• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue June 3 interview results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does Jetblue have a 90 day waiting period to join the Group Health Insurance? And are pre-existing conditions like a pregancy allowed or excluded from coverage?

You notice wrong. I didn't say that or anything close to that. I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't one of the special skillsets you bring to the table.

Everybody has something unique about them. The bottom line is based on the little info we have on this thread, JetBlue appears to be more apt to interview a low time guy with little or no 121 experience when there are plenty of applicants with equal credentials, more TT, more TPIC and a lot more 121 time. I find that interesting. I also think Splert's analysis of the PINS process is dead on. The last thing JetBlue management wants is a bunch of experienced 121 pilots that have dealt with airline management before. They want airline rookies that will take a few years before they realize JetBlue isn't any different than any other airline. YMMV.

I think a couple people in this thread have really nailed it in terms of pointing out what the JB pilot recruiters are looking for. I think it is smart of them to look at the qualified-and-happy-to-be-there crowd, who has 3000-5000 tt, maybe no TPIC, and will be content to be at a "major," VERSUS the experienced high time furloughees.

I've been around the industry for a while, and passed on a JB interview at the end of 2007. IMHO - the growth there has already taken place. Guys hired from 1999-2003 made Airbus captain within an extremely short period of time, often six months or less. Folks hired from 2003-2005 upgraded quite quickly, to either the Airbus or the E190. From 2006 hires onwards, there might have been a few upgrades, but to the E190, and with a reserve schedule. Projecting ahead, I would expect JetBlue's seniority list in 20 years to look a bit like USAirways' right now - a ton of people hired in roughly the same time frame (a decade, +/-) and where you fit amongst that is everything. Some guys were on the leading edge of that curve and have been sitting comfortably forever, whereas others have been FOs for 18+ years.

If you go to JetBlue and start tomorrow, you're going to be an E190 FO on reserve for a long time, commuting to either JFK or BOS, which are two expensive cities and with ATC delays and whatnot, a PITA to reach. Not only that - if you look at JetBlue's order book, the growth prospects for the next decade are slim. It is not going to be the exponential-style that we saw in the early part of the 2000s, where everybody was upgrading to Captain in six months, getting a good paycheck, a line, good seniority, etc. Things are going to stagnate, and it is going to take a LOT more airplanes on the property than what JetBlue has ordered for you to see any realistic movement in your career.

Then, picture flying with someone who was hired only five years ahead of you BUT because of that, they are an E190 Captain with a good paycheck and schedule whereas you're on reserve forever. How are you going to feel, doing that day in and day out for the better part of a decade. Been there, done that, at my past airline.....its tough, listening to guys pass themselves off as "geniuses" because they got to go to JB in '02 and saw all the growth coming, and are sitting comfortably in the left seat of the A320, whereas you'll be lucky to see a reserve E190 captain seat in about ten years. I felt myself equally capable at them, but because seniority is everything in this industry and then had it and I didn't, there was no way I'd ever have the chance to upgrade. The first few months at JetBlue would be fun - they treat you well, have top notch training, and have cool destinations especially in Florida and the Caribbean, so fun overnights. But eventually that is going to wear off and you'll be stuck with the reality that you are an E190 FO on resv at JFK, and that is going to be your career for a long time. Nothing against resv life at JFK, but if I was commuting to that, it would be for AA or DL widebody intl' pay and work rules, and not E190 chump change.

Last but not least - can you fault the B6 hiring folks. If you were the one doing the pilot hiring at JetBlue, you'd be aware of the facts I've listed above. Lets imagine that you're a 9000 hr pilot/airline vet with 4 type ratings, 5000+ TPIC, and you were hired tomorrow as a JetBlue FO. Guess what. They know you are extremely marketable and based on the fact that you're a bottom FO making an average paycheck likely commuting to reserve in an expensive city, that you won't upgrade for ten years, that you're most likely going to be firing out resumes and will jump ship during the next hiring boom. Versus the 3000-5000 hr pilot who will be happy to be there, enjoying things, and will most likely put down roots for the long haul. And when that 9000 hr pilot jumps ship - thats another $20k+ or whatnot they have to spend to bring a newhire in, with the training cycle, accomodations, etc......

Take my comments with a grain of salt. JetBlue is a dream job for some. If you live in the NYC area or BOS or can hack commuting to reserve in those places, it could be great. But if you're looking to a place that is going to offer some semblance of normal career progression, it might not be for you. I've talked it over with numerous folks I know at B6, and the one thing I know for sure is that in its current form, JetBlue is NOT for me. The frustrating thing is 10 years ago, even BEFORE 9/11, I was trying to network to get there but wasn't able to get an interview. Now its a different environment and whilst JB has a solid business plan and will be there in the future, it is not for me.

FCN (who hasn't applied at B6 this time around).

Does Jetblue have a 90 day waiting period to join the Group Health Insurance? And are pre-existing conditions like a pregancy allowed or excluded from coverage?
Covered Day-1 however to waive PRE-EX you need to have have Evidence of Credible Coverage from a previous group or individual plan.

A current pregnancy will be covered IF you have evidence of credible coverage.

Last edited:
I think a couple people in this thread have really nailed it in terms of pointing out what the JB pilot recruiters are looking for. I think it is smart of them to look at the qualified-and-happy-to-be-there crowd, who has 3000-5000 tt, maybe no TPIC, and will be content to be at a "major," VERSUS the experienced high time furloughees.

