Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue CEO on pilot’s mid-air meltdown: ‘It started medical, but clearly wasn’t’

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Come on Simon. You are really hung up on the "captain is God" thing. This isn't a nuclear submarine.... He was clearly mentally incapacitated and the FO did the right thing. Period...

You seem to be the only one that doesn't understand that the captain doesn't have the right to bring down the airplane, simply because he is the captian.

With a complex like yours, I am glad I never flew with you. Wouldn't be enough room in the cockpit for both our heads.

This FO did an amazing job. +1

I think the real question that begs to be asked,

Did the F/O get to log PIC for the time the former Capt. was under a stack of passengers?

Separate logbook column?

Opine?

It's like the famous old interview question:

Q: "You're at 36,000' over the Atlantic, and the Captain slumps over, dead. What do you do?"

A: "You mean, after I move him out of my seat?"

From what I gather, he was into fitness/healthy lifestyle. He also sold ViSalus products (drinks, vitamins, etc - centered around shake mix meals) on the side. I don't think there's a link between what happened to him and the products. He had been on ViSalus products since 20 July 2011 (that information came from his ViSalus webpage).
He has a ViSalus distributor webpage but I'm not going to post a link to it because it contains his phone number and other personal information, including photos. There are also hints on his webpage that he is deeply religious - but I don't think that there are any connections between his religious beliefs and this incident.

For those who want more information/are curious about ViSalus products, here's a link: http://www.visalusshakes.com/

One thing is almost certain, he was clearly influenced by some interruption of proper brain function. This individual, like most, would have never behaved in such a way otherwise. I personally think he was as much a victim of circumstance as the passengers of the aircraft. It may sound odd, but my first thought was whether his "diet" may have induced blood sugar issues... Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can be very dangerous and has a list of symptoms it takes a book to document. Unfortunately, if his blood sugar stabilized by the time anyone thinks to check it, if at all, he could appear to be free of a medical problem which might lead to misdiagnosis. Obviously, there are a number of other ailments that can impact brain function. I just hope they figure this out and are able to help the guy.

Not faulting the F/O as there is no question as to the Captain's "incapacitation." But I don't see how the Captain can be charged with interfering.

FAR121.533(e)
"Each pilot in command has full control and authority in the operation of the aircraft, without limitation, over other crewmembers and their duties during flight time, whether or not he holds valid certificates authorizing him to perform the duties of those crewmembers."

Couple thoughts,

Once the FO assumed command, the CA was no longer the CA. I'm sure even a lawyer could make that point.

Second, and more open ended here. Would we feel differently about this incident if it was the Non-reving pilot who lost it? Or any of the passengers in back?

I don't like seeing him charged. I think it's obvious he didn't premeditate this event.

I think the system worked very well. Crew and pax took immediate and appropriate action to end the undesired state. We don't need to change a thing.

I think the real question that begs to be asked,

Did the F/O get to log PIC for the time the former Capt. was under a stack of passengers?

Separate logbook column?

Opine?
...Yes, but he is only allowed to log the landing....
and only if he sat in the left seat and attempted to adjust the vertical with the WRONG hand..

Luckily since the JB pilots are dressed pretty much like their flight attendants the cabin just thought it was another nutso flight attendant and remained calm...

Latest resources

Back