Jet Blue JFK Living

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
Ahahaha das fddf dfdlmlol, lol lmfao lrofl lol...sorry.

Northeastern Pennsylvania and Northwestern New Jersey (out in the stix) is probably your best bet...but dont count on a 4 bedroom home in a nice neighborhood for 250-300k anywhere in the northeast corridor...

Yeah, more like $450k-$500k and that'll get you something nice in the sticks of E. PA or NW. CT.

Truckdriver said:
Hey, I don't really want to commute to JFK but I'm not sure I can afford to live within a reasonable living distance of JFK. Where do guys who are new and poor live if they get based at JFK and don't commute? I've never spent time in the NE other than at the airports while passing through. Are there nice, reasonably priced places to live within about 1.5 hours of driving to JFK or am I doomed to get into the commuting life?

You know there are new developments being built in very nice areas of Southern New Jersey. Gloucester and Camden counties. Prices can be in the $500K but also there are new homes priced in the $250K's. Just decide on how big a country manor you want. The drive is probably 1.5hrs but really not doable for reserve. But comfortable once you hold a line.
Other new pilots are finding great homes in some of the smaller upstate cities and riding the high frequency flights to JFK from ROC, SYR, BUF, BVT. There are lots of options to living in NYC. Just requires some creativity. I was stationed in LGB and it is really expensive there in SoCAl for any area you want your family to live in. High $400K would be a bargain and probably bordering on an area you might not want to live in.
Good luck !

Truckdriver said:
Well Sh!t. I guess I'll commute then. Is it even realistic to get LGB or FLL as a base within the first couple of years? With the 190's on the way is there any speculation of other possible bases in the US? I really don't want to commute to JFK if I can avoid it.

Take it easy. It is no secret that BOS should become a domicile early next year. JB has 3 or 4 gates there now and will have 11 by this time in 2008. I would look at southeastern NewHampshire or southern Maine. This will be within driving distance of BOS. Until we open a BOS base you'll be able to commute to JFK through BOS as we will have 10 flights a day between the two airports.

There are many people here who live in eastern PA out in the sticks. Although you wouldn't be able to make a two hour callout from there, you can hang out near NYC while on reserve. (Don't be too intimidated with the 2 hour callout as you will usually be assigned a trip well in advance of the two hour callout). On the few days that you are on reserve and not assigned a trip, plan to hang out within a 2 hour drive.

Good luck with your decision.

GP

I live in Southern NJ. It usually takes me less than 2 hours from my driveway to the employee lot (although, a few times in the past three years it has been more than 3 hours, but my record is 1 hour 15 minutes). I always have a variety of routes in my head, and I listen constantly to the traffic reports every ten minutes while driving to work. Can be stressful driving, but then I remind myself that I'm not commuting on an airplane.

Four years ago, I bought a nice 4BR colonial, about 15 years old, in a very nice neighborhood, for about 200K (houses in my neighborhood lately have been selling for about 300K to 325K). Our school district is among the best in the state (which is significant, considering NJ has among the best public schools in the nation). There are lots of shops and restaurants in our town, and we are 30 minutes from center city Philly (if you care about the big city thing).

I also forgot to mention that I sometimes take the train to work, which eases my commute. And, now with the EWR layovers, I plan on even more nights at home (while being paid per diem).

It is possible to live affordably within reasonable distance to NYC.

Last edited:
What is the reserve callout time at B6? How long would a new hire be on reserve in JFK on the AB? How commutable are the junior hard lines for JFK FO on the AB?

Head to PA north of ABE or north of the Lehigh Valley if not somewhere in the Lehigh Valley itself. Although the LV housing is going up. Above Blue Mountain, the southern part of the Poconos you will find good $$$ on homes/land and schools. This is the area I will have to buy in if things ever settle out for me. I've always been targeting CAL for EWR, JB for JFK all the while hoping US Air works for PHL, the area I mentioned above works for all three for a 1.5 to 2 hour commute.

From the LV area you'll have routes 80, 78, 22, 278 which get you to the EWR area which gets you to either the bridges or tunnels to get to JFK. Traffic??? All depends on what time you leave. I spent several years flying traffic in the PHL and NJ/NY areas.

If you want to stay in NJ then south of route 195 will get you lower $$$ homes but not by that much unless you clear out some pine barren land and build. North of 195, Morristown, Basking ridge, Princeton, Brunswick would be ideal but forget about it in terms of price unless your wife is an AT&T or J&J exec. The same thing for bucks county PA. Not a house under 1/2 a mil to be found. This is where I grew up and will never be able to afford to live here.

The area KC10 talks about is great too but I think PA taxes are better than NJ although I could be wrong.

Good Luck, if you have specific questions about towns or anything let me know.

castle bravo said:
What is the reserve callout time at B6? How long would a new hire be on reserve in JFK on the AB? How commutable are the junior hard lines for JFK FO on the AB?

Currently 3-4 months on RSV in JFK. Longer at FLL and even longer in LGB. Life improves dramatically when you get off RSV. It goes fast, and wasn't that bad, to be honest with you. Depends on your frame of mind.

2 hr callout

JFK crashpads about $250/mo. Transportation very easy to figure out after a day or two.

You can ask General Lee about Yonkers. He has all the info on that location. I think he grew up there and may even have a sister that is a landlord there.

Latest resources

Back