• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet University

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
let's bottom line it here fellas. If you have a job at an airline, ... great. If not, Jet university offers the quickest way to an airline without having to instruct. Let the stats speak for themselves. If you are a low timer, it's the greatest opportunity out there. Jet U is the only 121 jet internship in the country. If you don't like it, don't talk trash to the pilots who seek this route, talk to the airlines that hire them.

let's bottom line it here fellas. If you have a job at an airline, ... great. If not, Jet university offers the quickest way to an airline without having to instruct. Let the stats speak for themselves. If you are a low timer, it's the greatest opportunity out there. Jet U is the only 121 jet internship in the country. If you don't like it, don't talk trash to the pilots who seek this route, talk to the airlines that hire them.

Go flush your head down the toilet.

Vref+Factor said:
let's bottom line it here fellas. If you have a job at an airline, ... great. If not, Jet university offers the quickest way to an airline without having to instruct.
Call it like it is, REGIONAL airlines, where you make less then $20 bucks an hour, and will most likely be seat-locked for years. All your doing is spending $35,000 to bypass instructing and go to the regionals. Big deal. Where's the payoff?

Why not just instruct for a year, GET PAID TO DO IT, and end up at the regionals anyways.

I get 250 hours in the right-seat of a dinosaur 727? How much real world flying are you going to be learning in that short period of time - keeping in mind you were a zero hour pilot a few months previous.

Regardless, it'll sure make you feel like a hotshot when you go from the right-seat of that, down into a Beech 1900. What a waste. I already feel sorry for the regional captains (who earned their seat the hard way) have to put up with a four day trip listening to their F/O's b1tch and moan about "727 this, 727 that" "This isn't how we did it on the 727...". :rolleyes:

What domestic airlines fly the 727's now a days anyways - besides Champion?

Americjet, kitty hawk, ExpressNet, CAT, DHL(ameristar), FedX, Miami Air, Champion ………just a few 727 operators that come to mind!

PA-44Typed said:
Americjet, kitty hawk, ExpressNet, CAT, DHL(ameristar), FedX, Miami Air, Champion ………just a few 727 operators that come to mind!
To clarify, I meant passenger airlines. I know the birds are big in the cargo world, but thats not what the JU training is about.

Champion and Miami Air I guess are the only two?

You forgot Falcon Air Express and Boston Maine (aka PAN AM). I think Tranmeridian might have parked all of theirs.

Last edited:
I get 250 hours in the right-seat of a dinosaur 727? How much real world flying are you going to be learning in that short period of time - keeping in mind you were a zero hour pilot a few months previous.

With all the automation today, I think it is better to get back to basics with newer pilots. Keeps them from gettin lazy! Also, define "real world experience". As far I know I didn't get any special experience flying as a CFI or at GIA that I would qualify as "real world experience" over the other. All the experiences I have culminate a possible "real world experience", if you will. If anything, a 727 or Be1900D "experience" would help to well-round a pilot in a positive way.

Why not just instruct for a year, GET PAID TO DO IT, and end up at the regionals anyways.

While I agree that in the "easy hire regional" world this does work. It didn't work after September 11. The only programs that were getting jobs were direct programs and ab initio. Up until late 2004, regionals werent even considering CFI's unless they had gobs of time or some turbine. Even now it is difficult and only very competent CFI's keep the training rates above 50%. Most pilots today, in my opinion, are of poor quality no matter what background.

BTW CFI CFII MEI cost between 10K and 15k. Not that big of a difference from the kind of cash some people spend to do direct programs. Especially when you add time as a factor. Which, for us, is a major factor in our careers.

Latest resources

Back