• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue or Continental?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sounds like you'd have no trouble being assigned the 757 as a newhire if that's what you wanted. i believe you place your bid during ground school and get your assignment in the first week or so

Bluetoo said:
The chance to fly long-haul international is a plus, but what are my odds of doing so in the first few years? How many guys get the 757/767 as an initial assignment? Does the aircraft assignment come at the same time as the job offer?

The 75/76 have been a junior bid so far. They will continue to hire into it through the year. The reason it's junior is because of the deadheading. As part of the givebacks, the 757 deadheading has been reduced to coach.

Bluetoo said:
The chance to fly long-haul international is a plus, but what are my odds of doing so in the first few years? How many guys get the 757/767 as an initial assignment? Does the aircraft assignment come at the same time as the job offer?

I know several recent hires who have gone straight into the international 757/767 at EWR. They operate as IROs on some of the return flights but they do get to see a lot of Europe. So, it is quite possible.

Uppercrust said:
If you want to go to a Major, go to Continental.
If you want to go to a National, go to Jetblue.

And if you want to fly with Uppercrud, do some C152 instruction on the side. He'll be the pimply-faced kid that hasn't discovered girls yet . . . .

ACWild said:
The reason it's junior is because of the deadheading. As part of the givebacks, the 757 deadheading has been reduced to coach.

Not exactly true. Yes, DH is a big part of it. DH is now paid at 50%, will be 75% this July and 100% July of 07. Even under the pre concessionary contract (contract 97) IRO's who dead headed over to Europe (on all flights scheduled less than 8 hours) got positive space coach and standby for F/C. The same holds true today, however since we don't upgrade everyone under the sun on international flights as opposed to domestic flights (for international must pay for it or give up miles) most of the time those who DH over do end up upgrading to F/C while DH over.

The DH pay issue along with the crew rest seat is a huge bone of contention. Prior to the contract when the flight required an IRO (most westbound flights) the crew got a business first seat for crew rest. Now they get a row of three coach seats and standby for the B/F seat. However there has been numerous problems with European station agents upgrading Non Revs to B/F and continuing to give the crew a row in coach or worse only a single seat in coach.

As an aside note widebody FO's use to have a good deal going. It was not uncommon for senior wide body FO's to make 180K and up. They were making more than a reserve 737 CA. Now that our POS contract has domesticated our international flying those perks have gone by the waist side. Also this crew rest stuff is only on the 756. The 777 has two crew bunks and IRO's on the B737 (do some long Central America and Caribbean turns) still get a F/C seat.

Last edited:
Bluetoo said:

Your odds of flying the B757/B767 flown as a single base called 756 are about 100% in the first few years. If you don't get it right out of the box (see other response as to why so junior) you can immediately bid the B756 and be released from your B737 freeze. Same goes true with going to the B777. It goes junior on the bottom. We have a two year equipment freeze however you can get out of it by upgrading to captain or going up to a larger aircraft as an FO or CA. We have at least two system bids a year no more than ten months apart. With all the retirements and international expansion you should be able to fly the 756 within six to twelve months after DOH if you get the 737.

CAL EWR B737 said:
IRO's on the B737 (do some long Central America and Caribbean turns) still get a F/C seat.

Is that for the crew rest segment on which an IRO is required, or is that for the DH on the non-IRO leg?

And on the IRO-required segment, does the IRO sit in the designated rest seats during takeoff and landing, or in the jumpseat?

ATRedneck said:
Is that for the crew rest segment on which an IRO is required, or is that for the DH on the non-IRO leg?

And on the IRO-required segment, does the IRO sit in the designated rest seats during takeoff and landing, or in the jumpseat?

All the DH stuff is on the B756 and a small amount on the B777 in IAH. The only reason the IRO's DH to Europe on the B756 used to be (pre concessionary contract) to avoid having to block a B/F seat for crew rest. Since the IRO wasn't required for the East bound flight (under 8 hours) they increased the revenue potential for the flight by being able to sell an extra B/F seat. The IRO who was DH was PS0 so he/she would be first for an upgrade if the seat was available. Interesting note is this really isn't safe. Most east bound flights are all night and most of our pilots commute to EWR. So some of these guys/gals commuted in from the West coast. They really should use the IRO both ways. So the IRO used to get the same pay on the DH and IRO segments.

Post concessionary contract the company saves on the pay for DH. Since the IRO's DH over (east bound) it is at 50% pay and 100% pay when the fly IRO on the West bound leg. The bonus is they don't have to block a B/F seat from a full fare revenue pax on the West bound leg.

If you fly IRO on the B737 there is no DH. You fly IRO both ways. IRO's on all aircraft are required to sit in the cockpit from block out until top of climb and from top of descent to block in. It's my experience that since we don't use IRO's often on the B737 it's rare that the CA or FO ever use the IRO. So the IRO is in the cockpit for T/O and Landing and then is a food and movie critic most of the way. We have 10 and 11 hour turns out of EWR on the 737. About five years ago 737 IRO's were CA before they typed all the FO's needless to say it went very senior. Hope these past posts have cleared up the misunderstandings with DH and IRO's.

Last edited:
CAL EWR B737 said:
It's my experience that since we don't use IRO's often on the B737 it's rare that the CA or FO ever use the IRO. So the IRO is in the cockpit for T/O and Landing and then is a food and movie critic most of the way.

I've heard other guys say pretty much the same thing for their IRO trips. (Quito turns mostly) On the 10 hour turns, is it actually legal then for the IRO to not actually fly, and the cockpit crew to not actually rest? (though I'd wager there's a cat-nap or two!) Or is the only black-and-white legality that an IRO actually be on board, and not necessarily used?

How do you log IRO time, only the time you're actually in one seat or the other, or what?

Oh, and do the 1st class seats on our 737's have power ports for laptops?

Sorry for all the gazillion questions. I'm sure they'll cover a lot of this stuff in indoc, but frankly I don't think I can wait till next week!

ATRedneck said:
I've heard other guys say pretty much the same thing for their IRO trips. (Quito turns mostly) On the 10 hour turns, is it actually legal then for the IRO to not actually fly, and the cockpit crew to not actually rest? (though I'd wager there's a cat-nap or two!) Or is the only black-and-white legality that an IRO actually be on board, and not necessarily used?

How do you log IRO time, only the time you're actually in one seat or the other, or what?

Oh, and do the 1st class seats on our 737's have power ports for laptops?

Sorry for all the gazillion questions. I'm sure they'll cover a lot of this stuff in indoc, but frankly I don't think I can wait till next week!

It's the captain's discretion on how to use the IRO the FAR's only dictate they be available and ready to relieve the crew.

As far as logging time as IRO (I haven't filled out my log book since 1991 and I was an A300 FO back then) my guess would be you could log it as second in command time when in one of the two pilot seats. There can be only one PIC and even though he/she is on break the captain is still responsible for the flight.

737's don't have power ports as of yet.

Latest resources

Back