• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue class dates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a friend who is number 60 in the pool. By your math he should be called for the next class. I will let you know if you are correct. Don't hold your breath.

I think you just like to see yourself type. Your so busy being a smarta$$ you don't even realize when people agree with you... Good luck to your buddy.

Do most pilots at Jetblue see this place as career type of place or just a job until something else comes along? I understand there is a younger pilot group over there and upgrades will take a long time due to lack of retirements or attrition. Also,what is best way to find out of upcoming job fairs at there Orlando facility, I live about 5 minutes from there.

The "magic" time for jetblue was to be hired in or before 2006. Whether or not this place is for you is and if you want to stay for the long haul is personal.

Between now and 2022 there will only be about 115 forced retirements. So if you simply look at attrition there is not much movement. We still have a good set of planes on order(+/-100ish), and the plan is to have 6-8% increase in ASM year over year. The company has a history of letting older planes go as new ones come onto property, so don't take the purchase of planes as an increase.

There are guys that are looking to get out from all seniority levels. There are also lots of guys that are perfectly happy here. We have issues here that need to be addressed, but over all it's a good working environment.

I keep my apps out, and if I were to be hired tomorrow by DAL or FEDEX I'd have a really hard time not making the jump. The difference in retirement alone is a lifestyle at the end of career.

goodluck

Or, they like their job. That could also be the case sir.

I love my job and I honestly loved my job when I flew for a regional too, but I left because of crappy pay and work rules. I will do the same at jetblue if/when an opportunity at better pay/work rules presents itself. People who stay here soley because they "love" their job are in for a big letdown when they find out their job doesnt love them.

As far as upgrade or progression, we have some retirements further down the road, we have growth (aircraft orders are big, while returning almost no airplanes these days) and we have attrition.

All true statements, but to add some color to that... We have 169 retirements over the next 10 years. That equates to ~7% of our current seniority list. Places like AA/US/DAL/UA have 40-50% retirements over the same time frame. But yes you are correct, we have a few retirements down the road. We do have growth, like we hashed out in an earlier thread aircraft deliveries dont necessarily mean more block hours flying. But yes, we have been averaging 2-6% block hour growth Y-O-Y for the past 5 years. Attrition exists as well! I have been here 1.5yrs and moved up 15 numbers during that time.

I fly with VERY FEW people who actually entertain leaving JetBlue, contrary to the picture you paint.

You are correct, there hasnt been a mass exodus like in 2007 largely in part because UA/DL/AA arent hiring/recalling.

Why would we open the application window?

Also the "company says" ... That is funny

The "company said" in recurrent last year we would hire 250 + pilots in 2012.

Still waiting for you to quote a post were I lied.

You are all velocity and no vector rookie and you guard this web board like someone who sticks up for their girl friends honor even though everyone else knows she is smoking the football team.

This is actually a pretty funny post. I give you credit for that.

There's a lot of arguing here, but as with most things, the reality of the situation is somewhere in the middle. My opinion:

This job is better than ANY regional. Period. Either seat. Just look at the payrates, B6 FO scale is higher than any Captain scale at pretty much any regional. Translation: You will make as much or more money in the right seat here then in the left seat at any regional. You can NEVER upgrade, and you will still do better than you will at a regional, not even counting premium pay.

There will be movement here, but it will be mostly to attrition. We are growing, but at Dave Barger pace. that means we are growing slower than molasses in winter. Barger seems incapable of doing ANYTHING other than New York to Florida. If he continues, he is going to saturate the market to the point to where we start competing with ourselves.

The operation is really stupid sometimes. They do a lot of stupid things, from the disasters of the past, to the BDL thing, to sending planes to Florida during a tropical storm just recently, with a system chief pilot sitting behind a damn desk thousands of miles away saying 'everything is fine'. I really fear that it is only a matter of time before something really bad happens. I just hope nobody dies.

Benefits suck a$$. Most expensive health insurance in the industry BY FAR. I pay double what I paid at a regional for full coverage. Retirement just improved some, but it is still behind. PTO accrual is significantly lower than it should be. STD and LTD are a serious pain.

