jetBlue Captain Pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
VMA214 said:
Just a question for you JB guys. Who and when do "they" determine any "new" pay rates for you guys?

There is no set time that pay and benefits must be revisited. But every year a comprehensive (and anonymous) satisfaction survey is administered across the company by a third party, with the results compiled and sent to department heads for action. Pay and benefits questions are on the survey. If a particular item becomes a leading issue, it must be addressed one way or another, even if it's just to explain why there will be no action. This is exactly how the pay got bumped in 2001 - it was by far the number one concern among pilots that year. Last year, pay wasn't a top concern, so no further action was taken. The 2003 survey was completed a couple of months ago, but the results aren't out yet. They won't be released until a specific plan to deal with the top items is formed, so the results and plan will be released at the same time. We'll see whether pay and benefits is a top item this year. Human nature being what it is, and given the continued success of the company (and the kick in pay at SWA), I'd be willing to bet it's more of a concern this year than last year. Stay tuned.

RTFP

Mo' Better Blue said:
I think I'm in the majority when I say I have faith in our leaders.

Kid -- Mo did not say he spoke for you or the majority. He simply stated that he thought he was in the majority, who have faith in our leaders. From my interactions with pilots in my class and pilots I've flown with at JB, I think it is safe to say he is. Even those I've spoken with who think we should get a raise believe Dave and David will make the right decisions when the time comes.

I believe your view is a minority view, and you are welcome to it. Of course, I have to wonder about why your are working for JB. Your posting about hiring at United was sexist and racist. You imply you think you are undercompensated. Your response to Mo indicated that you don't have faith in our leadership. There are about 5,000 guys who have applied to JB who would love to have your job. Do you really feel that way or are you just trying to get everybody fired up and in a flame war with you?

To Blue Dude:

No you go back under your rock,a JB post of any kind is always going to stir up controversy just has this one has.If you can't take opposition to anything about JB...too bad.If history holds true for most start ups,one day they will be gone then none of this will matter.

Re: To Blue Dude:

Intruder One said:
...too bad.If history holds true for most start ups,one day they will be gone then none of this will matter.

If you really believed this, why did you waste your time and their's by interviewing? Or could it be that your outlook changed because they turned you down? Holding on to that grudge won't do you any good, that's for sure.

Yes I do believe this but I'm furloughed so I'll take any interview I can get.A job for some length of time is better than nothing.I know its going to be a sad day on these post if they don't make it,hope I'm around to see it.

Management decides. For an example, pre-Sep 11 captains got paid 78 bucks an hour and FOs got 43 for first year pay. When the results of our success held true, management allotted a 32% raise to keep us just under SWA and above most LCCs. Then Sep 11 occurred. The raise was shelved for a couple of months then reinstated in Nov. when it was realized that people were still flying. Get this, they also reinstated it retroactively. This is amazing considering the fact that all JB pilots signed a 5-year contract with already established pay-rates.

My understanding is the pay is always under review, not only for pilots. After the second quarter of last year yielded a 16.8% profit margin, our President of Operations was quoted to say that although it was a great number, there was something wrong with it. It meant one of two things, "We're either overcharging our customers, or we're not paying our people enough". Shortly thereafter, the flight attendants got a raise.

Latest resources

Back