I've been around the industry for a while, and passed on a JB interview at the end of 2007. IMHO - the growth there has already taken place. Guys hired from 1999-2003 made Airbus captain within an extremely short period of time, often six months or less. Folks hired from 2003-2005 upgraded quite quickly, to either the Airbus or the E190. From 2006 hires onwards, there might have been a few upgrades, but to the E190, and with a reserve schedule. Projecting ahead, I would expect JetBlue's seniority list in 20 years to look a bit like USAirways' right now - a ton of people hired in roughly the same time frame (a decade, +/-) and where you fit amongst that is everything. Some guys were on the leading edge of that curve and have been sitting comfortably forever, whereas others have been FOs for 18+ years.

If you go to JetBlue and start tomorrow, you're going to be an E190 FO on reserve for a long time, commuting to either JFK or BOS, which are two expensive cities and with ATC delays and whatnot, a PITA to reach. Not only that - if you look at JetBlue's order book, the growth prospects for the next decade are slim. It is not going to be the exponential-style that we saw in the early part of the 2000s, where everybody was upgrading to Captain in six months, getting a good paycheck, a line, good seniority, etc. Things are going to stagnate, and it is going to take a LOT more airplanes on the property than what JetBlue has ordered for you to see any realistic movement in your career.

Then, picture flying with someone who was hired only five years ahead of you BUT because of that, they are an E190 Captain with a good paycheck and schedule whereas you're on reserve forever. How are you going to feel, doing that day in and day out for the better part of a decade. Been there, done that, at my past airline.....its tough, listening to guys pass themselves off as "geniuses" because they got to go to JB in '02 and saw all the growth coming, and are sitting comfortably in the left seat of the A320, whereas you'll be lucky to see a reserve E190 captain seat in about ten years. I felt myself equally capable at them, but because seniority is everything in this industry and then had it and I didn't, there was no way I'd ever have the chance to upgrade. The first few months at JetBlue would be fun - they treat you well, have top notch training, and have cool destinations especially in Florida and the Caribbean, so fun overnights. But eventually that is going to wear off and you'll be stuck with the reality that you are an E190 FO on resv at JFK, and that is going to be your career for a long time. Nothing against resv life at JFK, but if I was commuting to that, it would be for AA or DL widebody intl' pay and work rules, and not E190 chump change.

Last but not least - can you fault the B6 hiring folks. If you were the one doing the pilot hiring at JetBlue, you'd be aware of the facts I've listed above. Lets imagine that you're a 9000 hr pilot/airline vet with 4 type ratings, 5000+ TPIC, and you were hired tomorrow as a JetBlue FO. Guess what. They know you are extremely marketable and based on the fact that you're a bottom FO making an average paycheck likely commuting to reserve in an expensive city, that you won't upgrade for ten years, that you're most likely going to be firing out resumes and will jump ship during the next hiring boom. Versus the 3000-5000 hr pilot who will be happy to be there, enjoying things, and will most likely put down roots for the long haul. And when that 9000 hr pilot jumps ship - thats another $20k+ or whatnot they have to spend to bring a newhire in, with the training cycle, accomodations, etc......

Take my comments with a grain of salt. JetBlue is a dream job for some. If you live in the NYC area or BOS or can hack commuting to reserve in those places, it could be great. But if you're looking to a place that is going to offer some semblance of normal career progression, it might not be for you. I've talked it over with numerous folks I know at B6, and the one thing I know for sure is that in its current form, JetBlue is NOT for me. The frustrating thing is 10 years ago, even BEFORE 9/11, I was trying to network to get there but wasn't able to get an interview. Now its a different environment and whilst JB has a solid business plan and will be there in the future, it is not for me.

FCN (who hasn't applied at B6 this time around).

I'm a JB A320 Capt on RSV and live in base in Boston and I'd say this guy has nailed it. If it weren't for the fact that I live in base and I made captain in 2.5 years, I'd seriously consider bailing at the next round of hiring too. But my timing was just good enough to make me comfortable.

I'm a JB A320 Capt on RSV and live in base in Boston and I'd say this guy has nailed it. If it weren't for the fact that I live in base and I made captain in 2.5 years, I'd seriously consider bailing at the next round of hiring too. But my timing was just good enough to make me comfortable.

Vingus - thanks for understanding and correlating. You'd be surprised in this www forum era, how quickly comments get taken the wrong way.

You guys run a kick ass airline at JB. Occasionally I fly on you (paid tickets). Almost all your FAs, pilots, and gate people I've dealt with have been great in terms of helping me do my travels on B6.

Sometimes I wish I'd had the chance to interview earlier last decade with you guys, but things happen for a reason. I can remember about seven months prior to 9/11, one of your CPs, (Ken Terry?), jumpsat on my flight to JFK and gave us some nice words after we did an ILS to near minimums. He gave his card and encouragement to apply when we met the qualifications - at the time I think JB hiring requirements was 3000 tt and not as skewed towards turbine PIC, plus they accepted applications on a first-in, first-to-interview basis. Even then I was impressed with you guys and I kept that card along with his jumpseat stub as I was planning on showing it to the interviewers as motivation of me wanting to be there if I'd have gotten the chance. Alas 9/11 happened and then everybody and their mom started applying to B6. JB hiring standards seemed to get re-jigged for higher-time, multi-turbine PIC applicants, and me being a lowly regional FO, I just didn't get looked at. Finally when I did get contacted (end of '07), my situation was different and it wasn't right for me.

I have numerous former co-workers at B6, and most seem to enjoy it a lot. I've always wondered what might have been though.

Fly safe-

FCN

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back