• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue Pilots Files with N.M.B. for ALPA Representation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All the ALPA bashers are unique in that they collectively fail to see that an ALPA group is only as strong as its local pilot group.

Have crappy local leaders and the end product is going to be garbage. Entrust the group to a bunch of cowboys who are short sighted and lack intelligence and you are screwed. Harvest strong minded individuals who are talented in respective fields and your ALPA group will be solid.

The benefits of ALPA far outweigh the negatives. If the JBLU pilots are able to build an ALPA group that keeps a steady eye on its future without abandoning others past mistakes they will be a tough act to beat.

A clean slate to work from and a young pilot group leaves lots of opportunity. Work hard and stay focused. You are in a great position and I support your endeavors.

Well said, the whole USAPA debacle pretty much defines the shortcomings of independent unions when an airline is in trouble. They let the loonies take over and look what happened. The fact that some usapa cheerleaders are on here bashing ALPA should be a pretty good clue to the mentality of the ALPA bashers.

Like the CAL pilots, or Fedex pilots who left ALPA and then came back when they realized that being independent robs you of the structure and resources to represent professional pilots, or maybe like the Airtran pilots, who went with an independent union, then realized they lacked the structure and resources to adequately represent their pilots. The Airtran MEC has been much more functional and capable than the NPA. I don't see the Airtran pilots complaining too much about ALPA, particularly now that they're in the middle of a merger.

Spot on. I can't imagine AirTran trying to go through this merger without the resources of ALPA, Had they been independent SWAPA would have rolled right over them.

Whats to stop that under our current working conditions? You have no idea the company has proposed a " scope clause: that allows the company to create or buy a alter-ego carrier with 78 seats or less. 78 seats umm maybe a E-170 vs. the E-190? Right now they could sell off the E-190 and the crews to anyone they feel like. ( ie Republic, Trans States, Eagle). They can do this because there is no senority protection, in a transacation or a furlough. Yeah we have a furlough protection clause, good luck trying to collect if they choose to change the game. No recourse at all.

Read the proposed language again. It must be less than MAX certificated seating of 78. So no E 170, CRJ 700, CRJ 900, Q400 as they are all certified to 78 seats or more. What’s left is the 50 seat RJs or CRJs with the exception of the ATR 72-500. Which ALPA negotiated scope do you want? DAL, UAL, CAL,

Spot on. I can't imagine AirTran trying to go through this merger without the resources of ALPA, Had they been independent SWAPA would have rolled right over them.

So SWAPA is an independent union - does that mean ALPA is going to "roll over" SWAPA?

Well said, the whole USAPA debacle pretty much defines the shortcomings of independent unions when an airline is in trouble. They let the loonies take over and look what happened. The fact that some usapa cheerleaders are on here bashing ALPA should be a pretty good clue to the mentality of the ALPA bashers.

The USAPA debacle is a case study in rogue leadership. It was the local USAir boys that caved during the pension crisis and gave away the farm before all hands showed for work the next day. USAir pilots can only blame themselves for allowing their union to be run by the same 10% of the pilot list for too long. The damage this caused can be seen in the wreckage since 2000. Cant blame them for being crazy, they have good reason to be pissed at themselves and everybody else that didnt get involved till the ship was grounded and taking on water.

A true case study of how not to run a local shop.

So SWAPA is an independent union - does that mean ALPA is going to "roll over" SWAPA?

Not at all. It means AirTran will have a lot of good resources and support giving them the best chance at a fair integration. Better than if they had stayed independent.

Last edited:
Not at all. It means AirTran will have a lot of good resources and support giving them the best chance at a fair integration. Better than if they had stayed independent.

Alpo has resources, no doubt. That doesn't necessarily mean they will be used to any great extent. I'm sure they have a cut their losses plan regarding Airtran. I bet a dollar you'll end up seeing some Airtran pilots suing alpo after all is said and done.

And finally, you guys have a good company and you are a major part of that. ALPA is a great resource for you and offers a lot to benefit your career going forward. Don't listen to the angry self absorbed faction.

How can you say JetBlue is a "good" company if ALPA is needed here? That statement is contradicting. To me, a "good" company is one that has a good product, has a good reputation, and treats it's employee's fairly. I feel we have that here. It seems that everyone has a different interpretation of being treated "fairly". So why ALPA? Apparently because we're not paid SWA rates, we're not given SWA benefits and we're not given SWA retirement.

Yes, ALPA is going to fix that. They are going to bring us better pay, work rules, retirement, and job security. LOL We may see improvements in some areas but at what expense...furloughs? I would rather sacrifice pay to ensure that everyone on the property will be assured a job and not given a pay cut. Just my perspective.

Your reps were removed ....

Yeah they were removed. That's what I told you!

PCL, I already told you that you and Rez don't count because you can't remain objective:D .

ALPA national kept biting the hand that fed it. Showcasing their condescension and omnipotence in the middle of a representational election is the bafoonery that sealed their demise on our property. They had a lot of supporters on the fence that had high hopes but ALPA couldn't even pretend to have a bag of carrots for a couple of months until the election was over.

Some folks will forever extol the right of the proletariat to have the controlling vote and others will forever extol the unquestionable divine right of kings. Nothing new to see here. Move along. :D

How can you say JetBlue is a "good" company if ALPA is needed here? That statement is contradicting. To me, a "good" company is one that has a good product, has a good reputation, and treats it's employee's fairly. I feel we have that here. It seems that everyone has a different interpretation of being treated "fairly". So why ALPA? Apparently because we're not paid SWA rates, we're not given SWA benefits and we're not given SWA retirement.

Yes, ALPA is going to fix that. They are going to bring us better pay, work rules, retirement, and job security. LOL We may see improvements in some areas but at what expense...furloughs? I would rather sacrifice pay to ensure that everyone on the property will be assured a job and not given a pay cut. Just my perspective.

ALPA is needed because we have ZERO protections in the likely event of a merger. Jetblue is a good company but it does not feel like protecting the pilot group so most of us have had to put work into protecting ourselves. Did you know M/B does not even apply to us because we lack a certified bargaining agent? Did you know we lack the ability to collectively file a grievance? Forget about benefits and pay for a second because without either one of the above we don't even have jobs.
Lastly, we haven't furloughed because we haven't needed to. We have always been understaffed and during the worst of the economic downturn we were grossly understaffed. It's truly a myth that leadership did us a favor by not furloughing.

Latest resources

Back