Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JBLU cuts 5 Yr. Pilots, Fact or Fiction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
Yeah, like me. I'd emasculate myself to take a 70% cut in pay, give up all of my workrules, trash my retirement, and enter the independent contractor market so I could fly French jets with satellite TV! Whoopie!

NOT

Seriously... I believe that was BIT of an egotistical thing to claim.

:rolleyes:

Tony,

I have heard several times that the average life expectancy for a retired Fedex pilot is only 65 due to the schedule. Is there any truth to this rumor? If so, how does that affect your quality of life now, when facing that potential life altering event?

Just wondering,

Mike

lowecur said:
Hey, somebodies got to work the graveyard shift. Just how do you have any kind of a sleep schedule unless you are a full-time night owl?

Before you gloat too much, let me just make one of my predictions. In the market there is a phrase they use when the market goes down. They say eventually the market "gets them all." It's used when some individual companies feel they are immune to the overall cycle. Don't be so smug, you can bet the cargo business will feel this eventually. All you need is one company to get the ball rolling, like DHL.
Once again you've chosen to delve into a subject about which you are totally ignorant.

I made no predictions, make no predictions, and don't care a scintilla about your predictions. I responded to an preposterous claim that everyone who criticizes JetBlue would give a testicle to work for them. If you fail to see the idiocy of THAT claim, I don't have time to tutor you.

Capn Mike said:
Tony,

I have heard several times that the average life expectancy for a retired Fedex pilot is only 65 due to the schedule. Is there any truth to this rumor? If so, how does that affect your quality of life now, when facing that potential life altering event?

Just wondering,

Mike
I don't know if there's truth to the rumor - - I certainly don't consider myself in a position to lend credence to the rumor or to contradict it. Either way, what might happen to me when I'm 65 has no more effect on my quality of life today than does the type of diapers my mother chose to use when I was an infant.

My quality of life today is determined by the choices I make today. Was there something specific you were "wondering" about?

Did you also miss the ridiculous claim that anyone who criticizes JetBlue would - - wait a sec, let me quote here...
would give a left cohuna to work there!!! ironic! LOL
That tactic usually appears when the substance runs out.

Um...

I know 3 pilots personally who passed on JetBlue to come to FedEx in 2002, myself incuded. Last I checked both...ah..Kahunas?...were in place and functional.

Another I know (hint: board regular) passed on his interview at FedEx because he was quite happy after 3 months at JB and decided to give it his 100%. I know of a FedEx poolie who is happily employed at jetBlue (and appears to be staying there.) There are lots of ways to be happy in this business, and there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way. I think if you enjoy wearing something with a company logo to a family gathering or weekend event, you are at the right company. If you aren't, or you are envious of someone else, maybe its time to update those apps...

There are some brutal flights at FedEx. However, there are also some delicious trips too. Last month I was checking into an Oakland hotel after a 62 hour Reno layover and a 45 minute flight (only leg of the day....time 1930 local) into OAK. A former client of mine, now a JetBlue FO, was bouncing out the door around 2100 that evening for a transcon back to JFK on the "back side of the clock" after short layover. Yes...I was on a "senior" trip, and he was on likely a "junior" trip, but my point is getting in a urinary joust over who has it "better" or "worse", who flys at night, or who will "live longer" is rediculous. Good and bad are relative. I don't want a Flint layover, but if you live up there those trips rock. Some guys like the night ops, but if you are a day fan (and I am...) about 45% or so of our flying is afternoon and early evening stuff. So FDX bashers...get your facts before you start throwing out garbage.

Want to live a long life?--fly safely, take care of yourself, and go pick the right parents with the best genes for longevity.

As for arrogance--both FedEX and JetBlue have it good right now. However, I've flown with Captains who were Ex-Eastern or Brannif and I have a Guard unit stuffed with guys furloughed from American, Delta, and United. Anyone who thinks they are immune from a changing economy, mismanagement, bad luck, mergers, etc is just whistling past a graveyard. I'd keep those second job skills polished. I sincerely hope to be a healthy, happy 60 with a good retirement from FDX, and I know a lot of guys at JetBlue hope for continuing expansion in the company and a healthy growth for stock options, 401ks, etc etc. However, ANY of us are a bad physical from being out of business, so if I were you I'd work on promoting the good karma out there and not getting wrapped up in a lot of negativity.

