jetBlue Captain Pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blue,

That is fantastic to hear. I agree wholeheartedly with your operations guy, and am happy to hear that they are considering steps to rectify that situation. I don't know why the message angers most when it comes from me, but thrills them when it comes from him. It's the same message, just a different messenger.

I hope you guys get a raise to make you higher paid than we are. I mean that. It would help take a lot of pressure of us, and furthermore, you guys deserve it. I have always said (and you can search my threads for proof) that you guys do a great job.

FlyDeltasJets--You're exactly right. I want someone higher paid than I am(no problem with that now!).

I wish management paid as much attention to the management style of the successful carriers as they do to the pay. AA management keeps earning their title of "Sky ****'s" every day and they wonder why the employees aren't as effecient as SWA or JB.TC

FlyDeltasJets said:
Blue,

That is fantastic to hear. I agree wholeheartedly with your operations guy, and am happy to hear that they are considering steps to rectify that situation. I don't know why the message angers most when it comes from me, but thrills them when it comes from him. It's the same message, just a different messenger.

I hope you guys get a raise to make you higher paid than we are. I mean that. It would help take a lot of pressure of us, and furthermore, you guys deserve it. I have always said (and you can search my threads for proof) that you guys do a great job.
FDJ,

I think you are not getting the same message as me from the posts concerning this topic. I can't speak for anyone other than myself; so take into consideration I write this only on behalf of myself.

First, I think you think your compensation is directly based on what I earn. It seems folks are real quick to point out we are not a major, yet seem to think we are when it comes to our pay scales. You can't have it both ways. You have to realize we are a three-year-old airline and darn lucky to be considered a national that is a "player" in today's market, in such a short amount of time. We are entirely too busy trying to build a successful company to care right now what you are getting paid when your CEO is making many times what ours is. It seems your company's bottom line has a whole lot less to do with my job, and more with the job Leo is doing. Besides, exactly when did it become an unfair advantage to be a start-up in this industry?!?

Second, if your negotiating committee is allowing discussion of a three-year-old national airline's pay scales in their negotiations, they are sad. Any such links between two obviously different airlines should be nipped in the bud immediately.

Third, if your theory of what one airline negotiates affects the others was true, we'd have a far different industry than what we see right now. Let me provide you with three current relevant examples.

First you could kiss jump seat privileges goodbye. Delta didn't have jump seats until '96, so why were other airlines allowed to keep them in their contracts? Heck, JetBlue was started with unlimited jumpseats! I didn't see Delta getting unlimited jumpseats because JetBlue got that.

To cite another example from Delta, they didn't have crew meals for at least one contract until this last one. Why did other airlines still have them in theirs? Shouldn't that have been negotiated out as an "industry standard"?

The last example comes from American Airlines. Did you know if they get back from a trip and won't have enough rest for a trip the next day, they aren't pay protected? I couldn't believe that when my crashpad roomie told me that! Imagine the safety concerns with trying to get back to your base in time to not get screwed!

Again, I think your negotiating committee is merely trying to find excuses in advance. I do think that the pay rates at United, American, etc. can and probably should affect your pay. I think, however, the effect of that is way overstated. It's just done so more people aren't disappointed with the results of a negotiation.

With this said I think Delta is probably the finest full service airline out there. I am never displeased when I get off one of their aircraft. However, I truly believe that if they provided the same level of service as what was common in the 60s and 70s, they would blow AA and UAL away. I really don't think anyone in the industry is thinking like a customer any more. Yes, you'll always have people that want only the cheapest fares. But, what about the Filet Mignon connoisseurs of air travel? It seems to me that no one is even trying to get their business. No one is offering the Morton's of Chicago level of product any more. Just everybody trying to squeeze a nickel of profit while servicing to Burger King standards.

Again, just my thoughts.

Respectfully,

JayDub

Jaydub,

I never said that my compensation was directly based on what you earn. I did, however, say that the growing popularity of lcc carriers are putting VERY severe pressures on the compensation packages of the major carriers. You are correct, B6 is not big enough yet to have a signifcant effect, but them, coupled with the others (LUV especially) are undoubtably having an effect, and anyone who argues that is either naive or just have not been paying attention.

By way of evidence, I offer you the following quotes:

"The fact is that we are an old, established industry that has evolved pay and
benefits over time that are in the top 5 per cent of corporate America and our
results are in the bottom 1 per cent. That has got to change," Mr Reid told the
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Aviation Conference, Europe was not expected
to be immune to the shake-out.

Fred Reid, Delta's president and chief operating officer, said: "Eighty per
cent of the entire difference [with the low cost carriers] is at the employee
cost line. We have competitive costs in every cost line except for the
employment line."

While it would be nice, as you suggest, to not discuss the lcc's in any future negotiations, I'm afraid as they grow at 20% - 80% per year, we no longer have that luxury. They are our competition, and right now we are losing.

While I don't believe everything Reid says, I (as are all of us) am astute enough to read a 10k, and the lcc's DO get the lion's share of their cost savings from employee wages and benefits. It is all there in black and white, in an SEC filing.

While I thank you for your compliments, I don't agree with your assesment that better service are all it takes to win in this environment. AMR has more legroom than anyone, and they lost $1.3 BILLION dollars this QUARTER! I want our service to improve, and I recognize that this will help the bottom line. But the number one purchase driver (by far) is ticket prices, and right now our costs are higher than the prices offered by the lcc's.

Granted, B6 does a great job, so great in fact that they are able to offer a ticket premium. However, it is still FAR lower than we were able to command before their entrance in the market.

I do commend you on your success. Despite what some say, I am not jealous, as Delta has been my dream since I was a little boy. I would not trade with anyone, and on my 60th birthday, I am convinced that I will have enjoyed a long, prosperous, and enjoyable career with Delta. (well, convinced might be too strong a word! Maybe reasonably sure :) )

In the meantime, however, the profession is facing pressures. I would have thought that was obvious to everyone. One of the pressures is the compensation, benefit, and workrule packages at the new breed of successful air carriers.

I meant no disrespect, and I was completely honest when I said that I wish you the best, and I hope your pay continues to climb. You guys are certainly on the right track. I simply agree with your VP of ops. You aren't paid enough for the great job you do.

Latest resources

Back