• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JETBLUE Anti-union tactics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because UAL pilots can't. Once a pilot group is represented by a Union you are stuck.

However, It would be great for ALPA to state public that they were wrong in the matter and that they take the appropriate steps to fix there internal labor issues.

That would be going a long way to establish credibility.

Absolutley false. Any unionized employee group can decertify a union at anytime. Same process as unionizing. Collect cards and petition the NMB.

Because UAL pilots can't. Once a pilot group is represented by a Union you are stuck.
However, It would be great for ALPA to state public that they were wrong in the matter and that they take the appropriate steps to fix there internal labor issues.
That would be going a long way to establish credibility.

http://www.unionfacts.com/article/union-member-resources/how-to-decertify-your-union/

Assuming ALPA vote succeeds in April the rules require that the new union is given 1 year before a de-certifying election can happen. If employees can collect 30% signatures then a decertifying election will be held.

I am very interested to see if the company and anti-union crowd will attempt to decertify. It wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
United?

Yet the UAL pilots aren't seeking the Direct Relationship. Why is that?

United?

Are you even aware of all the lawsuits United pilots have against ALPA? They have been going on for years. FYI

United?

Are you even aware of all the lawsuits United pilots have against ALPA? They have been going on for years. FYI

You just helped make his point. Even with "all the lawsuits United pilots have against ALPA", they wouldn't think of trading their current representation arrangement for the Direct Relationship. They are sometimes very upset with the results, but they aren't at all interested giving away their representation and negotiation ability by going to an individual contract model. Warts and all, ALPA is still a better deal than what we have. Thanks for your support!

Absolutley false. Any unionized employee group can decertify a union at anytime. Same process as unionizing. Collect cards and petition the NMB.

A work group that decertify has to have an alternative bargaining agent no way to ever go back to a non union direct relationship. Regardless, what your stand is on the unionization debate. Fact is, a work group can not take a union for a test drive, so to speak, and return to a non union environment later when the union performance is disappointing.

You just helped make his point. Even with "all the lawsuits United pilots have against ALPA", they wouldn't think of trading their current representation arrangement for the Direct Relationship. They are sometimes very upset with the results, but they aren't at all interested giving away their representation and negotiation ability by going to an individual contract model. Warts and all, ALPA is still a better deal than what we have. Thanks for your support!

My point exactly, once you have a union you are stuck. Sounds like ALPA should engage in a bit more direct relation building with the pilot groups they represent. To be considered the lesser of two evil is really not good enough and should be reason for concern.
Is it ok to dismiss the lawsuits against ALPA or is this not an indication that their process is far from being perfect? Just to recap, ALPA is suit by their current (UAL) and former (TWA) members, and the JetBlue Pilots should be ok with it and not ask questions?

OK I get it, you do not like the direct relationship. But we have to face the fact, ALPA is not a great alternative. Understandably, JetBlue Pilots are pissed about the Health Care changes without pilot input. But where is the outrage about ALPAs collect dues from our 401K without a membership vote? Are you ok with ALPA leaders to impose changes that significantly increases my out of pocket expense without membership ratification?

My point exactly, once you have a union you are stuck.

Not my point. My point was, you would have a hard time finding a UAL pilot who would want to drop their union status, not that they wouldn't be able to. Your claim isn't exactly a settled point of law either. Name a single pilot group who wanted to drop their representation status under the RLA and couldn't. Heck, name a single pilot group who wanted to drop their representation status under the RLA, period.

But where is the outrage about ALPAs collect dues from our 401K without a membership vote? Are you ok with ALPA leaders to impose changes that significantly increases my out of pocket expense without membership ratification?

I don't know exactly how that process went forward. My understanding is that they lowered the dues rate and at the same time dropped the exemption from paying dues on 401k contributions. This had the effect of lowering the dues amount slightly for junior pilots and raising it slightly for senior pilots. What's your beef exactly - that the MEC's (which were elected by their pilot groups for just such matters) needed ALPA-wide membership ratification of a relatively minor change to the dues structure? Maybe, but is that really worse than the DR, where our only input is non-binding surveys? Man, that's a stretch.

For what it's worth, I agree that our C&BL needs to include membership ratification of any material contract enactment or change, including any merger or integration offers. This is something we can and hopefully will do ourselves for our own pilot group, and any JetBlue MEC would be bound by it. A runaway MEC which makes career-level decisions without ratification concerns me much more than an MEC who votes on administrative level matters without ratification. There's just no real comparison.

If we vote in alpa and get absolutely nothing more than just a way to stop the 36 month plan by our elt then it will be a resounding success.

Think joel doesnt have a plan for a 30 plane jetblue " lite " flying our miles and conecting to our 60 international partners? think again

That would just be the beginning, anyone remember the year we get our insurance cancelled and thrown on the exchanges? is it 2016 or 2017?

That would just be the beginning, anyone remember the year we get our insurance cancelled and thrown on the exchanges? is it 2016 or 2017?

Then you would get better coverage than what you have now! No other major airline has coverage as horrible as your coverage.i am in HR and design my company's benefits for a living, soi know!

Latest resources

Back