• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jetBlue Captain Pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kid -- I removed the words because you found them inflamatory. I'm not here to flame anyone. My point was simply that people should not misrepresent who they are, who they work for, or what they fly. People just need to be honest about who they are if this forum is to have any credibility at all. These forums are certainly for the free exchange of ideas and I do not mean to chill that in any way. -- dgs

Re: To Jay Dub

Intruder One said:
I really don't care what JB does any more than the other LCC's it's just that was the topic of this post.Any of the others I'd done the same thing.

Retirement as far as profit sharing goes,I didn't know you couldn't it get until retirement oh oh oh.Hopes it protected somehow or that might be bad news down the road.

Hey!!! How'd I get drug into this? I was minding my own bidnizz.

Before I return to the sidelines on this one, I have one question for you Intruder. Why don't you look at what it says on your company ID before you slam Mesa and those that work there? If you were so incensed at the P.O.S. contract, why'd you return to work under it?

JayDub

Ha ha. Pay discussions always get me a little fired up too folks. Question: As an employee who CHOSE to work here, (employee and chose...the key words) I wonder are we entitled to anything? What are we obligated to receive as compensation and who can be ultimately responsible for determining those numbers? One would argue that while you are still an employee you really don't have any say in the matter. You did your research, applied, were extremely fortunate to be offered a position, everything is great. You made a choice, and accepted the offer. Some of us work for a while and settle in...and now its time to start wanting. Meanwhile along come big profits and with that some of us get greedy and the attitude that we are entitled to some of that. The trend has been to unionize to get what we want. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it really goes south. Are we not witnessing both sides right now? Those were good years "just the other day". We invented ways to be compensated...there was a boatload of cash! More recently...that was an absolute industry disaster! It wasn't caused by sky-high compensation packages...but those same cushy wages and nice work rules did play a role. Do we really need over $300 an hour to do this? Should I not be working more than an average of 50 hours if I am getting compensated for 75? On and on... While disaster was looming up over the horizon, some of us were laughing all the way to the bank. But I wasn't laughing in that fxxxing unemployment line. Of course, I would love to cash those kind of checks, but not if it means I help the bankruptcy process along, or my furlough date. Pretty easy to figure, I need the company to survive to sign those checks...right? And back to my original point...I trust my management (so far so good) who makes those compensation decisions, who offered me employment and I CHOSE to accept...I trust they will make the correct decision for the good of us all. Both sides, if you still think we are on different sides. JB (and whoever else has the same plan...I don't know) might really have something here. This might be the new way to do business...we are on uncharted territory now folks. It was never this bad...the perfect storm...and if you are sitting around waiting for this to return to "normal" you may wait all the way to the rocker. And if I want to be determining the size of my own check...then I should stop being an employee and become the employer.
No I'm not settling for anything...I am being realistic in our current economic state. Its 2003, the shxt hit the fan, I'm employed, receiving a good compensation, I really have nothing to bxxch about. And if you CHOOSE to be an employee...neither do you right now. We are on precarious ground here folks...just look at the last decade if you want a "who would've thunk it". If some of you haven't noticed there are how many of us on the street? I think we might consider ourselves lucky to be cashing a check period. I will be last in line to go off half cocked and leading the charge for a bigger one right now! But that's my opinion...

Moderator Input

A few simple rules, folks:

--No one (except the super moderator) will use this forum to find out the identity of other posters.

--Posters can say what they want within the guidelines of the published forum policy.

--Anyone who misidentifies themself or misconstrues their position leave themselves open to scathing attacks and ridicule from their forum neighbors.

Re: Re: Response to Blue Dude

Blue Dude said:
No, no, no, I said nothing about being paid according to my "need", whatever that is. I meant that the pay is adequate for me, to maintain the lifestyle I want. It is "adequate" in the sense that it is enough for what I want in life, and therefore that's good enough. Comparing my pay to others' to determine whether I ought to be satisfied with the lifestyle my pay provides for me is groupthink, penis envy, and worse.

I hope you can see some danger in this approach. I am sure you are happy with your compensation package, but I feel the only way for you to keep your compensation package is to adhear to "industry standards".

Obviously you and I have a very different idea of what "adequate" is. However I want to see you and all pilots KEEP what they feel is adequate. Some people at JB may feel adequate for them is less than what it is for you, this may effect your future compensation package and lifestyle.

Just some thoughts, I could be wrong, I could be right.

Respectfully,

NYR

Nice post Mo' Better Blues

Mo,

I agree with everything you just said....except the part where you say you are sure you speak for the majority. It seems this is a common refrain, no matter what somebody says they always claim to speak for everyone else...

Why not just speak for yourself? Say how you feel and let everyone else speak for himself. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion no matter how many (or few) others may endorse it. And anyway, short of hiring a polling firm to conduct a scientific poll, you have no way of knowing how many others agree with you anyway.

Just my 2 cents........ Happy landings.

To Blue Dude:

Hope you know more about flying than you do the stock market"In time stocks don't loose money"I can see by that statment you are very naive.Enron,global crossing,usairways,all gone,companys are still there but stock is gone.I guess discussing the business side of a company with you is pointless.I guess I should keep JB forever because it could never loose money.

Just a question for you JB guys. Who and when do "they" determine any "new" pay rates for you guys? FWIW I have been telling any copilot I've been flying with who's about to be furloughed to get an application in with JB yesterday!

After lurking in this thread since it started I can understand some of the "altruistic" attitudes you guys have towards management and I agree that it appears to have worked well so far. But, human nature being what it is, and this is my personal opinion, those in the head shed will eventually begin to "see" more and more of the pie as belonging to themselves. I know that flys in the face somewhat with SWA but even those guys have a union. Then again, as NY Rangers says...I could be wrong...

Re: To Blue Dude:

Intruder One said:
Hope you know more about flying than you do the stock market"In time stocks don't loose money"I can see by that statment you are very naive.Enron,global crossing,usairways,all gone,companys are still there but stock is gone.I guess discussing the business side of a company with you is pointless.I guess I should keep JB forever because it could never loose money.

I was referring to the stock market as a whole, not individual stocks. In the long term, the stock market doesn't lose money, at least it never has so far. Individual stocks may, but the market as a whole does not. A properly diversified stock fund is all but guaranteed to do better over the long run than a safe money market fund, but everyone has a different tolerance for risk. Don't worry about me, I can take care of my own retirement planning, thank you.

I notice that you carefully avoid the meat of the discussion only to nitpick on the fringes. A sure sign you've run out of constructive comments. Go back under your rock.

Latest resources

Back