• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Indy refugee said:
1yr FO 50.96 37.10
2yr EMB CA 72.32
4 yr CA A320 118.07
12 yr CA 138.62

Those are the base rates. Remember anything over 70 is paid at 1.5 times, including 5 hours of the 75 hours RSV guarantee.

Whoa! Those are the rates at JetBlue? What has this industry come to? I am not bashing the company (so, chill out if you think that), but a 12 year capt. $138.62?!?!?!?!?! That's pretty pathetic.

HalinTexas said:
. And I don't see how you can call it profitable to sell an airplane that's 5 years old. It probably has 10 - 15 years worth of payments and depreciation to take advantage of. Sound a little like "shrinking to profitability."

All I said was "it's scary to hear the same things."

Shrinking to profitability?!?!

Simple math, dude. 12 deliveries minus 5 potential sales is still 7 additional airbuses, this year. Not to mention the additional EMB's. Name another major airline, besides SWA, that's adding over 20 airplanes this year. Next year, it's still 12 new airbus deliveries, even after the 5 deferrals.

As I said you probably won't be happy here.

I for one really want to be at jetBlue. I am also concerned of their future as I don't have enough information and am currently well employed. I also picked up on some very uncertain vibes from a couple of jetBlue crewmembers as I flew jetBlue to JFK. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time and certainly have more research to do in the weeks ahead.

I'm not sure if Uppercrust is really on the list because he tends to show up in a lot of different places. If you are really there uppercrust, you are one funny dude and I hope you reveal your true identity in class. And no, you can't bunk with me in new hire class.

Good luck to all of you guys that interviewed, Phase 2 is a long haul. I love working at JetBlue, but there are realistic concerns. It is my opinion that if you are burned out of this industry, JetBlue will not fix it for you.

What was Metallica's original name? Hint: It's the first line of their first song.

What did Dave Mustaine originally call the song "Leper Messiah"? He claims he wrote it.

Their new bassist, Rob Trujiello (sp) came from what band, prior to playing with Ozzy.

Just some fun Metallica trivia for all of you Metalibangers.

CD

capt. megadeth said:
Whoa! Those are the rates at JetBlue? What has this industry come to? I am not bashing the company (so, chill out if you think that), but a 12 year capt. $138.62?!?!?!?!?! That's pretty pathetic.

Before you start calling our 320 rates pathetic, you should look at the rates of United, NWA and America West. NWA's 320 rates were lower to our before their recent pay cuts, America West we are higher than and the same thing as United. Then, you add the 150% above 70 hours and you are looking at $207.93/hr.

NWA 137/hr at 12 years
United 131/hr at 12 years
USAir/America West 125 at 16 years

Yes, our 190 rates are low but the 320 rates are not low at all comparitivly speaking

Last edited:
HalinTexas said:
You judge me by my tagline, but then tell me that I've not "listened very well." That somehow I've made a snap judgement. Hmmmmm.....pot meet kettle.

I stand by my conclusion that doing a couple of military charters a month is not "huge." It's a pittance. ATA does over $300M per year in military flights. I've done quite a few. It's saved our a$$ a couple of times. And I don't see how you can call it profitable to sell an airplane that's 5 years old. It probably has 10 - 15 years worth of payments and depreciation to take advantage of. Sound a little like "shrinking to profitability."

OK. ... I wish you luck.

You will always hear these "Same things" at any airline from the day you start until the day you retire. Trust me.

Look at the history of the company, and how quickly they react to problems, and whether they blame the problems on someone else.

That tells the true story. What you hear in the Safe Room is somewhat limited.

You are taking a lot of what you were told out of context.

You can't do that and expect to make a proper decision.

Again, I wish you luck.

DW

disagree

HalinTexas said:
You judge me by my tagline, but then tell me that I've not "listened very well." That somehow I've made a snap judgement. Hmmmmm.....pot meet kettle.

I stand by my conclusion that doing a couple of military charters a month is not "huge." It's a pittance. ATA does over $300M per year in military flights. I've done quite a few. It's saved our a$$ a couple of times. And I don't see how you can call it profitable to sell an airplane that's 5 years old. It probably has 10 - 15 years worth of payments and depreciation to take advantage of. Sound a little like "shrinking to profitability."

I can understand your concerns but if you were working here you would be privy the the amazing effort that is being put into cost savings.. Unlike other airlines that throw their hands in the air and say sorry guys we need a paycut jb has a dynamic way of putting employee input first.. It doesnt matter if you are the cleaning crew or the ceo your input is important..

Selling 2-5 of our oldest planes should hardly scare anyone.. We are taking delivery of new planes to replace those older planes..

Growth for thee year is about 25% remarkable in my opinion..

Guys that jump ship for a few hiccups are fools.. Consider how many airlines in the past have just lied to their employees and then one day sent out the furlough notices!!

We are not selling planes to return to profitability, just slowing growth a bit.

Riiiiiight. Do you really believe that B6 is just walking away from those airplanes without some type of encumberance? Also, what is the motivation for Airbus to work with B6? B6 is now saying they are taking the EMB's and that leaves out much of the potential for new orders for a 319 or 318 by B6. Perhaps Airbus and its own problems with the 350 and 380 may be forced to no longer offer the give aways they do with new aircraft. Hard times = hard contracts.

Our new guy from US Airways is working on that. They (LCC) have the second best revenue picture in the industry just under, as usual, SWA. Maybe he can help, maybe not, but revenue and fuel savings are both on the front burner right now.

Funny you should mention US and their revenue picture. They have had high revenue in the past but also the highest CASM in the past also. It is now with the addition of the AWA portion with a true western hub and an ability to increase long haul flying to balance the equation. An airline needs both long and short haul to develop the RASM-CASM equation. Look at what happened at Indy with the short haul idea, followed by the long haul idea, followed by the short haul idea with their 320's. You need the balance and with B6 announcing the reduction in the transcons as AA, DL and UA-ps hold their own in the bread and butter B6 flying is not a great picture for blue.

I wonder if we had hedged fuel as much as Southwest, and shown a profit, would his post had been the same.

If all the carrier had hedged to the level of SWA they would have been better off. However, B6 was most likely not in business when the hedges that SWA is burning currently were negotiated. Also, where would B6 get the cash to hedge?

Latest resources

Back