• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jetblue or continental ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well...I am a regional guy...and was taught early on...go to the first one that hires you. This airline thing is a toss up...go with today's facts and hope you made the right choice. I applied to both, love to work for both, and sitting patiently hoping one of these two, (as well as three others, SWA, FEDEX, and UPS) calls. Every single carrier has pros and cons...but they way I see it, they are much better than what I have now. Seniority is everything...first one to hire me wins.

Hey whyme, I don't think all of us are kool aid drinkers, but so far, things have worked out pretty well for me. But, like the USA, we have our fair share of problems, but you wouldn't want to live, or here at JB, work anywhere else. It still amazes me though, how many experts on JB frequent these boards and offer their astute comments and opinions based on disinformation, rumor, and inuendo. I would suggest that you or anybody else that has a specific question PM any JB member with your question. I think you'd be supprised at the candor you'll get for an answer. I'll defend anybody's right of free speech here, but the spewing of gross inaccuracies and personal attacks is well below the dignity of the group of professional that we all claim to be.

flyhigh2610 said:
Well...I am a regional guy...and was taught early on...go to the first one that hires you.

Careful with that one. That's like marrying the first girl that says yes.

I was taught the same thing and unfortunately I didn't learn my lesson until I actually made the move. I'd recommend you don't use that criteria as your sole means for picking an employer.

I recently met a pilot that was furloughed from Continental in 2001 and was lucky enough to get hired by jetBlue. He spent close to two years at JB but came back to CAL when recalled. I asked him what he thought of JB and his response was, "they have issues and I'm glad to be back at Continental." I really don't know what he meant by that and I didn't ask details, FWIW.

I'm sure you will enjoy either airline. I previously flew for a large PAX regional and major cargo company. Of all three, I enjoy flying for Continental the best.

English said:
Careful with that one. That's like marrying the first girl that says yes.

I was taught the same thing and unfortunately I didn't learn my lesson until I actually made the move. I'd recommend you don't use that criteria as your sole means for picking an employer.

I agree 100%.

Go out on the town, and get really, really, really sheeeeeeeeeetfaced. Close your eyes, and throw a dart. You can do all the homework you want in choosing an airline, but you have to be a little lucky too. This industry is in shambles, and no one person has the answer to how this will shakeout. B6 could be gone in a year or two, and/or Continental could share the same fate. If it were me, I'd hop on a plane and go visit both carriers hubs, and get a genuine feel for what its like to be a pilot for each carrier. Talk to each carriers pilots. Research the repective earnings reports on the internet. Then, once you are pretty sure you have it all figured out, refer to the first line of my reply. In any event, The very best of luck to you in your endeavors. May you retire at the carrier you choose. Dont bet on it, but theres always hope.

I would go with the first one to send you an acceptance letter. Once there you can decide weather you want to pursue other options. I had many friends who left TWA and Eastern back in the late 80's, they are now Captains while some of my unfortunate friends are on the streets.

But in reality there is no looking back well, atleast untill you hit retirement age (what ever that may be a few years from now) It reality it's a crap shoot...choose wisely.

I may be way off base here maybe, but when you think of a job for the rest of your working life (60 I hope) what do you base your decision on? You memtioned JB and CAL. And left out a lot of airlines.
I got hired at FedEx in 95 not because I thought it was the place I wanted to be, but that is where I got a job. All the other airlines (except United) had guys on the street. To back that up when I started at a commuter in 91 all the airlines had folks on the street then too. It seems to me even in the best of times the "Airlines" all of them hit the skids every 5 to 8 years. I'm a little too young to comment on the 80's but there were some very bad times for the airlines. Now I look back and can't believe my dumb luck. SWA and FedEx, and probably UPS have never had a bad year that I know of. A bad year at FedEx is 10% growth and that's the way it's been since 1972. We hired through all the 911 stuff and our growth in Asia is explosive. Our pensions are intact and our pay rates are among the best now. I'm in year 10 and make about 20bucks an hour more than the highest paid guy at CAL. I guess I just don't understand what motivates folks. If we were back in the 60s or 70s well hell yea go for an airline, big money, young single shapely girls, wild wild wild times. Now, from what I hear that ain't the case.
Flying boxes all over the world in great equipment with long layovers in places you can enjoy yourself isn't a bad way to make a living.
I hope it all works out for everyone, but keep your options open and look at all the airlines and what they have to offer. I personally think once everyone gives up pay and quality of life it will be decades before they get them back if ever.

You know, TonyC, I really thought you were better than that. Oh well, colour me surprised!

Last edited:
Dizel8 said:
You know, TonyC, I really thought you were better than that. Oh well, colour me surprised!
For pokin' fun about the gloves or for wastin' time with IB6 UB9? :)

Latest resources

Back