If you are junior, your schedule will suck. You will fly nothing but a bunch of $hitty unproductive redeye crap ion the 320. Due to the lack of retirements and slow growth, you can expect $hitty trips on the bus for a long time. The 190 is a much better airplane to be junior on, at least in my opinion.

Summary: Don't believe the idiots that act like this place is a Vietnamese sweatshop putting Reeboks together. It's not. You'll make a good living, and even the $hitty trips are better than banging out 5-6 legs a day in a freaking RJ only to finish in an 8 hour overnight. However, when you compare B6 to Delta, WN, UniCAl, FEDEX, UPS, i.e. all the big boys, you're a MORON if you pass a job up there for B6. It's a stepping stone, period. Come here and cool your heels in a nice Airbus before jumping to one of the big boys. If something happens and you get stuck here, you'll be WAY better off than being stuck at a fricking regional.

Have fun and good luck.

There's a lot of arguing here, but as with most things, the reality of the situation is somewhere in the middle. My opinion:

This job is better than ANY regional. Period. Either seat. Just look at the payrates, B6 FO scale is higher than any Captain scale at pretty much any regional. Translation: You will make as much or more money in the right seat here then in the left seat at any regional. You can NEVER upgrade, and you will still do better than you will at a regional, not even counting premium pay.

There will be movement here, but it will be mostly to attrition. We are growing, but at Dave Barger pace. that means we are growing slower than molasses in winter. Barger seems incapable of doing ANYTHING other than New York to Florida. If he continues, he is going to saturate the market to the point to where we start competing with ourselves.

The operation is really stupid sometimes. They do a lot of stupid things, from the disasters of the past, to the BDL thing, to sending planes to Florida during a tropical storm just recently, with a system chief pilot sitting behind a damn desk thousands of miles away saying 'everything is fine'. I really fear that it is only a matter of time before something really bad happens. I just hope nobody dies.

Benefits suck a$$. Most expensive health insurance in the industry BY FAR. I pay double what I paid at a regional for full coverage. Retirement just improved some, but it is still behind. PTO accrual is significantly lower than it should be. STD and LTD are a serious pain.

If you are junior, your schedule will suck. You will fly nothing but a bunch of $hitty unproductive redeye crap ion the 320. Due to the lack of retirements and slow growth, you can expect $hitty trips on the bus for a long time. The 190 is a much better airplane to be junior on, at least in my opinion.

Summary: Don't believe the idiots that act like this place is a Vietnamese sweatshop putting Reeboks together. It's not. You'll make a good living, and even the $hitty trips are better than banging out 5-6 legs a day in a freaking RJ only to finish in an 8 hour overnight. However, when you compare B6 to Delta, WN, UniCAl, FEDEX, UPS, i.e. all the big boys, you're a MORON if you pass a job up there for B6. It's a stepping stone, period. Come here and cool your heels in a nice Airbus before jumping to one of the big boys. If something happens and you get stuck here, you'll be WAY better off than being stuck at a fricking regional.

Have fun and good luck.

Great post, this sums it up perfectly

Summary: Don't believe the idiots that act like this place is a Vietnamese sweatshop putting Reeboks together. It's not. You'll make a good living, and even the $hitty trips are better than banging out 5-6 legs a day in a freaking RJ only to finish in an 8 hour overnight. However, when you compare B6 to Delta, WN, UniCAl, FEDEX, UPS, i.e. all the big boys, you're a MORON if you pass a job up there for B6. It's a stepping stone, period. Come here and cool your heels in a [edit: nice Airbus] POS E190 before jumping to one of the big boys. If something happens and you get stuck here, you'll be WAY better off than being stuck at a fricking regional.

Have fun and good luck.

See edit above. Except you may or may not be better off at a regional. If this place is a stepping stone then you better have the PIC requirement (published and unpublished) before you "get stuck here".

This place is buyer beware.

For those pilots who have left B6 in the last year or two, where have they typically gone? Any examples?

Obviously many of the legacies have stalled their hiring (with the exception of USAirways) but could be opening up soon...

For those pilots who have left B6 in the last year or two, where have they typically gone? Any examples?

Obviously many of the legacies have stalled their hiring (with the exception of USAirways) but could be opening up soon...

Buddy in my class left for FDX. There hasnt been much attrition lately. I was hired 1.5yrs ago and moved up about 15 spots since I started.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back