jetBlue, I'm ready for a union

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Breeze said:
320....tell me you don't see a difference between ALPA and what SWA and AirTran have in their professional associations.

Cheers.
If you are asking me (jetBlue320) I know the difference. My response was in reference to that other guy who posted something about Airtran and SWA.

I wasn't confused, but maybe you are thinking I was someone else?

C yaaa

From a not too bright bulb!

klhoard said:
Because when you guys drop your pants and bend over willingly, our bosses will expect the same from us.
Does "JFK-LGB-JFK in one duty period" ring a bell for anyone??
Boy, I wish! JFK-LGB-JFK!! Woooo....Woooo! A great 12rs for pay for a 13hr duty day. I could work 8 days/month for 96hrs (26hrs @ time and a half). Opps, would exceed 1000hrs/year! Guess I would have to alternate between 7days/month and 8days/month.

I figure 1 day on, 4days off, 1 day on, 4 off would work..might have to take a couple 5day periods off though.

"Hope springs eternal."

2dogs

Klhoard,

I'm not sure who you fly for... just a guess....FEDEX? I think that a lot of the guys at JB have been bent over at one point or another. Let me tell you about my time. In May 2003 at UAL I took a 30% pay cut, took a 2% cut to my "B fund", min 12 days off a month down to 10 days off, guarantee dropped from 75hrs to 70hrs. That adds up to a lot. To top that off I got furloughed. That's a 100% paycut. When you find out what ALPA did to help me there let me know.

Unless a guy came straight out of the military to JB there's a 98% chance they have the same story as I do. We know how it works. I would love to make more money and work less. Yes the pay rates on the 190 are low, we all know it. JB made a small profit in the 3rd qt and forcasts a loss for the 4th. There's a time to pick a fight and nows not the time.

I don't think the FAA went for the coast to coast turns.

2dogs,

That was my point. If you guys got your "exception" to the FAR's, then it's only a matter of time until the rest of us are getting reamed with the same rules. Unfortunately for us here at FDX, those coast to coast to coast turns will be happening from 2am to 11am.
stillflyn,

Fortunately, FDX was the first to call me back in 2000 so I haven't had to go thru a furlough (knock on wood). I won't even pretend to know what you've gone thru at United, as we all know it's a crapshoot.

However, I don't understand how ALPA (or any other union) can keep a carrier from going bankrupt or force them to keep pilots on the payroll when the ship is sinking. I know alot of contracts out there have "no furlough" clauses, but if the money isn't there (for whatever reason - Mgmt or Economy) to keep the paychecks from bouncing, then that clause was just wasted time for the negotiating committee.

Reamed?

klhoard said:
2dogs,

That was my point. If you guys got your "exception" to the FAR's, then it's only a matter of time until the rest of us are getting reamed with the same rules. Unfortunately for us here at FDX, those coast to coast to coast turns will be happening from 2am to 11am.
stillflyn,

Fortunately, FDX was the first to call me back in 2000 so I haven't had to go thru a furlough (knock on wood). I won't even pretend to know what you've gone thru at United, as we all know it's a crapshoot.

However, I don't understand how ALPA (or any other union) can keep a carrier from going bankrupt or force them to keep pilots on the payroll when the ship is sinking. I know alot of contracts out there have "no furlough" clauses, but if the money isn't there (for whatever reason - Mgmt or Economy) to keep the paychecks from bouncing, then that clause was just wasted time for the negotiating committee.
As one guy told me a long time ago, "Fly me, Pay me or Send me home!"

When I strap in, I want to fly. I don't ask for credit or other bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**! Just give me 8+ hrs pay a day and I am happy. Just let me work. The less days I have to go to work, the better for me! Somehow, working 7-8 days amonth is bad?

I am all for a 12 on12 off for the 121 guys. This 16hr crew duty day is bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** with only 8hrs of flying. Guess that tells you where I came from!

2dogs

Wow, those guys at jB REALLY like the coolaid

Posted by iflynights:

"BTW, I am in favor of the transcon turns. I think about about how long I am on duty, not how many hours I fly. I find multiple leg days and long sits more tiring. If you can log 11 hours a day, you would work only 7 days a week. Fedex is a different story, you guys work nights and get paid mostly soft time. I don't see as a good deal for you, but a great deal for airlines."

Emphasis added.

Man Iflynights, you guys really do want to make progress! 11 hours a day 7 days a week. Where do we sign up?

:D

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

FJ

Why stop there??

11 hrs. X 7 days = 77 hours.

77 hours / 24 hours = 3.2 days.

Wow!! If you lived in the jet and flew it continuously for 3.2 days non-stop, that would be your entire month!!

Eureka!! I'm calling my MEC representative right now!!!

BTW - I'm still looking for someone to explain to me how a union can keep a company from going bankrupt. . .

Last edited:
Guys, If this happens (west coast day turns) it will be an exemption granted by the FAA to B6 only!. If anybody else wants to be a part of it, it will cost them money to do so. Exemptions are like STCs in that the owner of the exemption "sells" them to any prospective user. Exemptions are granted to operators, other than the original owner, as a part of membership of an organization, (ie ATA, AOPA, USUA, etc.). If the exeption is granted to B6, it's not because the mgmt. suddenly said let's do it. It will happen because of a lot of research, testing, and data (along with a lot of money spent to do it) will be submitted to the FAA and the Civil Aeromedical Institute for their scrutiny before it happens. There is one final hurdle, even it the exemption is granted, you still have to have the pilot group buy off on it. If they scream long and loud enough, as they have with other initatives recently, it won't happen.

BTW, I'll fly it a few times a month, but not the entire month.

1) Money - not a factor for FDX. If it will save money in the long term, then they will pay it. (remember, our company wrote a $2.8 Billion check for Kinkos)

2) Pilot group resistance - That was my previous point. We will have to waste resources fighting this "bright idea" that would be better spent elsewhere.

Latest resources

Back