• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue Pilot Strength and Unionizing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JB pilots have no say in whatever Needleman want to pay. There will be some grumbling in private, but I don't think any are so foolish as to be overt about it when being an at-will employee. Needleman may do some soothing BS talk, but essentially nothing will change. With the rest of the industry being in the toilet bowl and JB being one of the only growing companies, the existing JB pilots are going to do the same thing senior legacy pilots do . . . . . "get theirs" and the heck with everybody else.

I think it was Abraham Maslow that said if the only tool you have is a hammer, then all your problems look like nails.

Let's hope for a full tool box, and a thoughtful craftsman.

Oh, and BTW Ms. Skirt -- you got an ALPA t-shirt? Dang! In ten years all I got was some stickers . . .

Last edited:
It's not about ALPA... or APA... or Teamsters... or SWAPA...

It's about Collective Bargaining. It's about having a voice, a part of the process, a vote.

I wouldn't count on the current JetBlue pilots to be THE EXPERTS on unions. Considering their backgrounds - - disaffected, disgruntled, anti-union former union members, I wouldn't expect to see an objective picture painted by their hands through their eyes. For those of you who are former military, and have never been a part of a union - - it's worth your time to get educated. I know MY eyes were opened.

Collective bargaining. You should study it.

Skygod said:
I think it was Abraham Maslow that said if the only tool you have is a hammer, then all your problems look like nails.

Let's hope for a full tool box, and a thoughtful craftsman.

Oh, and BTW Ms. Skirt -- you got an ALPA t-shirt? Dang! In ten years all I got was some stickers . . .
So how do these words of wisom translate into a solution for your current situation?

datafox said:
You are absolutely right. Both SWA and AirTran are profitable LCCs and both have their own in house union...and both have better payscales than JetBlue (AAI B717 vs. JBLU EMB190).
Airtran pilots have a no strike clause in thier "agreement." Thier in house union leadership just went through a foundation shaking mix up due to usage of union funds. Any Airtran types want to clarify or add?

TonyC said:
It's not about ALPA... or APA... or Teamsters... or SWAPA...

It's about Collective Bargaining. It's about having a voice, a part of the process, a vote.

I wouldn't count on the current JetBlue pilots to be THE EXPERTS on unions. Considering their backgrounds - - disaffected, disgruntled, anti-union former union members, I wouldn't expect to see an objective picture painted by their hands through their eyes. For those of you who are former military, and have never been a part of a union - - it's worth your time to get educated. I know MY eyes were opened.

Collective bargaining. You should study it.
Education Tony? Are you kidding me? The biggest sport bitchers on this board who throw ALPA and unions under the bus wouldn't know democracy (unions) if it sucked them into it's turbofan.....

You got FX ALPA holding an LEC meeting in the AOC in Memphis and next door in the lounge pilots are watching TV and using thier laptops.

I got guys that call me up bitchin' and it takes me 30 **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** minutes to tear down thier misinformation and another 30 minutes to educate them on the issue. All of a sudden their issue isn't so black and white and thier speechless.

The only time you can get a pilot to a union meeting is when thier wallet starts getting flat. Then you got standing room only of uneducated bad ass pilots. At the end of the meeting they walk out looking like they just had thier first epiphany. Blank stares and more humility than a monestary full of monks. The only time I see pilots looking like that is in training when the simililator kicks thier as$.

Education.

Know your contract. CBA
Know the Railway Labor Act. RLA
Know politics and the PACs.
Know your Union.

Or don't and belittle your own ignorance......

(I feel better. Rant over):) :rolleyes:

It's interesting. For several months now, folks at JetBlue on this board have been saying that the EMB-190 is not a regional jet. It looks like the JetBlue management sure thinks it is. One can't compare Airtran 717's to JetBlue EMB-190's in terms of pay. That is like comparing a Delta 737-200 pilot's pay to ASA's CRJ pay.

JetBlue's pilot pay scale is much higher than AirTran's (A-320 vs 717 or 737)

Just my opinion

The JB guys are right about one thing. Those Mid Atlantic rates didn't help anyone!!! Why have we not commented on them?

Just Curious,

AA

Sorry Jetblue pilots...when the chip crumbs are stale, and all thats left of the "Blue-aid" is backwash, what you'll have is the empty remnants of what used to be a GREAT career--that of the airline pilot. Not only are the payrates shockingly low, but the Captain rates barely keep up with a 2.5% annual inflation rate--JB Captains will be lucky if they can maintain just the SAME purchasing power year after year...Once the glow of the quick upgrade wears off, then what?...nice way to thank "crewmembers"?

AAflyer said:
The JB guys are right about one thing. Those Mid Atlantic rates didn't help anyone!!! Why have we not commented on them?

Just Curious,

AA
They have but over on the regional board (Mid Atlantic is flying the 170 - 70 seat version).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back