Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue CEO on pilot’s mid-air meltdown: ‘It started medical, but clearly wasn’t’

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Think about what may have happened if the FO instead was locked out of the cockpit and then ask yourself the same question.

I don't have any doubt the FO did the right thing. I am just saying that it was an incredebally brave act. I try to think of the thought process of it all and at what point in time did the FO make the decision to commit locking the Captain out of the flight deck.

I am also curiouse as to the non-reving pilot in the back. Was it another JB pilot or an offline guy.

The CEO can say whatever he wants. Jetblue pilots can't sue their leadership, they have a process to follow as outlined by their pilot employment contracts. This guy Barger has a ticket to say what he wants and the burden lies on a process and Osbon to establish harm.

Not true! Clayton can sue this CEO for many things. To take your arguement to the extreme then if the CEO punched Clayton your arguement would assume Clayton would not have legal recourse.

JB pilot non-reving.

If this Captain was such a threat why did the FO open the Cockpit door again to let the other guy in. He should've landed the plane without opening the door at all. I would not think they can legally charge the Captain with interfering with the flight crew, as HE is part of the flight crew. Very weird situation.

Last edited:
If this Captain was such a threat why did the FO open the Cockpit door again to let the other guy in. He should've landed the plane without opening the door at all.

Pretty sure the captain was under about 500lbs worth of New Yorkers at the time. I'm sure he wasn't going anywhere.

Simon, the term "interfere with a crewmember's duties" is being used rather loosely here. If you ask the flight attendants to stop service for potential turbulence or any other reason, their duty is to comply. Interference is a different matter.

Simon, the term "interfere with a crewmember's duties" is being used rather loosely here. If you ask the flight attendants to stop service for potential turbulence or any other reason, their duty is to comply. Interference is a different matter.

I would agree.

The question is when and who relieved the Captain from being the Captain. The FO? Can the FO relieve the Captain from being the Captain? Granted the Captain could no longer pilot the aircraft but he is still a crewmember. Then ask yourself this. What if an FO or Captain locks out the other person without a valid cause or with what they think is a valid cause but it doesn't deem locking them away from the controls or their assigned seat. I find this aurgument facinating. This JB FO organized and performed a mutiny against the Captain. Rightfully so, but he still performed a mutiny.

Anyway you slice it I think the Captain is getting a raw deal with any pending criminal charges. I truly feel for the guy and really wish I could help.

If there are any JB guys reading this and know of an assistance fund I would gladly donate. Not only to help the family financially but to show the family that they are supported.

Latest resources

Back