Jet Blue JFK Living

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Truckdriver

Hey, I don't really want to commute to JFK but I'm not sure I can afford to live within a reasonable living distance of JFK. Where do guys who are new and poor live if they get based at JFK and don't commute? I've never spent time in the NE other than at the airports while passing through. Are there nice, reasonably priced places to live within about 1.5 hours of driving to JFK or am I doomed to get into the commuting life?

Define "Reasonably Priced" I would say realative, it's pretty Dang expensive on the east coast, anywhere.

holdon said:
Define "Reasonably Priced" I would say realative, it's pretty Dang expensive on the east coast, anywhere.
4 bedroom home priced between 250-300K in a neighborhood setting that you can feel comfortable leaving your wife and kids in for a 4-day trip. If there are places like that within about 1.5 hours driving of JFK I would be satisfied. I'm not sure that is even possible so that is why I thought I would ask if anyone surfing the boards knows what it's like up in those parts.

Truckdriver said:
4 bedroom home priced between 250-300K in a neighborhood setting that you can feel comfortable leaving your wife and kids in for a 4-day trip. If there are places like that within about 1.5 hours driving of JFK I would be satisfied. I'm not sure that is even possible so that is why I thought I would ask if anyone surfing the boards knows what it's like up in those parts.

Funny!!

Just for info purposes, the median house price on long island passed 500k just about 2 months ago. And RISING!

The Drizzle said:
Just for info purposes, the median house price on long island passed 500k just about 2 months ago. And RISING!

And that is for a 40+ year old POS in a not so desireable neighborhood with a less than stellar school district. Don't forget about property taxes which generally 2x to 5x the national avg. FYI 5 yr Capt. pay at JB is not enough to "get by" in the greater NY,NJ,CT area. Good Luck!!!

Unless you live east of JFK, an 1 1/2 hr. drive is unrealistic. But then you'll pay throught the nose for housing on LI. Something close to descent could found in N. Jersey or E. PA, but you still have to fight the battle of the Goethells Bridge, Staton Island Expressway and the big winner, the Belt Parkway, where you go 70 for one minute and the next be at a full stop for no apparrent reason. Plan a 3 hr. drive if you want to live near base.

Truckdriver said:
Ahahaha das fddf dfdlmlol, lol lmfao lrofl lol...sorry.

Northeastern Pennsylvania and Northwestern New Jersey (out in the stix) is probably your best bet...but dont count on a 4 bedroom home in a nice neighborhood for 250-300k anywhere in the northeast corridor...

Well Sh!t. I guess I'll commute then. Is it even realistic to get LGB or FLL as a base within the first couple of years? With the 190's on the way is there any speculation of other possible bases in the US? I really don't want to commute to JFK if I can avoid it.

Latest resources

Back