• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skygod said:
>> Let's review...Boeing + Airbus + DC's = Real planes
>> Canadair + Embraer = RJ's

Let's compare numbers from company websites. One is the Boeing (nee Douglas) 717, one is the EMB-190

MTOW lbs: 110,000
Size in feet: 93x124x29
Range in nm: 1430

MTOW lbs: 110,893
Size in feet: 94x119x34
Range in nm: 2200

Can you guess which is the real plane? Hint: it's the one that flys higher and faster . . .

I'm not sure what Boeing B-717 you are referring to, but the ones I flew had a MTOW of 121,000 lbs.

Maybe you had better re-check those numbers. The 110,000 lbs is the max landing weight, although some operators use 104,000 lbs as max landing weight for economic reasons.

However, your point is well taken that this whole discussion is ridiculous. But, then again....this is flightinfo. What's new??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
""Let's compare numbers from company websites. One is the Boeing (nee Douglas) 717, one is the EMB-190

MTOW lbs: 110,000
Size in feet: 93x124x29
Range in nm: 1430

MTOW lbs: 110,893
Size in feet: 94x119x34
Range in nm: 2200

Can you guess which is the real plane? Hint: it's the one that flys higher and faster . . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what Boeing B-717 you are referring to, but the ones I flew had a MTOW of 121,000 lbs.

Maybe you had better re-check those numbers. The 110,000 lbs is the max landing weight, although some operators use 104,000 lbs as max landing weight for economic reasons.

However, your point is well taken that this whole discussion is ridiculous. But, then again....this is flightinfo. What's new??? ""

So what is the range of the B-717?
Just curious.

Thanks,

Mike

>> I'm not sure what Boeing B-717 you are referring to

I am referring to the B717-200/BR715-A1-30 (the standard 717) and citing figures from http://www.boeing.com/commercial/717/717technical.html and http://www.embraer.com/english/content/aeronaves/aviacao_comercial/erj190100/

You are referring to the "High Gross Weight" model. A high gross weight derivative of the EMB-190 is not yet offered, but experience with the many versions of the -145 series suggest it is possible in the future.

The maximum range of the standard 717 is given as 1430 nm at 34,200 feet. This is why Midwest can't fly them from Milwaukee to the west coast, and why AirTran is leasing 737's to go Atlanta to the west coast. The EMB-190 could do New York to Phoenix non-stop.

If headwinds are not too bad, it could also do IAD to LAX (1982NM). I don't think the 2200 NM range includes reserves, although I may be wrong. No problem from ATL, Charlotte, or PIT. ;)

Last edited:
The actual practical distance between two cities for the EMB-190 will be about 1700nm (this allows for alternate(s), headwinds, 45 min FAR fuel and contingency). While it can apparently fly 2200, that is not a good operational distance for reliability. Thus, you can expect 1700nm from a practical standpoint for both eastbound (tailwind) and westbound (headwind) roundtrip EMB-190 traffic.

Skirt

Skygod said:
>> I'm not sure what Boeing B-717 you are referring to

I am referring to the B717-200/BR715-A1-30 (the standard 717) and citing figures from http://www.boeing.com/commercial/717/717technical.html and http://www.embraer.com/english/content/aeronaves/aviacao_comercial/erj190100/

You are referring to the "High Gross Weight" model. A high gross weight derivative of the EMB-190 is not yet offered, but experience with the many versions of the -145 series suggest it is possible in the future.

The maximum range of the standard 717 is given as 1430 nm at 34,200 feet. This is why Midwest can't fly them from Milwaukee to the west coast, and why AirTran is leasing 737's to go Atlanta to the west coast. The EMB-190 could do New York to Phoenix non-stop.

Actually, AirTran operates a "hybrid" version of the 717, and is not the true "high gross weight" version. It has the same ZFW as the standard model. All I am saying is that I am speaking from personal operational experience...not something I read off the internet. But again, not that ANY of this has anything to do with anything. All we are doing is debating the definition of "regional" which has absolutely no bearing on anything except to people on this board who have nothing better to do.

I personally don't fall into that category, so I am out of this discussion.

FYI, the aircraft that AirTran is currently leasing to go to the West Coast are A320s (NOT 737s) operated by Ryan Int'l. They will soon operate their own aircraft, which will be 737s....however, these aircraft will be used throughout the route system where the company deems it prudent, and not just the west coast.

Last edited:
Blue Dude,

Come on man, get over it. Yes we know the range and bla bla bla but who cares.

The guy posted something totally diff. about the development of the airplane and you gotta come in with your nose higher than thou like JB's poop smells like roses.

Personally I could care less if its a broken dishwasher with wings and they call it a "kindergarden commuter jet" if the company buys and says fly it then I would.

I love you man but get over already.

so you have 1700nm - contingency fuel- tankering-any mel\cdl fuel= not very far but still TOO**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**LONG IN ANY RJ :)

It is an RJ! But why do any of us care. Let the passengers decide. I promise people will buy tickets to fly on it even if it is uncomfortable and little (I assume it will suck to ride on like all the other ERJ's so far). Thats all that really matters.

Like someone posted earlier, who cares that it is an RJ, JB will be the highest paid RJ pilots in the industry.

Maybe you guys can get your union to make the company give you some different shirts so you don't look like Caravan pilots walking through the terminal. Let the world know that you are RJ pilots, not Caravan pilots, damit!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back