• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I heard on TV that the crew did an autolanding, that's why it looked so good."

I don't think that they would do an autoland in this kind of situation

FreightNazi said:
I heard on TV that the crew did an autolanding, that's why it looked so good.
It looked like they touched down quite a bit past the blocks. If I understood autolandings correctly, that should plop you down right on the 1,000 foot marks, correct?

User997 said:
It looked like they touched down quite a bit past the blocks. If I understood autolandings correctly, that should plop you down right on the 1,000 foot marks, correct?

It is an Airbus afterall!

I know, this goes into the Monday morning QB category; Does anybody else think that maybe they should have put a stand under the nose jack point asap? Before off-loading pax?

waka said:
I know, this goes into the Monday morning QB category; Does anybody else think that maybe they should have put a stand under the nose jack point asap? Before off-loading pax?

Yeah I thought of that, but I didn't want to post it because I thought it would be in poor taste.

cjs said:
How likely is it that JBU292 would be on socal approach seeing as how this is an emergency? Also, haven't spotted any orbitting A320 on passur yet ..

It's very likely that they would be on SOCAL approach. They don't change to different freq's just because you have an emergency.

cjs said:
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about aviation, but doesn't this underscore how dangerous it is to not have fuel dumping facilities available? In order to avoid an overweight landing, the aircraft in distress must orbit for god knows how long with whatever problems they're having as opposed to just dumping the fuel and making an immediate landing.

If you have a bad enough problem you make the overweight landing. Having a gear stuck in the wrong position isn't a problem that makes the a/c unflyable. Having the pumps and plumbing to be able to dump fuel takes a lot of weight and expense that is better used on other things.

how big/deep of a gouge do you think the nose gear left in that runway? is it closed indefinitely now, do you think?

Latest resources

Back