Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue and the 2.21% pay raise rhetoric.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smarta$$

I don't think the company is actually considering getting rid of premium pay. They are saying the things they are saying to manage expectations and make us THINK that we are getting such a great deal right now.

For those pilots that had listened to the last several RM conference calls, 80% of the time spent discussing the pay review was spent telling us why would probably not get the pay increase... Yet we got it. This is managements way of making us fear not getting our piddly raise, so that when we get our piddly little raise, we are relieved and not demanding more. It is expectations management 101. Same with this talk about putting a value on our premium pay.

Here is the important part, and something our PVC and more vocal pilot callers need to HAMMER home during conference calls and PVC-management meetings... OUR PREMIUM PAY SYSTEM IS ACTUALLY ALMOST THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER MAJOR AIRLINE! Most major airline pilots get a 70-80 hour line, and then during the busy months, pick up open time that is automatically paid at 150-200%. In fact, many guys bid a min credit line of 70 hours, and then start getting premium pay from opentime from 70 hours, instead of our 78 hour trigger....

During slow months at other airlines, there is no open time, just the same as we have low bid devisors and no opentime during slow months.

Hell, even my last regional airline had 150% for all opentime pickups.... Guys made a killing if they wanted to fly hard....

PVC and vocal pilots, make the legitimate case that our premium pay system is no more costly or valuable than that other of our peers, just implimented slightly differently!!!!

As for adding Spirit and Virgin America to our peer set... Sure, as soon as JetBlue can start offering 3 year upgrades again... Until then, it is apples and oranges...

Yes this post is a repeat, but I want a FOCUSSED discussion about this issue alone, and not all the she-said-she-said from the blue tampon types.

Smarta$$

Agreed, I dont see how our premium pay is any different from XYZ airline. I think the real pinch (in the eyes of the company) is our E190 rates.

Everything you are hearing is carefully crafted (and paid for) by Ford&Harrison.

They have been five years ahead of this pilot group at every single step.

Agreed, I dont see how our premium pay is any different from XYZ airline. I think the real pinch (in the eyes of the company) is our E190 rates.

The company has not mentioned E90 rates recently, so why would you go there? E90 is 100+ seat airframe with similar capacity and gross weight to the short DC-9 and Boeing 717. It is a full on small mainline narrow-body jet and the pay is right in line, if not LOW compared to DL's DC-9 rates and Airtran-Hawiian's 717 rates.

E90 drivers are NOT overpaid, so stop giving any credibility to that narritive.

Period.

Spot on smarta$$. Let's get the ball rolling on representation and unity for this pilot group!

Frankly, this is not a union or non-union thread or issue. Until the next vote, we have a PVC and a pilot voice to work with. And we need to put forward our honest and credible argument through the existing available channels and to educate those pilots here (many) that are entirely susceptable to well crafted management rhetoric.

Those talking points were intended to manage our expectations and they are easily discredited with honest debate and the education of our pilots that our premium pay system is not really different than any other company... Just administered slightly differently.

Why in the world would a pilot waste his breath on a 2% raise?

It's a non-event.

We don't get the slightest bit worked up about a 3.6% cost of living hit every year and a 5% hit from our sorry-ass health plan so why would we start pinching our nipples about 2% from the "fabulous" crooks in Forest Hills?

Last edited:
If my 2.21% raise went straight to helping get me a CBA, I'd be fine with that.

If my 2.21% raise went straight to helping get me a CBA, I'd be fine with that.

if you want a CBA go join a company that offers that. Love it how you come in salivating at the chance to fly, sign up and agree on PEAs then whine about not having CBAs.

Latest resources

Back