• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue ERJ's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
im my opinion (not that it matters), a regional jet is a jet that goes where you want it to go but with comprimises all the time in passenger weight or cargo weight or fuel weight. a real jet is one that takes everything you want it to take and is never outsized or overloaded and capable of performing in all thats required ....no comprimises.

so ive been speaking to gate agents and some of the people who handle operations of these new 170s and i'm hoping someone can straighten some things out as truth or just minor occasional annoyances.

THEORY, the 170: load it up with max passengers, all the fuel you need, and the weights all come out fine. your carry-on roller bag actually fits in the overhead just fine now, but the bags underneath wont fit. the CUBIC VOLUME size of the cargo hold is too small. you'd think thered be some homework going on down in brazil. i mean other countries dont travel with their things in plastic bags slung over their backs...did they forget this? (bad humor attempt)...does it do this? is this a problem with this plane now? if so this = comprimise = regional jet

FACT, the 145: take the 145RJ and fill it up with 50 people, add weather at your destination, and the route youre on now requires you to dump people in order to make takeoff weight. (or landing weight + burnoff)....this is comprimise, this = regional jet

ive been on a 737 and shorty DC-9 and shorty 727 and ive never heard an announcement asking for volunteers to catch the next flight cause theyre overloaded. it only happens with the currently classified regional-type planes.

Last edited:
I think the term Regional Jet applies to any jet powered aircraft (regardless of range) whose flight crew are underpaid and overworked.

737 - 200 has to leave bags or passangers all summer long if they fly any distance. Sorry we can't let you ride weight restricted DC-9 from Atl

I don't think that size determines wether an aircraft is a regional jet or not. It is all about what routes they fly:

Cathay Pacific calls their 777's "regional jets" because they fly them in Asia.

Japan Airlines calls some of their 747's "regional jets" because they fly domestic routes with 600 pax on board.

As far as the payscale arguments I think pay-rates should be compared according to MTGW regardless of wether or not the aircraft is labeled as an RJ (ERJ, CRJ, FRJ etc)

Latest resources

Back