One concern I do have is right now the JetBlue clients I've helped have been more or less interchangable with FedEx and SWA folks as far as talent, experience, and motiviation. If JetBlue growth does slow, and the new 190 rates don't "pop" a bit, the ability to compete for new hires will be diminished. You may not think that is important now, but think about how far JB has gotten so far on the talent and motivation of its workforce. You might see the level of talent go down in the future, as well as the return of some furloughees to other majors if things continue this direction.

"There are some brutal flights at FedEx. However, there are also some delicious trips too. Last month I was checking into an Oakland hotel after a 62 hour Reno layover and a 45 minute flight (only leg of the day....time 1930 local) into OAK. A former client of mine, now a JetBlue FO, was bouncing out the door around 2100 that evening for a transcon back to JFK on the "back side of the clock" after short layover. Yes...I was on a "senior" trip, and he was on likely a "junior" trip, but my point is getting in a urinary joust over who has it "better" or "worse", who flys at night, or who will "live longer" is rediculous."

Hey Albie, it was good seeing you that night!!! Thanks again for all your help and tell that lovely bride of yours thanks as well! By the way, pretty Junior line holder at JB and yes we do a LOT of "backside of the clock" flying. I would almost bet as much if not more than any other Pax airline out there (at least that's how I feel now!! ;) And yes your right, there is nothing that makes a JB pilot "Better" than a DL, FDx, Mesa or Great Lakes pilot or vis-versa. We're all cut from the same cloth and just doing what we love.

Blue Skies..........

FedEx schedules. . .

Capn Mike said:
Tony,

Just wondering,

Mike
Capn,

Since almost half of our departures are now daytime, once you get a little seniority you can have a pretty sweet QOL.

Just in case you're curious.

klhoard said:
Capn,

Since almost half of our departures are now daytime, once you get a little seniority you can have a pretty sweet QOL.

Just in case you're curious.
Keith,

I didn't get the impression he was curious. I got the impression that he was launching a, as Albie said, urinary joust, and I chose not to engage.

I guess the sarcasm in my response to the "left cohuna" post was lost somewhere along the way.

Oh well. Nothing new....

TonyC said:
Keith,

I didn't get the impression he was curious. I got the impression that he was launching a, as Albie said, urinary joust, and I chose not to engage.
Well you got the wrong impression there. No "urinary joust was intended. I saw the Fedex A/C next to your name and it reminded me of what I HAD heard in the past. That is why the just wondering was added. Guess I should have posted it somewhere else or just sent you a PM to answer my question.

I do plenty of back of the clock flying myself. That is by choice because it tends to be more productive which allows me to have more time off for my relative seniority. I was interested to know if there was a known trend, but obviously there is not.

Capn Mike

Capn Mike said:
Well you got the wrong impression there. No "urinary joust was intended. I saw the Fedex A/C next to your name and it reminded me of what I HAD heard in the past. That is why the just wondering was added. Guess I should have posted it somewhere else or just sent you a PM to answer my question.

I do plenty of back of the clock flying myself. That is by choice because it tends to be more productive which allows me to have more time off for my relative seniority. I was interested to know if there was a known trend, but obviously there is not.

Capn Mike
I'm sorry if I got the wrong impression; thanks for correcting me. Given the spirit of the thread, you might understand how I might have been predisposed to suspect your intentions.

I doubt that disturbing one's natural sleep cycle can be beneficial to one's health. And yet, people across a wide variety of industries do just that. We do the best we can, and enjoy today for today. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, at any age.

:)

There's an old Flying Tigers study that pegged the number at 51.8 average (mean?) age of mortality. Things have changed over the last few years due to CONTRACTS. Lots of NASA studies over the last few years. That information has helped in negotiations.

I like flying at night. Maybe I'll live longer than the stressed out pilot that flies 7 legs per day. Who knows? I'll let you know. YMMV. My current 85 hour layover is sweet.

Capn Mike said:
Tony,

Just wondering,

Mike

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back