• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue ERJ's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Put 100 seat EMBs at any "regional" and see how many 'major' pilots still call it an RJ. They'd be screaming "That's mine" louder than they did during thier 5th divorce.

Some of you guys and girls crack me up. "Its an RJ!!!" , "No its not an RJ!!!!" My opinion is that it is not an RJ. It will be more comfortable in the cabin than the 320. I will say this though and I'm not proud of it. The 190 will be the lowest paid 100 seater in the industry if our mgmt. establishes the pay rates they want. It kind of bums me out. Guys at Comair will be making more flying a 50 seater.

what makes an RJ an RJ? I thought the 190 was an RJ, but is there a definition....or does nobody want to be an "RJ Driver"

all I care about is money, and days off.

SOOO you "Mine airplane and beat up your airplane" types, get used to it....when you finally finish flight school, you'll probably end up an an Embraer for a little while.

Ya, then they all will hope that they can move on to a major airline and fly real airplanes. RJ's are for building time.

The 190 will be the lowest paid 100 seater in the industry if our mgmt. establishes the pay rates they want. It kind of bums me out. Guys at Comair will be making more flying a 50 seater.

a320drivr,

I hear you on that one! I was hoping we'd have one payrate for all a/c on our property. It would sure go a long way in preventing the walls and divisions that inevitably form with different fleet types (how come the EMB guys are getting all the San Juan layovers now...why can't "we" get more productive trips, etc...) Not to mention the costs saved in training (seat locks can only do so much)

If we, being Jetblue, supposedly set the price in a lot of markets, why can't we charge enough to allow for this? Then there is the whole retort that the Airbus guys generate more revenue thus garner a higher wage. Well, this is completely non-scientific, but assume an Airbus guy flies one trans-con in a duty day versus the Emb guy flying three legs. The Airbus guy flew 156 people vs the 300 for the Emb. So who brought in more revenue? I know, I know, it's all about RASM vs CASM; but is there really that much dilution in yield? I seriously don't know, I'm asking!

Obviously I'm just paid to fly the planes and not make these types of decisions. That's why we have our excellent management team, for whom I have the greatest respect and confidence in. But in a perfect world, I'd hope we'd set a good standard for this new fleet type.

Bill Nelson said:
Ya, then they all will hope that they can move on to a major airline and fly real airplanes. RJ's are for building time.

Bill, since you seem to have it all figured out, what exactly is the difference between JetBlue's E-190's and mainline-operated DC-9's, B-717's, and F-28's? I guess Northwest and American pilots only build time in their -9's and F-28's before they can move on to the bigger planes.

Right, until you and I stand up and tell management that we deserve normal 121 jet pay on those airplanes. Not deflated "regional" pay. The regionals were typically mom and pop companies, hence the low pay. Now these airplanes are being flown by the majors in one way or another but still garner mom and pop wages. We do it to ourselves by allowing it. One day, I am hoping that the Embraers will just become another fleet type at the majors, pay will be less than the other larger airplanes but in line with them at the same time, right now they aren't.

If your company had 737's and 777's would you say to yourself, I'm gonna fly the 737 til I can get on a REAL airplane? The pay is a big difference but they are both very capable airplanes.
The E145 is also a very capable airplane. The only real problems I have had with it consistantly is the radar. Other than that its stupid messages at the gate, CTRL+ALT+DEL and bada bing its fixed. You don't like it because its significantly underpaid but somewhere along the line, you probably contributed to that as most of us have.

I don't need to be the highest paid pilot out there, I would, however like to make an average of what my peers on other aircraft are making.

what exactly is the difference between JetBlue's E-190's and mainline-operated DC-9's, B-717's, and F-28's?

The difference is the guys who fly the 9's 717 and f28's are paid good wages and respected by their peers. Typically speaking, the RJ has served to only lower the bar for everyone and therefore it is not a welcome addition to commercial aviation. Unfortunetly, you guys at JB have built a reputation as arrogant jerks that walk around the terminals in blue shirts with hair on your face and disrespect the rest of the professionals in this industry. Now you guys are getting RJ's and don't have a union to negotiate a good rate to set the bar for this airplane. Thus, the rest of the industry will suffer. That is the difference between you guys flying the ERJ's 190 and the folks who fly the B717, F28, and Dc-9's.

Bill Nelson said:
what exactly is the difference between JetBlue's E-190's and mainline-operated DC-9's, B-717's, and F-28's?

The difference is the guys who fly the 9's 717 and f28's are paid good wages and respected by their peers. Typically speaking, the RJ has served to only lower the bar for everyone and therefore it is not a welcome addition to commercial aviation. Unfortunetly, you guys at JB have built a reputation as arrogant jerks that walk around the terminals in blue shirts with hair on your face and disrespect the rest of the professionals in this industry. Now you guys are getting RJ's and don't have a union to negotiate a good rate to set the bar for this airplane. Thus, the rest of the industry will suffer. That is the difference between you guys flying the ERJ's 190 and the folks who fly the B717, F28, and Dc-9's.

I don't care about your opinion of JetBlue's pilots, their uniforms, or grooming standards. I asked what the difference is in the airplanes. The objective answer is that there isn't any. They have about the same size, range, mission and seating capacity. If anything, the E-190's are more capable, comfortable, and fuel efficient. That's not an "RJ", no matter who's manufacturing it.

Your argument is that if it doesn't pay as high as legacy airlines, then it's an RJ. Well, by that definition, the 747's at Polar and the 767's at North American are just da.mn big RJ's since they are paid less than we are. That's lunacy.

BTW, I'm not showing "disrespect the rest of the professionals in this industry" by pointing out that your argument is flawed, and that you seem only able to resort to personal attacks. Too bad, but the first person to resort to those methods is the automatic loser. Better luck next time.

I apologize to everyone else for beating a dead horse, but all I wanted was a clear definition. Whatever happened to civil discussion?

airbaker said:
I was hoping we'd have one payrate for all a/c on our property. It would sure go a long way in preventing the walls and divisions that inevitably form with different fleet types (how come the EMB guys are getting all the San Juan layovers now...why can't "we" get more productive trips, etc...) Not to mention the costs saved in training (seat locks can only do so much)

As it turns out, I agree with both of you guys, but I'm not sure it'll do much good to talk about it here. I sincerely hope that you wrote about this in the last Speak Up survey, where it'll have the most impact. Somebody had to say it, and the more the better.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back