jetBlue May 16, 17 Interveiw Session

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hal, please just say no!!

My class, two months ago, had a couple of guys like you. Lots of hours, heavy time, been stomped on by the industry, etc. To a man, they were not happy once there was any indication that the growth was slowing at all. As has already been said, if you're gonna come to JetBlue you gotta do it with both feet. It really is a different kind of place, but if you don't 'believe' you'll just be bitter.

So unless you really want to go to JetBlue, come what may, then just say NO!

Kayman said:
Pilotodd2

All may be correct except for the part about 50 March Interviews in the pool.

To this date, a majority of the March interviewees have still not heard results of phase 2 & 3 and therefore not in a pool.

Verna said that there would be about 55 guys in the pool from the March intervew that would be ahead of the May interviewees. They may not have received a call yet, but she said there would be 55 in the pool from the March interviews.

Did anyone get a chance to ask the following questions in the "Safe Room"?

- MCO base...When? Will it be EMB or A320 base? Or both?

- 5-year contract. What does the company guarantee? What is required of the employee?

- What is 1st year FO pay on A320/EMB?
- 2nd year CA pay on EMB?
- 4th year CA pay on A320? 12 year CA pay on A320?

For Dogwood and Indy

Hey why you coming down so hard on hal. He has some very legitimate questions and concerns. I thought his post was well written and thought out. He is looking reality in the eyes.......

54fighting said:
Hey why you coming down so hard on hal. He has some very legitimate questions and concerns. I thought his post was well written and thought out. He is looking reality in the eyes.......

I didn't mean to come down on him, just give some 'reality'. I was in class when the return to profitability and Q1 result were announced. There were the guys who were just happy to be there. Mostly regional guys and some military. Then there were the guys who were immediately 'popping smoke'!!! They for the most part were the furloughed guys, or guy who left places like ATA.

I just don't want to see him come to JB, and half way through training get the feeling he made a big mistake. It's not good for him or JB.

Couldn't agree with you more about being halfway through and realizing you made a big mistake. Not good for either side. I had an interview scheduled recently and after some "soul searching" realized it just wasn't the right time to make the jump. I cancelled in hopes that someone else could take my slot and make the most of it.

Last edited:
Pilottodd2 said:
Did anyone get a chance to ask the following questions in the "Safe Room"?

- MCO base...When? Will it be EMB or A320 base? Or both?

- 5-year contract. What does the company guarantee? What is required of the employee?

- What is 1st year FO pay on A320/EMB?
- 2nd year CA pay on EMB?
- 4th year CA pay on A320? 12 year CA pay on A320?

The contract is relatively insignificant. It is very much constructed like any union contract you've seen. Compensation, per-diem rates, scheduling practices, reasons for discharge, PTO policy, 401k, insurance etc. The significant parts are the non-compete and the five years. They won't fire/furlough you for the duration of the 5 years. For your part, you promise not to return to your most recent part 121 carrier for 2 years.

Pay rates are available on www.airlinepilotcentral.com, but here's the ones you ask for.

1yr FO 50.96 37.10
2yr EMB CA 72.32
4 yr CA A320 118.07
12 yr CA 138.62

Those are the base rates. Remember anything over 70 is paid at 1.5 times, including 5 hours of the 75 hours RSV guarantee.

54fighting said:
Couldn't agree with you more about being halfway through and realizing you made a big mistake. Not good for either side. I had an interview scheduled recently and after some "soul searching" realized it just wasn't the right time to make the jump. I cancelled in hopes that someone else could take my slot and make the most of it.

I think we are on the same page now. It was really disappointing to see guys in training at JB that didn't want to be there. Meanwhile, I've got buddies from Indy calling me who would kill a close blood relative for a chance to be there.

54fighting said:

54F,

I just referred to his tagline. "I don't care anymore".

Yes he has some valid concerns, but those are the same at about any airline. When I go back and read his post, it appears he didn't listen very well or just heard what he wanted to hear.

We are not selling planes to return to profitability, just slowing growth a bit.

Cat II certification may be for the 190s, as the bus is already Cat II/IIIB.

The revenue picture is much more than picking up a few charters. That is the biggest issue on our plate right now. We've spent 6 years giving tickets away. Our new guy from US Airways is working on that. They (LCC) have the second best revenue picture in the industry just under, as usual, SWA. Maybe he can help, maybe not, but revenue and fuel savings are both on the front burner right now.

He can't take a 190 position, and maybe not even a 320 position. Sorry pal, those are your only 2 choices here.

EFBs may happen, but I doubt you'll see it for a while.

Overall, when I read his post and read between the lines it appears by his tone that this is a person who went to the interview, but really doesn't want to work here.

I wonder if we had hedged fuel as much as Southwest, and shown a profit, would his post had been the same.

But, like I said, my reply was in reference to his tagline. Why would anyone who is interviewing at an airline, have that included in every post?

DW

Last edited:
Dogwood said:
54F,

I just referred to his tagline. "I don't care anymore".

Yes he has some valid concerns, but those are the same at about any airline. When I go back and read his post, it appears he didn't listen very well or just heard what he wanted to hear.

We are not selling planes to return to profitability, just slowing growth a bit.

Cat II certification may be for the 190s, as the bus is already Cat II/IIIB.

The revenue picture is much more than picking up a few charters. That is the biggest issue on our plate right now. We've spent 6 years giving tickets away. Our new guy from US Airways is working on that. They (LCC) have the second best revenue picture in the industry just under, as usual, SWA. Maybe he can help, maybe not, but revenue and fuel savings are both on the front burner right now.

He can't take a 190 position, and maybe not even a 320 position. Sorry pal, those are your only 2 choices here.

EFBs may happen, but I doubt you'll see it for a while.

Overall, when I read his post and read between the lines it appears by his tone that this is a person who went to the interview, but really doesn't want to work here.

I wonder if we had hedged fuel as much as Southwest, and shown a profit, would his post had been the same.

But, like I said, my reply was in reference to his tagline. Why would anyone who is interviewing at an airline, have that included in every post?

DW

You judge me by my tagline, but then tell me that I've not "listened very well." That somehow I've made a snap judgement. Hmmmmm.....pot meet kettle.

I stand by my conclusion that doing a couple of military charters a month is not "huge." It's a pittance. ATA does over $300M per year in military flights. I've done quite a few. It's saved our a$$ a couple of times. And I don't see how you can call it profitable to sell an airplane that's 5 years old. It probably has 10 - 15 years worth of payments and depreciation to take advantage of. Sound a little like "shrinking to profitability."

All I said was "it's scary to hear the same things."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back