Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue and the 2.21% pay raise rhetoric.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right now our pay is based on what union pilots have fought for and nothing else.

Are you the chicken farmer or Blue Bayou's brother who thinks that his C-130 experience dropping jeeps at 5 feet somehow makes him God's gift to the airline industry?

GP

I guess you're the expert then? Instead of thumping my chest like you, I'll just tell you about my minor and humble experience here at Jetblue. 12 years at ONE airline with NO furlough and NO givebacks... I'd say that's a rarity in this industry. Am I proud of it, NO. I consider myself extremely fortunate. How it makes me an expert like you make me out to be, I'm not sure I see the connection...

BTW, I was never LAPES qualified and they discontinued that aerial delivery method years ago. So, I'm not your God's gift to the airline industry and by your ignorance, you're certainly not God's gift to the military.

This is exactly why pay comparisons are usually performed using MGTOW instead of seats. I suppose in your world a A318 with 32 first class seats going from JFK to London City ought to pay less than an RJ.

E-190's are mainline jets. And *we* set the rates at the RJ level. Putting them back to mainline pay *after every else copied our RJ rates* doesn't make it overpaid. Geez, man, whose side are you on?

That is an incredibly accurate and succinct account of what happened. Don't be surprised if I steal it.

They set the 190 rates at RJ levels because THEY COULD and they always intended to raise them.

But, they used the intervening three years and the benevolent 190 raise to justify ZERO for the 320.

That was always the plan from day ONE.

The entire episode consumed four years and everyone patted themselves on the back at the end. The BoBs were SO proud of jetblue when they realized that the "right thing to do" was to bring our 190 brothers up to parity.

You all got played and roughly 20 pilots at jetblue saw it before it ever happened.

It's a zero sum game.

The only hope for retribution is 3A.

I guess you're the expert then? Instead of thumping my chest like you, I'll just tell you about my minor and humble experience here at Jetblue. 12 years at ONE airline with NO furlough and NO givebacks... I'd say that's a rarity in this industry. Am I proud of it, NO. I consider myself extremely fortunate. How it makes me an expert like you make me out to be, I'm not sure I see the connection...

BTW, I was never LAPES qualified and they discontinued that aerial delivery method years ago. So, I'm not your God's gift to the airline industry and by your ignorance, you're certainly not God's gift to the military.

When you start at half that of your peers and it takes you 10 years to come up to partially mediocre I'd say that was a Phyrric victory.

Vastly

I guess you're the expert then? Instead of thumping my chest like you, I'll just tell you about my minor and humble experience here at Jetblue. 12 years at ONE airline with NO furlough and NO givebacks... .

Premium trigger changed from 70 to 78 hours. You can't pretend that wasn't a giveback. :angryfire

CSPP

Stock Options

Open Time

Premium pay

Heatlh care

Profit sharing

Pairing productivity

Etc.

Thumping my chest? Whatever....

First, it was either you or your twin brother (note my original post...I did not implicate YOU) who told me he'd rather hire a C-130 driver with 1,500 hours rather than a 6,000 hour RJ driver who just "flies around with the autopilot on". You, or your brother, were implying that somehow the C-130 pilots are/were better than someone flying an RJ. This happened on a trip with me and left me in disbelief. This is the reason I used the "God's gift to the airline industry" tag.

Second, you quote never being furloughed from JB. OK...great...Southwest hasn't furloughed either. And neither has Virgin America. What does that have to do with my statement about our payscales being tied to what union pilots have fought for?

Third, you say that you haven't had any givebacks. As Splert has written: CSPP (used to get it at a 15% discount, now at 5%), stock options (although you probably cashed out since yours were actually worth something)(the vast majority of us will net a big fat goose egg from these), premium pay (70 to a 78 hour trigger), health care insurance (or do you not use our terrible insurance?), pairing productivity (remember when getting a 4-day 24:30 was easy...or remember 13:30's?).

Yes, we have had some betterments to our lives here. I know this. We have gone from a 3% match to a 5% match on our 401k. We get an additional 5% for "profit sharing", although this is not guaranteed in our PEA (our retirement is still FAR below that of our peer set...for instance...Alaska pilots got 22.5% put into their retirement account without having to put one dime of their own money in, whereas we had to put at least 5% of our own money in just to get to 15.02% for 2010). Pay has gone up over the years. But, honestly...where was it going to go? Starting captain pay when you got hired was what, $80/hr? Starting captain pay on the E190 back in 2005 was $70/hr. These couldn't have gone down since they were already rock bottom! Yes, our pay has gone up, but productivity has gone down quite a bit since I started in '04. Many pilots here, even considering their pay bump, are now working more days to get the same amount of monthly pay. I'd consider that a paycut. But, since you've been here 12 years you probably don't know or care that this happens to anyone junior to you.

GP

Not to hijack the thread, but I didn't know if a whole new topic was necessary for the following:

At our JB instructor's meeting today, management was stating another 100 pilots will be hired for the rest of this year beginning this fall. They also anticipate needing up to an additional 240 pilots as a result of the new FAA rest rules that are around the corner. That's pretty much the near term projected hiring outlook in a nutshell.

Latest resources

Back