation and benefits to
determine whether an employer’s offerings support its labor strategy.
* Experience in negotiating and/or drafting agreements with employee
representatives.
* Experience in labor arbitrations involving disciplinary matters
and/or contract interpretation.
* Experience Leading a Team of Labor Relations and/or H.R.
Professionals.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
* J.D. and/or Masters in ILR
* Prior employment in the airline industry
* Proven ability to draft workplace policies and/or collective
bargaining agreement language
* Deep understanding of labor laws
* Project Management experience
Working Conditions:
Crewmember Expectations:
* Regular attendance and punctuality
* Potential need to work flexible hours and be available to respond on
short-notice
* Well groomed and able to maintain a professional appearance
* When working or traveling on JetBlue flights, and if time permits,
all capable crewmembers are asked to assist with light cleaning of the
aircraft
Equipment:
* Computer and other office equipment
Work Environment:
Physical Effort:
* Generally not required, or up to 10 pounds occasionally, 0 pounds
frequently. (Sedentary)
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by the crewmember(s) assigned
to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this
position. Position Expectations may be subject to change as the needs of
the organization change.
EOE/M/F/V/D

You are the first one that I have shown this video to that wasn't appalled. Listen to what the manatee has to say. She's the one wearing glasses and has dark hair.

She says "we enjoy a direct relationship with our crew members and get a huge business benefit, more flexibility." How this doesn't stop and give you pause I don't know? She goes on to say we want to work directly with our crew members and not have a third party get in the way. I bet they do! Yet JetBlue hires a third party to combat labor, wth? Why does the company hire a VP of the Direct Relatinship? Here are the duties of the VP of the DR;

I think she is correct that the DR gives the company more flexibility and is a competitive edge. Last time I checked, that's a good thing for the company, and everyone who gets a paycheck from that company.

I think she is correct that the DR gives the company more flexibility and is a competitive edge. Last time I checked, that's a good thing for the company, and everyone who gets a paycheck from that company.

It's a great thing for the company. Raise health insurance costs to the employees, refuse to put many benefit items in the PEA, the ability to start an alter ego airline, fire employees who support unions, disregard the ASAP program, refuse an employee attorney representation at their own termination hearing, and the list goes on. I think you might be management material here at JetBlue.

Thanks. I know I'm new, and I'm not trying to piss anyone off. My tune may change in a year or two.

I'm very interested to see how the company deals with the dissatisfaction with healthcare in particular. If they are serious about keeping the DR, then they had better be proactive. If I get converted to a "yes" vote, that's a serious failure of the mgmt team.

Buddy, one only has to look at history to se how they will address the dissatisfaction. Weather the storm and hope people forget about it

Catch is, rampers, gate agents, etc. don't give a crap, becaus most of them don't have families, wives, kids, etc that get sick. The only time they have health concerns is when they screw some drunken bar trash and pick up the clap.

Therein lies the BIG problem. As long as we aren't unionized, we CAN'T fix it, because anything they offer us (the pilots) they have to offer to everyone, and then it gets too expensive. So, us family men (most pilots) are stuck eating a crap sandwich because we are viewed on the same level as a ramper! And that is not the company's fault, that is federal law!

The only legal solution to that problem is unionization. Hence everything on here.

Thanks. I know I'm new, and I'm not trying to piss anyone off. My tune may change in a year or two.

I'm very interested to see how the company deals with the dissatisfaction with healthcare in particular. If they are serious about keeping the DR, then they had better be proactive. If I get converted to a "yes" vote, that's a serious failure of the mgmt team.
They will deal with it by collecting your input and then forwarding it to MWW so that they can form a PR program to convince you your concern is misplaced.

Remember Jetblue told you every airline is doing the same thing as Jetblue.

Is that true? No it isn't. Only Jetblue has replaced all low deductible medical plans with account based plans. No other airline in our peer group has ONLY a ABP. Yet that has not stopped Jetblue for trying to convince employees that is in fact what jetblue has done. Nothing different than other airlines.

Some new guy will buy off on it too.

How many times can you tell your kids... We're going to Disney this weekend and not take them? Instead you come up with a "legitimate" reason that the Disney trip is unsustainable and you put on the Disney channel instead. Maybe next weekend you give them a Disney DVD, but still no trip... How many times can you do this before your kid knows that there is no trip to Disney coming and your full of doody?

Yep... that's right, Doody.

How many times will JB tell you they get it, and they're gonna fix it right before you find out?

For the record, I don't hate my job, the company or anything about my life. In fact, I'd like jb to remain a stand alone "organic growth" company for about 31 more years.

But when jb managment speaks... it's doody.

ASA you have a lot to learn and a lot of maturity to obtain.. It's not an insult just the truth..

I was in your shoes totally anti union and shared many of your same views. Then i sat back for almost a decade and closely watched the transformation here at jb and it is more than an eye opener

ASA you have a lot to learn and a lot of maturity to obtain.. It's not an insult just the truth..

I was in your shoes totally anti union and shared many of your same views. Then i sat back for almost a decade and closely watched the transformation here at jb and it is more than an eye opener

Have to agree.

They will deal with it by collecting your input and then forwarding it to MWW so that they can form a PR program to convince you your concern is misplaced.

Remember Jetblue told you every airline is doing the same thing as Jetblue.

Is that true? No it isn't. Only Jetblue has replaced all low deductible medical plans with account based plans. No other airline in our peer group has ONLY a ABP. Yet that has not stopped Jetblue for trying to convince employees that is in fact what jetblue has done. Nothing different than other airlines.

Some new guy will buy off on it too.

This is exactly how the process works. Spot on!

ASA, no offense, but the company relies on new pilots like yourself to sustain the DR. I think most of us who came to B6 many moons ago did not feel the need for a union. But as time passed, and the company gradually took away work rules, pay, and benefits, while at the same time telling us that they will find "workarounds", most of us realized that a union is the only way we can protect our careers. We also know that a union cannot solve every problem, but without a union, hell will freeze over before we can even attempt to recoup our losses and prevent the company from taking away more.

I came here 8+ years ago. This is a completely different airline now. I have seen fellow pilots left to fend for themselves when it comes to dealing with medical issues, as well as legal issues with the FAA. Some of these pilots were adamantly against bringing a union on the property UNTIL they themselves were left out in the cold compliments of the DR. I will give you one brief example.......

A Captain and First Officer were being investigated for an alleged bird strike. Said crew were given an attorney by the company. The attorney was convinced the crew did nothing wrong and wanted to make sure they were completely absolved. The FAA decided to place letters of warning in their files. The crew's attorney was quite confident it was an open and shut case and the crew would come out of this unscathed. However, the company sided with the FAA and then informed the crew that they would no longer be provided with an attorney. The crew could not afford to pay the attorney (who strongly advocated fighting this case) and as a result now have letters of warning in their files explaining how they were wreckless and endangered the lives of everyone onboard. Can you see the conflict of interest here? This same scenario happened to at least two crews of which I am aware.

This is just one of many examples as to why we need representation. In the end, WE are all on our own. And chances are that one day over the course of our careers, each one of us will have to deal with a medical issue and/or legal issue. So why not have someone in our corner with the skills and knowledge to protect us? A union is merely career insurance. It may not be perfect, but when you need it (and at some point you will need it), I hope it's there for you, your career, and your family. So instead of waiting for the company to be proactive (history has proven otherwise), maybe we as pilots need to be proactive.

Latest resources

Back