Jet University

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vref+Factor said:
For anyone who cares, this information is inaccurate. (Take it from someone who ACTUALLY works here). CAT is bound by legal contract to fly their interns no less than 500 hrs. If they fly you 1 hour less, they are in breech (sic) of contract and will legally be held liable.

Right. They would be in breach of contract. That means that when they dick you over, you can get in line with all the other creditors at bankruptcy court, and try your luck at getting your money back from a bankrupt outfit with no assets.

Before you go advertising this you might ask a few of the stutents from ATA Airmans, Tab Express, etc, how well they did getting thier money back when there was a breach of contract.

The_Russian said:
If anything, a 727 or Be1900D "experience" would help to well-round a pilot in a positive way.
I will agree with you on this. However, I don't think it'll round them out nearly enough to justify $35,000.

The_Russian said:
Are you saying that I didn't earn Captain the hard way?
Well it depends.

I vaguely remember you saying one time you were hired on as a street captain(??). If thats true, then yes I'd say you probably earned it the hard way - and I'd have some respect for you.

If you were a product of GIA, then no I'd say you didn't - and I have no respect for you. No need to go into thoughts on PFT - it's been covered hundreds of times before on here already. Notice the only guys who are going to bat for this Jet University program are the guys who are doing, or have already done PFT.

The_Russian said:
While I agree that in the "easy hire regional" world this does work. It didn't work after September 11. The only programs that were getting jobs were direct programs and ab initio. Up until late 2004, regionals werent even considering CFI's unless they had gobs of time or some turbine.
I'm going to have to call BS on this comment. Almost every CFI friend I've had since 2002 has gone onto the regionals well before late-2004, and with only the minimum flight times (no turbine, prior experience).

That statement sounds reminiscent of a marketing pitch of some PFT flight training, or flight academy. Where they assure you that the only way your going to get into the regionals at this point is to spend $80,000 with them because they got the hook up! Whatever dude.

I did attend GAA. But that doesn't mean I didn't earn my spot. I was intelligent enough to play my card right an win (so far) after all the times I lost in this industry. I did all my time instructing and pumping fuel for many years. I did my time as an FO and was offered a job. I earned it from previous service and doing a good job. I did not buy my job. I may have bought some training in a 1900, but not a job. I didn't even do the program to stay in the airlines. I was told to do it by a military contractor so they would hire me. As you can tell, they renigged on their deal. I earned my ATP just the same as anyone else. I do my time every day. I did my time today. I help people who want to learn about flying. There is no more of a rewarding job to me.

I dont need to explain my situation again. I dont really care what you think. Honestly, I have less respect for you for the way you talk about fellow pilots, than you have for me for going to GAA.

I will agree with you on this. However, I don't think it'll round them out nearly enough to justify $35,000.

Its not even 35,000. At least if you are gonna make fun of something please get your shat straight.

I'm going to have to call BS on this comment. Almost every CFI friend I've had since 2002 has gone onto the regionals well before late-2004, and with only the minimum flight times (no turbine, prior experience).

That statement sounds reminiscent of a marketing pitch of some PFT flight training, or flight academy. Where they assure you that the only way your going to get into the regionals at this point is to spend $80,000 with them because they got the hook up! Whatever dude.

What about me? I didn't get an offer. I tried every regional. (Except Horizon)

After I was permanent hire for about five months at GIA I tried to interview at Skywest for an FO position. This was at the first "open house" that they would be hiring at after 9/11. They kicked all the CFIs and pilots with no turbine time out of the room. 80 pilots went down to 40 in a heartbeat. So I was seeing it happen right in front of my eyes. Skywest turned out to be just as scumbaggish as the rest of the regionals.

(WTF is 19 dollars an hour for a CRJ pilot??? How can you guys call Gulfstreamers bad? Jesus, we make that much in the 1900.)

BTW, I don't have anything to sell. I have just seen how things work first hand. When all my students from the year before were flying jets, I started to think that I was doing something wrong. Then I did something about it. Now I am ready for when the Legacy's begin hiring.

didnt falcon air liquidate and isnt pan am on the brink of collapse each week?

Anyway, I wouldnt pay for time in the right seat. Unless it was 5k.

The_Russian said:
I did all my time instructing and pumping fuel for many years. I did my time as an FO and was offered a job. I earned it from previous service and doing a good job.
And knowing that, I have a great deal of respect for you. The fact that you worked hard previously as an instructor, and lineman all those years is certainly paying your dues. My beef is with people who go there with zero hours and are looking for handouts and shortcuts to bypass paying their dues. I can understand why you'd go, already being an established pilot, looking to supplement your experience and oppurtunities.

The_Russian said:
What about me? I didn't get an offer. I tried every regional. (Except Horizon)
No disrepect meant towards you at all, but just because they didn't hire YOU during those periods, didn't mean they weren't hiring other flight instructors, or non-turbine experienced pilots. Granted Skywest didn't as you first-hand account showed, but thats one of over a dozen regionals actively hiring.

Which incidentally is confusing to me, because we had 3 instructors go to Skywest during that period who had only flown the 172's and Seminoles. Maybe perhaps it was your particular open house you went to - for whatever reason they were being overly picky?

I went to a Part 61 flight school, non flight academy for two years during that time period you mentioned, and we had around 10 flight instructors leave for various regionals. And another 6 went on to regionals from January 2004 to the end of the year. They couldn't keep instructors there.

Last edited:
"I did not buy my job. I may have bought some training in a 1900, but not a job."

Same thing. While you were doing your "training", you were paying to do a job.

"I did not buy my job. I may have bought some training in a 1900, but not a job."

Same thing. While you were doing your "training", you were paying to do a job.

Nobody asked for your opinion phony. Get a life and your private some day. Everyone knows you don't really work at UPS.

The_Russian said:
I may have bought some training in a 1900, but not a job. .

PLease. Spare us the "I paid my dues" fantasy. You bought your job, in purest sense of the word.

Latest resources

Back