Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue: Below average and it's going to stay that way.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A buddy of mine at JB refers to it as the "Walmart" of the airline industry. He's applying to Emirates as we speak.

That must mean you work for the "Dollarstore" of the industry. Your family must be So proud. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I get a little tired of these guys posting stuff on these sites that isn't even fact.....yet. We may not get the 2.2, my sources say we will in fact get it. Although I agree it doesn't make up for a lot of shortfalls, because it's actually a "look-back" comparison. We are 2.2% behind our peers using 2011 numbers. But, if they do bring us up, it brings our A320 compensation to the average of "like" airlines, with similar aircraft. This will also bring up the 190 to within 10% of the Bus.
Although our retirement is behind, it is not 7% behind. Using other airlines profit sharing paints an inaccurate picture. No other airline guarantees a profit every year......so using guaranteed numbers we are 3% behind our peers in retirement.
Our PTO is used for everything, including sick...vacation, and personal time off. But, to it's credit........it also has a monetary value. No other airline has this. If you have over 100 hours accrued, you can sell back PTO at premium.....(150% base). Also, a 35 credit week of vacation only costs the pilot 24.5 hours.
Our premium pay system of anything above 78 hours is 150% isn't too bad. It's potentially worthless on months there is no open time. I for one would give this up for a base rate raise.
Our rigs are in line with the industry, but our per day rig is controlled incorrectly, in my opinion. It averages 5 hours per day, but should be 5 per day minimum.

We absolutely need a union, and the protections with it.....and also the ability to negotiate. But, some of the posters on this site are the typical never happy, always frustrated, constantly bitching pilots every airline has.

Even with all of the shortfalls at JetBlue, I still enjoy going to work.....and am proud to be here and fly here. Just my opinion.

CD

I get a little tired of these guys posting stuff on these sites that isn't even fact.....yet. We may not get the 2.2, my sources say we will in fact get it. Although I agree it doesn't make up for a lot of shortfalls, because it's actually a "look-back" comparison. We are 2.2% behind our peers using 2011 numbers. But, if they do bring us up, it brings our A320 compensation to the average of "like" airlines, with similar aircraft. This will also bring up the 190 to within 10% of the Bus.
Although our retirement is behind, it is not 7% behind. Using other airlines profit sharing paints an inaccurate picture. No other airline guarantees a profit every year......so using guaranteed numbers we are 3% behind our peers in retirement.
Our PTO is used for everything, including sick...vacation, and personal time off. But, to it's credit........it also has a monetary value. No other airline has this. If you have over 100 hours accrued, you can sell back PTO at premium.....(150% base). Also, a 35 credit week of vacation only costs the pilot 24.5 hours.
Our premium pay system of anything above 78 hours is 150% isn't too bad. It's potentially worthless on months there is no open time. I for one would give this up for a base rate raise.
Our rigs are in line with the industry, but our per day rig is controlled incorrectly, in my opinion. It averages 5 hours per day, but should be 5 per day minimum.

We absolutely need a union, and the protections with it.....and also the ability to negotiate. But, some of the posters on this site are the typical never happy, always frustrated, constantly bitching pilots every airline has.

Even with all of the shortfalls at JetBlue, I still enjoy going to work.....and am proud to be here and fly here. Just my opinion.

CD

One correction the rig is 5 hours per duty period, not day. That's how you get 3 days worth 10 or 11 hours.

i get a little tired of these guys posting stuff on these sites that isn't even fact.....yet. We may not get the 2.2, my sources say we will in fact get it. Although i agree it doesn't make up for a lot of shortfalls, because it's actually a "look-back" comparison. We are 2.2% behind our peers using 2011 numbers. But, if they do bring us up, it brings our a320 compensation to the average of "like" airlines, with similar aircraft. This will also bring up the 190 to within 10% of the bus.
Our pto is used for everything, including sick...vacation, and personal time off. But, to it's credit........it also has a monetary value. No other airline has this. If you have over 100 hours accrued, you can sell back pto at premium.....(150% base). Also, a 35 credit week of vacation only costs the pilot 24.5 hours.

Even with all of the shortfalls at jetblue, i still enjoy going to work.....and am proud to be here and fly here. Just my opinion.

Cd

+1.............

CD

How much further does our health plan set us back? Quite a bit for those of us who need it.

DO NOT come to work at jetblue if your family needs a good health plan.

CD

The retirement shortfall IS in fact greater than 3%.

Alaska Airlines is 13.5% plus profit sharing.
Hawaiian's B fund is 17%.
Delta is now 14%.
WN is 9.75% but I'll take that with their wages.

Don't forget that most of these are B funds and require no contribution from the employee. Example, an Alaska Airlines Captain earns $150000. With profit sharing and B contributions this Captain would have received over $30000 in their retirement account last year. I'm not sure if the profit sharing is paid in cash or not. A JetBlue Captain making $150000 would have received $15000 and require the employee to contribute to get the 5% match.

In 2008 the company collaborated with the PCRB to publish a report. That report showed we were 3.5% behind. Obviously the 3.5% does not include additional profit sharing paid out at many of the other carriers. The companies failure to increase our retirement to industry standard has cost me at least $30k plus interest since this report has come out. Plus, if you are out on LTD/STD you receive NO company retirement contributions. At many other carriers you will continue to receive a contribution based on your disability earnings. It's not all bad in Blueville but this is just one of many big issues we have.

The retirement shortfall IS in fact greater than 3%.

Alaska Airlines is 13.5% plus profit sharing.
Hawaiian's B fund is 17%.
Delta is now 14%.
WN is 9.75% but I'll take that with their wages.

Don't forget that most of these are B funds and require no contribution from the employee. Example, an Alaska Airlines Captain earns $150000. With profit sharing and B contributions this Captain would have received over $30000 in their retirement account last year. I'm not sure if the profit sharing is paid in cash or not. A JetBlue Captain making $150000 would have received $15000 and require the employee to contribute to get the 5% match.

In 2008 the company collaborated with the PCRB to publish a report. That report showed we were 3.5% behind. Obviously the 3.5% does not include additional profit sharing paid out at many of the other carriers. The companies failure to increase our retirement to industry standard has cost me at least $30k plus interest since this report has come out. Plus, if you are out on LTD/STD you receive NO company retirement contributions. At many other carriers you will continue to receive a contribution based on your disability earnings. It's not all bad in Blueville but this is just one of many big issues we have.

Mostly agree, I would love to see the average retirement plus profit sharing, but am more concerned with just getting our retirement to 13%. Also remember the 2008 report included FedEx and ups, which were "collaborated" away in exchange to exclude spirit frontier and VA.

Got it. 2.21 % pay increase, retro to Jan 1. Retirement fix still being worked out with committees. Maybe "Summer". Email is out.

Last edited:
And my point is made.......stick to the facts guys to help the union drive. We have factual, below industry metrics...i.e: std/ltd....lol, health care, retirement to name a few. But the original thread start was from an ambiguous email sent on fri. So, today in fact, to the company's credit they raised our pay 2.2% retro to Jan 1..........as promised. It was late, it wasnt communicated well, it was threatened to not happen..............but in the end they did the right thing and followed the procedure, just not to the date.

CD

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back