• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue or Continental?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
another thing to consider is attrition. CAL definitely has the edge there with a large number of pilots retiring in the next 10 years. i forget the numbers exactly, but they are posted fairly often on here.

i don't believe JetBlue has near the amount of retirees as CAL does.

either way, it's a nice dilemna to have.

Palomino said:
no int'l possibilities with JetBlue...unless you've been there/done that

I'm sorry, but is international flying a criteria to accept a job?

What is the big deal with flying international? Long flights, can't understand ATC, strange food, jet lag, gone all the time...what's so great?

There's lots of appeal to flying overseas. Generally, you do one leg and you're off to the layover as opposed to doing five or six legs a day. Longer legs equals more efficient use of your time money-wise. It also times you out faster so you can get a decent amount of days off. The layovers can be a lot of fun too. For instance, a Rome layover sure beats the heck out of Buffalo, unless that's your thing. It's sure the heck a lot more interesting flying than domestic.
International isn't for everyone, but if you're into it at a decent company, it's a good deal. Tax time is coming up too, so you can get some good tax credits for overseas time.
I loved doing overseas flying. Sure, long deadheads are brutal, but I generally didn't bid trips with them. Now I'm back doing domestic and it seems like work.

Oh yeah, to answer your question, I had an opportunity to interview at JB right around the time of my CAL interview. Both companies are very appealing to me, so it was a tough decision, but I chose CAL because I wanted to have a choice to do long-haul if I wanted, the B-fund pension, (which goes to an account in my name from day one), and most importantly, because EWR is a 37 mile drive while JFK is 62 miles with a huge toll.
I believe that you'll do well no matter who you choose. Good luck!

What is the big deal with flying international? Long flights, can't understand ATC, strange food, jet lag, gone all the time...what's so great?

International flying isn't for everyone but I think you are trying to compare Polar or Atlas to CAL and that's not the case. Unless JetBlue has turns and you are home every night I think it's safe to say you are home more with CAL international flying. Line holders average between 16-19 days off a month.

Why are 'home every night' and 'airline pilot' being used in the same sentence?? That's not in the job description. Go work at a bank.

This career is supposed to be about seeing the world, having someone else make the travel and lodging arrangements, and getting paid to do it.

Unfortunately, my last point runs into some trouble at CAL. The international route stucture and layovers are awesome, but they pay definately needs some work. Of course, when you look at JetBlue's EMB rates...

There really is no easy choice here. Be thankful you are fortunate to have the choice in the 1st place. Make a decison. Live with it, stop reading this forum, and do not look back. Ever.

Last edited:
The chance to fly long-haul international is a plus, but what are my odds of doing so in the first few years? How many guys get the 757/767 as an initial assignment? Does the aircraft assignment come at the same time as the job offer?

Latest resources

Back