• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jetblue or continental ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We all make fun of the "poor" business model of the hub and spoke. But for an international route network, it is the way to go. International revenue is superior to domestic and barriers to entry seem to be higher. The seeming implosion of DAL, NWA and UAL is partly about cutting domestic and expanding international flying. The hub and spoke model just needs tweeking. Alaska seems to get a great benefit out of their regional.

Is the tweeking done at CAL and AA? If not, what remains to happen to wages and the number of pilots employeed?

For domestic flying, what will carriers other than JetBlue getting 100 seaters do to the LCC growth story??

So there you have it--If you trust in the JetBlue growth story, go there.

If you think international flying is safe from LCCs and continued restructuring won't cause new furloughs, go to Continental.

Northwest, Delta Eye Overseas for Profits
Friday October 7, 6:28 pm ET
By Joshua Freed, AP Business Writer
Northwest and Delta Look to International Flying for Profits During Bankruptcy Makeovers
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Northwest Airlines' daily Amsterdam-to-Bombay run fetches $1,400 a ticket, the airplane flies nearly full, and JetBlue doesn't go there. Which is why international flying is a moneymaker for most U.S. carriers -- and why Northwest and Delta Air Lines Inc. are both making international flying a big part of their bankruptcy makeovers.
Delta says it will increase international flying by 25 percent while cutting domestic flying as much as 20 percent, and this week it announced new nonstop service from Atlanta to Tel Aviv beginning in March. Northwest increased international capacity 5.1 percent last month while domestic capacity stayed flat, and it says it will cut domestic capacity at least 10 percent. It's adding nonstop service from Amsterdam to Bangalore, India.
In Northwest Airlines Corp.'s bankruptcy filing, Chief Financial Officer Neal Cohen went so far as to call the carrier's Pacific routes one of its "most valuable assets," adding, "I believe that (Northwest's) viability as a going concern is dependent upon the maintenance of these foreign operations."
Northwest and Delta are following the lead of UAL Corp.'s United Airlines. Before bankruptcy, United got a third of its passenger revenue from overseas flying. Now it's half.
Overseas routes "are the brightest spot for the U.S. airlines at the moment," said Morgan Stanley airline analyst Douglas Runte. "International has been the place for (legacy) U.S. carriers to hide from low-cost competition."
Adding flights to Europe, where Delta has a strong presence, is easiest because of relatively relaxed rules about who can fly there. Not so in much of Asia.
Agreements between the U.S. and China limit the number of flights there. Northwest and United are the only American carriers with the right to pick up passengers in Japan for flights further into Asia, a huge advantage over other U.S. carriers trying to do business in that booming region. The now-defunct Pan Am and Northwest -- which used to call itself Northwest Orient -- won that valuable privilege in a 1952 aviation treaty between the U.S. and Japan, and United bought Pan Am's rights under the treaty in 1985. Northwest is now the largest carrier between the U.S. and Japan.
"Low-cost carriers are reluctant to jump into the international arena. It requires long planning horizons, sometimes years of diplomacy," said Joseph Schwieterman, a transportation expert and economics professor at DePaul University in Chicago.
He also said the international routes require larger planes than most discounters fly.
Relatively small 737s are "a dime a dozen, long-range 767s are not," Schwieterman said. "The barriers to entry can be enormous, ranging from gate space at key airports, to landing rights in certain countries."
Carriers will soon have more opportunity to fly to China. An aviation agreement with the U.S. signed in July 2004 will increase weekly flights between those two countries from 54 to 249 over six years. Under the agreement, AMR Corp.'s American Airlines won permission to fly from Chicago to Shanghai beginning April 3, 2006. It's also adding a nonstop Chicago-to-New Delhi flight Nov. 15.
American, which has historically had a large Latin American network, has increased its international capacity 9.5 percent this year, including a 29 percent jump in flying across the Pacific. Domestic capacity is down 1.8 percent.
Rising fuel prices play havoc with the profitability of those routes, though. Even as Northwest adds its new flight to Bangalore, it recently cut its New York-Tokyo nonstop, blaming fuel prices. American is dropping its flight between Chicago and Nagoya, Japan for the same reason, spokesman Tim Wagner said.
Airlines are studying the profitability of their routes like never before, said Stuart Klaskin, a partner at KKC Aviation Consulting in Miami.
Airlines are saying, "'If it turns out we can't make money from London to Minneapolis, or Tokyo to New York, we're out of there,'" Klaskin said.
Eagan-based Northwest and Atlanta-based Delta face overseas competition from Continental Airlines Inc., which claims to fly to more international destinations than any other U.S. carrier.
"Quietly, Continental has become this incredibly organized, well-run globe-spanning carrier that's got a real brand," Klaskin said.
And by keeping amenities like hot meals for domestic coach passengers, Continental has retained a reputation for service that has suffered at other airlines.
Klaskin said that appeals "to the guy who's sitting back in 64F who used to be able to go nonstop from Minny to London and now is on his way to Amsterdam for his connection, who got cold cuts and a flat Coke for dinner."
And just because discount carriers aren't flying from the U.S. to India yet, they might someday. The Caribbean and Mexico are seen as likely destinations for discounters in coming years. Jetblue Airways is already flying to Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic from New York.
Low-cost carriers already exist in Asia and Europe. EasyJet, a British airline, and RyanAir, an Irish budget carrier, have expanded throughout Europe and are drawing competition, and budget airlines such as Malaysia's AirAsia are growing fast in the Pacific Rim.
They're not crossing oceans yet, said Doug Abbey, a partner at the Washington-based aviation consulting firm The Velocity Group. But you can bet there's a demand for them, he said: "Somebody will try to fill that vacuum."

