• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B6Busdriver

pushbutton pusher
And so it begins..............

JetBlue CEO wary on union push, eyes more partners
Stories You Might Like

Asian shares slump; TEPCO off 12% after…
Another earthquake rocks New Zealand
Resourcehouse withdraws Hong Kong IPO
Soros is selling his gold — should you too?
STORYQUOTESCOMMENTS SCREENER
Share | Recommend PrintEmail Alert By Doug Cameron
SINGAPORE (MarketWatch) -- The head of JetBlue Airways Corp. JBLU -2.11% said Monday that its business model could be challenged by efforts to unionize its pilots because of the knock-on effects on its corporate culture.

The U.S. airline was notified last week that the Air Line Pilots' Association is seeking an election among its 2,300 nonunion flight crew over representation.

"This clearly threatens our model," said Dave Barger, JetBlue's chief executive, in an interview on the sidelines of the annual meeting of the International Air Transport Association, the industry's global trade group.Barger said unionization could lead to "a huge cultural change to our company".

JetBlue pilots rejected a unionization effort in 2009, but ALPA last year began a drive, claiming union representation would bring flight crew guaranteed rights and a host of other benefits.

The prospect of a forced change to its labor relations comes as the 10-year old airline--which is entirely union free--starts developing its strategy beyond 2016. "We should not preclude looking at larger aircraft," said Barger, who oversees a fleet of Airbus A320-family planes alongside Embraer E190s.

JetBlue has developed from its domestic roots, and a quarter of its business is now derived from international flights to the Caribbean and Latin America.

Barger said he is particularly interested in the potential of the re-engined A321 plane which--equipped with winglets to boost performance--would allow it to fly deeper into South America from its main base at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, or from Florida or San Juan.

JetBlue's position at JFK--the largest U.S. international gateway--has enhanced its attractiveness as a partner for other airlines despite remaining outside the three main global industry groupings.

It has links with nine carriers--including part-owner Deutsche Lufthansa AG (DLA.XE), American Airlines, Emirates Airline and Aer Lingus--and Barger said deals with two more are in the works.

Also in a letter to the pilots Dave said........."I believe the very future of our company is at stake with this potential election."

How ironic. He's attacking representation for pilots while he's at an IATA meeting, an organization that handles representation for the airlines themselves. I guess Barger believes that only management is deserving of representation, not labor.

What's next..random blogs and facebook pages..oh and twitter accounts....wait that be childish:D

"I believe the very future of our company is at stake with this potential election."

I believe the very future of my career is at stake without this potential election.

I believe the very future of my career is at stake without this potential election.

From a unionized carrier post:

Bedford says they are "near the top of the payscale". Oh really Mr. Bedford? Then how do you explain the fact that a Captain at JetBlue flying an E-190 makes more money per hour then your captain, first officer, and 2 flights attendants combined do flying the EXACT same plane!? Oh wait, it's not the quite the exact same plane, your planes only have 99 seats instead of 100.... and remember why that is?... that's right, you had your maintenance works literally take a seat out of the plane just to sidestep the pilot's contract and force them to fly these planes for peanuts! Maybe it's time to pick up a book on business ethics

I can't wait for "industry standard".... and how management will fight us every step of the way during our initial contract negotiations-- AND THEY WILL!!!

"This clearly threatens our model," said Dave Barger, JetBlue's chief executive

translation: Management may not be able to stuff their pockets full with a union on the property - only 3/4 full.

Latest resources

Back