Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue CEO on pilot’s mid-air meltdown: ‘It started medical, but clearly wasn’t’

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the question is, are both pilots type rated in the aircraft? (It's been a long time since I last flew domestic 2 pilot operations; back then the FO did not need a type rating, but I think the rules have since changed)

If so, then the First Officer IS "Captain Qualified", no?

I'm pretty sure the intent of the wording of your FOM does not mean for a First Officer to "check first to see if there are any available Captains sitting in the back of the bus before you assume command."

The FO has a FO-only "type rating", which qualifies him to be a FO. He/she is not qualified as a CA.

Yes, the intent of the FOM is to put a CA in the left seat, if one is on the plane. Absent a CA on the plane, the FO assumes command.

Okay, I think we've all beat the "who's in command" thing to death. More importantly, how is the Captain doing? I realize most will be private but is he out of the hospital? In Jail? Committed? Can anyone comment on whether it's been determined if there was a pathology involved..ie a tumor? I'm curious because the Feds didn't waste any time filing charges. I found that to be rather cold. If he truly is sick, like something that was undiagnosed, could the charges be dropped?

Maybe someone put LSD or something like that in his coffee!

Okay, I think we've all beat the "who's in command" thing to death. More importantly, how is the Captain doing? I realize most will be private but is he out of the hospital? In Jail? Committed? Can anyone comment on whether it's been determined if there was a pathology involved..ie a tumor? I'm curious because the Feds didn't waste any time filing charges. I found that to be rather cold. If he truly is sick, like something that was undiagnosed, could the charges be dropped?

That will be up to judge, and only if prosecutor comes to judge asking for it to be dropped. Possible, yes. Likely ? probably 50/50 chance.

remember, this ended with no innocent lives hurt/lost. what would have happened if they crashed into a field, nose down, because the Captain acted up, medical condition or not. Say the Captain is the only guy who walked away, everyone else, dead. Does the end result change whether charges "should" be pressed or not ? Etc etc. We could discuss this forever and ever.

This case is new un-broken territory, lets see how it plays out.

That will be up to judge, and only if prosecutor comes to judge asking for it to be dropped. Possible, yes. Likely ? probably 50/50 chance.

remember, this ended with no innocent lives hurt/lost. what would have happened if they crashed into a field, nose down, because the Captain acted up, medical condition or not. Say the Captain is the only guy who walked away, everyone else, dead. Does the end result change whether charges "should" be pressed or not ? Etc etc. We could discuss this forever and ever.

This case is new un-broken territory, lets see how it plays out.

All "speculation". Did he ever actually do anything contrary with the flight controls? What did he do other than exercise his freedom of expression? Did his words cause the plane to turn upside down? The prosecuter will have nothing to stand on when its over with. I think his attorney will eat them alive before its over with.

All "speculation". Did he ever actually do anything contrary with the flight controls? What did he do other than exercise his freedom of expression? Did his words cause the plane to turn upside down? The prosecuter will have nothing to stand on when its over with. I think his attorney will eat them alive before its over with.

You might want to re-read the FAR's! He broke so many of them that he should never be allowed to enter a cockpit ever again. I think his attorney has his work cut out for him.

All that being said, it's a very sad event that happened and he needs all the help he can get. The rest of his life is up to him and the courts. Good luck to him and his family.

Regardless of what the cause of this breakdown was, he should never be allowed to pilot an airplane again. Would you let your family on an aircraft with him at the controls? I think not!

Latest resources

Back