JetBlue or Continental?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluetoo

Looks like I might have a choice between JetBlue and Continental. I have less than 10 years to age 60. Can anyone offer insight into pros/cons between the two?

no int'l possibilities with JetBlue...unless you've been there/done that

both have fairly quick upgrades

i'll leave the rest to those who actually work there

If you only have 10 years.....Easy. Jetblue. By year 3 you should be an A320 Captain making a good amount of bank. Upgrade at CAL will take closer to 5-6 years. Of course if you have no intention of upgrading and just want good QOL maybe the odds are about even. Both are great companies, if you have a choice I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Upgrade at CAL could be 4 years, based on todays numbers with retirements. Approx. 50% retires in the next 6-8 years. Go where you would be most happy.

Continental was supposed to merge with NWA about 6 years ago, then Delta... Jetblue could be bought by United. Speculation...can have you miss some great opportunities in life. Go where you would have the most fun.

Thanks for the inputs. Any more thoughts from other folks currently working at CAL or JetBlue (or someone who has looked hard at both) would be appreciated.

I also doubt that JetBlue will be bought by another carrier anytime soon.

Mr Hat said:
If you only have 10 years.....Easy. Jetblue. By year 3 you should be an A320 Captain making a good amount of bank. Upgrade at CAL will take closer to 5-6 years. Of course if you have no intention of upgrading and just want good QOL maybe the odds are about even. Both are great companies, if you have a choice I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I don't think a new hire today will upgrade on the bus in 3 years. With over 1300 total pilots on board already it'll take 4 plus years minimum. Pilots hired around fall of 2004 with seniority number between the high 800s to low 900s are looking at another 18-20 months until upgrade on the bus; that would make it around 3 years for them. You'll be in the high 1300s, low 1400 if you got on today. Best case scenario with 7.3 crew per plane if you're number 1300 you'll need about 178 total buses to hold captain. There are about 90 buses on the property so do the math. About 1 new bus arrives every 3 weeks, that's about 18 new busses per year.

The 140 or so bus f/os who are upgrading on the 190 will eventually transition back to the bus once their 2 year lock is up.

Latest resources

Back