JetBlue emergency landing (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
421Driver said:
America West captain just interviewed on FOXNews. He said if the centering mechanism on the nosewheel failed, the nosewheel automatically "blows" to the 90 position. Makes sense, better than having a 45 or anything less for that matter. The tires can melt off and the plane skids away as we just saw.

CNN interviewed a United First Officer too. Don't these companies have non-discloser policies. Every company, in aviation, I have ever worked for forbid us from talking to the press under any circumstances (at least that was my understanding). Does it really matter that their company isn't involved. Are these guys going to be talking to the CP before their next trip?

cjs said:
Christ, is that a joke? "you fly it around and get the fuel where you want" .. sure, assuming the plane remains sufficiently airworthy to burn fuel for a few hours. You gotta be kidding dude.

Since when does flying a perfectly good aircraft around in circles with the gear down make that aircraft unairworthy?

CJS, is that a joke? If not you probably just made it in the top 1000 dumbest comments made on flightinfo. No where near the top of the list mind you but pretty bad nonetheless.

421Driver said:
America West captain just interviewed on FOXNews. He said if the centering mechanism on the nosewheel failed, the nosewheel automatically "blows" to the 90 position. Makes sense, better than having a 45 or anything less for that matter. The tires can melt off and the plane skids away as we just saw.

Why not have it "blow" to the 360' position, with a warning that it is stuck there? In my mind that makes more sense, but I'm just a pilot.

According to one of the FOX reporters... it is a landing gear "stick" (referring to the nose gear strut)

Av8rPHX said:
According to one of the FOX reporters... it is a landing gear "stick" (referring to the nose gear strut)
OH MY GOD, they sure get creative when they don't know the proper term.

Redmeat said:
Why not have it "blow" to the 360' position, with a warning that it is stuck there? In my mind that makes more sense, but I'm just a pilot.

Because of the rack and pinion steering, it will only go that far if the torque links (scissors) fail or are disconnected.

Latest resources

Back