Jet Blue JFK Living

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fellas-

My suggestion is to do a Google/Yahoo search for real estate in the area you are considering. Use the MLS system if the realtor provides it and put in the parameters you are looking for. Things to remember: State taxes for NY are out of control relative to the rest of the country (property taxes). NH, specifically Portsmouth, is a common local for pilots as there are no state income taxes and housing prices are still reasonable for the N.E. Vermont is a good choice to commute to JFK and I believe frequency has just increased and the price of housing is reasonable. Although I do not currently do this, I have found that commuting from a place that has much frequency and a short flight is more desirable as you do not battle traffic, you are taken directly to you gate (commute online), and do not deal with employee trains/busses etc.

Juice

Yuck, two hour drive! With what we are paying for gas right now I hope you guys aren't doing day trips when driving into JFK.

banger said:
High $400K would be a bargain and probably bordering on an area you might not want to live in.
Good luck !

Wow! you guys are kidding me right? that stinks! so your better off commuting? sh*t..

Regards,
FD

banger said:
High $400K would be a bargain and probably bordering on an area you might not want to live in.
Good luck !

Wow! you guys are kidding me right? that stinks! so your better off commuting? sh*t..

Regards,
FD

Flyingdutchman said:

Regards,
FD

(By the way: Liverpool suck! try Man. United or AJAX !) :D

triple post..

Truckdriver said:
Well Sh!t. I guess I'll commute then. Is it even realistic to get LGB or FLL as a base within the first couple of years? With the 190's on the way is there any speculation of other possible bases in the US? I really don't want to commute to JFK if I can avoid it.

Don't plan on FLL. 250-300k doesn't get you anywhere in FLL. PBI is worse, and you don't want to live in most of Dade.

There are 2 bedroom/1 bath concrete block homes dating from the 1950s in my neighborhood going for $265k a year ago (about 1200 sq ft and no garage), and property has been going up %15-20 lately. Don't even think about being on the water. Dumps only fit for demolition on a backwater of the New River go for north of $1 million.

Property tax will kill you anywhere in Broward County, but this is partially offset by no income tax. Figure around $5500 a year for a $250K house, if such a thing even exists.

Car insurance is murderous. Figure $120/mo per car if you have a clean record. Windstorm/flood insurance for any home is extremely expensive and in many cases unobtainable....and anywhere east of I-95 is a flood zone.

Good luck with your search, though...

Nu

wow, makes me see that Akron, OH aint so bad! LOL...got a 4 bd/ 3bath , pool, big deck on a lake last summer for 179,000...taxes 2,100 yr! just under an acre. oh yea i forgot..it snows here.

How long does it take to make it to LGB? I live within the two hour call out so reserve isn't that un-appealing.

kind of sad when the vast majority of pilots can no longer afford to live where they are based. If this thread isn't a good argument for increasing the 190 pay I don't know what is...

Latest resources

Back