what are thoughts on jetblue eventually going international too ? possible/probable ? has company ever hinted at it or is it def not in their sights.

Is it just me or do all the B6 guys seem to be massive kool-aid drinkers? The guy just gave his opinion and he gets flamed by all the B6 drivers. I must say, just about anyone who flys for their own airline is going to pitch their carrier since we all like to rationalize out own thought processes in public. So I would expect a B6 driver to be positive about their carrier just as I would expect a CAL pilot to believe in their own career choices. But is it fair to believe that any company is the be all and end all in aviation? Perhaps I'm off base here, but this is the feeling I get from all the B6 drivers out there. Like it's some kind of cult over there or something.

JB is growing so the opportunities are just about endless right now. But their business model isn't as bullet-proof as the SWA model (SWA hedged more than any other carrier, that's why they pull in so much coin). Just how much LCC capacity is there in the U.S? Of course, SW is unionized, JB isn't. In time this will haunt SW when B6 builds even more critical mass.

Don't get me wrong here, I see JB succeeding because of a completely different approach to doing business, one that works. But to say that they are the holy grail of the future aviation market is ignorant. They have to pay for fuel like every other carrier out there. We're all subject to the same pitfalls of rising energy costs. Whether hedged or not, eventually the fuel costs catch up with everyone. Read the Boyd Reports.

This is one Jetblue pilot that would take Continental if I was on the street today. Particularly at this point in Jetblue's growth cycle.
The free-for-all is over.
My quick and dirty:
In terms of survivability and job security - it's a toss up.
In terms of lifetime earnings - it's Continental without a doubt.
Quality of life - it's a personal choice in terms of basing, but when it comes to overall scheduling and work rules (reserves/bidding/time off/etc), Jetblue has gone backwards across the board.
My compadres will give a point for passion and joy - so I'll throw one in.
All factors being weighted equally:
It's Continental by one run.

Not an opinion

Whymeworry, the reason Pedro was jumped on is because he stated total falsehoods as facts.

Rumor: Jetblue doesn't pay for it's planes
Fact: we have paid for each and every plane since day one

Rumor: we have a five year contract that somehow makes us unemployed at five years.
Fact: we have an automatically renewing 'forever contract' that has an arbitrary five year renewal time span.

But the rest of your post is very accurate, we all rationalize that wherre we are is better, growing faster, more productive, lucrative etc. Just human nature.

Last edited:
If you're thinking short-term, remember: $27,000 your first year and no health insurance for 6 months.

Thank you B6Guy....

We jumped on him for falsehoods.... only defending the truth. Many people like to state falsehoods regarding B6 and then they are miffed when we call their bluff. Like I said in my post... both companies are good companies but there are ups/downs for each choice. If you are going to spout drivel regarding the facts dont get your panties in a wad when you get pounced on....

There are enough posts on this board pointing out the falsehoods of B6 and telling how it really is... it's not my fault when someone doesn't spend the extra minute to research their BS post.

Get it right next time.....

MINIME said:
I'm no expert cause I'm still a Regional guy HOPING to make that next move. However, judging from the events taking place in our industry as of late, it is my opinion that one would be better off at the LCCs. I don't care what Legacy you chose, it's only a matter of time before their compensation is at or below that of most low cost carriers. Even now, SWA argueably has the highest paid pilot group in the industry. I believe the other low cost carriers will be working towards getting to that level while the Legacies will be doing just the opposite. Sad.... but I believe almost unavoidable at this point.

I'm curious to see where you think SWA pay will be in three years with little or no hedging. I think you will be able to take a snapshot of this scenario with JBLU with their 3rd qtr earnings report. I believe the consensus is for a loss. I am basing this on the fact that JBLU is having the same problems in the current fuel environment as all airlines are and as well as the elimination of all fuel hedges for JBLU after 12/31/05.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back