• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB pilots say no to alpa/Barely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be better than the competition. That's the only way to guarantee success. Union or not

Nice glib, tidy answer, and true in a general sense, right up until the point where corporate or shareholder interests no longer align with pilot interests. e.g. a merger, acquisition, code share, downsize, fragmentation, divestment, et al. Then success is "guaranteed" for who? Probably not the pilots, who have no say in the matter. A CBA will not prevent any of those things, but if drafted carefully would protect the pilots from being left by the wayside and provide a mechanism for recognizing the pilots' stake and mitigating (there's that word again) any adverse impact.

as per above "Be better than the rest", but unions often forget about this and become involved in the "Whats in it for me" remember this is coming from a former union guy. With two dead airlines under his belt

I'm all for being better than the competition, but this is a blanket statement. One can disect this in many ways. A company can be better in finances, route structure, ticket pricing, customer service, paint schemes, keeping labor costs down, outsourcing for cheaper labor, giving it's managers industry leading bonuses, laying off front line employees to stay afloat, etc, etc. But when it comes to an airline pilot's career, success for the company does not always guarantee a secure and protected career for it's pilots. Can't the "what's in it for me" mentality also be applied to management?

I see your point, Yip, but your past experiences with your previous unions, management teams, and pilot groups do not necessarily reflect what exists with this pilot group. Nor does it mean that this pilot group has a "what's in it for me" mentality. I am not trying to shove a union down your throat, but I honestly think this pilot group is walkng a high wire without a net. I'm not saying ALPA is the answer, nor am I saying our management is evil. But we simply don't have the protections in place (legal, medical, retirement, etc, etc) to provide for a safe and prosperous career. This is my opinion, and may not be the same as yours, but I am just trying to stimulate conversation on the topic. Without a CBA, we can not legally separate ourselves from the other employee groups when it comes to issues such as medical, retirement, etc. There are pilots on the property who have been left to fend for themselves when it comes to legal and medical issues. I believe we need a system of checks and balances, not only to protect our pilots, but to protect our entire company. A CBA is currently the only system where both sides have to be held accountable and abide by the same rules.....thereby providing a legal system of checks and balances.

If you're in an incident or accident, and the company decides they will not provide you with an attorney (this has happened at bluejet), then what do you do next? If you have a medical issue with the FAA, and the company decides not to provide you with the proper resources to pursue a solution (this has happened at bluejet), then where do you go for help? My point is that in the end, each one of us is on our own. We can hope the company will come through for us, but there are specific examples of this not being the case.

I think we all want what is best for our families, but it's obvious we need to come together and figure out how to go about making sure we can accomplish this. This is a business, not just for the company, but for it's pilots as well. When making important business decisions, logic can be far more beneficial to the outcome than emotion. Just sayin. Regardless, we are all in this together.

This is the fact..... If JBPA were on the ballet it would have passed. This was not an endorsement of the DR, nor a condemnation of a CBA. It was anti ALPA vote, plain and simple.

This is the fact..... If JBPA were on the ballet it would have passed. This was not an endorsement of the DR, nor a condemnation of a CBA. It was anti ALPA vote, plain and simple.

That's not a fact. It's just your opinion.

BTW, JBPA was in fact available on the ballot. All you had to do was vote yes and write in JBPA. If all the alleged anti-ALPA voters had done that the JBPA would now be our bargaining agent. The truth is they didn't do that even though it was an available and viable option. So I can only conclude that the anti-ALPA rationale is simply an attempt to ease guilty consciences. They could have voted for JBPA, but they didn't.

That's not a fact. It's just your opinion.

BTW, JBPA was in fact available on the ballot. All you had to do was vote yes and write in JBPA. If all the alleged anti-ALPA voters had done that the JBPA would now be our bargaining agent. The truth is they didn't do that even though it was an available and viable option. So I can only conclude that the anti-ALPA rationale is simply an attempt to ease guilty consciences. They could have voted for JBPA, but they didn't.

By writing in JBPA it was a vote for ALPA. You are right, it is opinion not fact.

Last edited:
The whole argument is moot at this point.

As per the conference call yesterday with Maruster the DR is now in charge. New committees will now be formed to study the relationship between the pilot group and management. The PVC has to be re-evaluated and possibly redefined. Retirement is "at the top of their list" to address but it won't be discussed until the PVC structure has been completed, elections have been completed, benefits enrollment has been completed, a committee formed to study the disparity in benefits has been completed. IMHO their is absolutely no rush to bring Jetblue pilots to an industry standard retirement.

Now my truly honest opinion. The pieces of sh!t who voted no have saddled us with a relationship that is absolutely, positively controlled by management. We have no recourse, no ability to negotiate and no chance of EVER getting an industry standard benefits and retirement package. The company heres us "loud and clear" but that doesn't mean SH!T. Look at the applicants and the pilots being hired. We are not attracting the quality pilots we need and that corresponds directly to direction our company has taken.

Last edited:
Seems a little over the top to indict all new hires as lacking quality, and anyone who didn't want ALPA as a POS. Maybe you should take a step back.

We are not attracting the quality pilots we need and that corresponds directly to direction our company has taken.
Knowing a few that went there, I find this surprising. Could a quality pilot only be a pro-union pilot? If I am wrong please define quality pilot?

The failure rate or requirement for additional training is above 10% and the school house admits it's a reflection of the quality of our new hires.

I don't have a mil retirement and the 5% we receive isn't helping much either. Keep in mind our peer set receives 13-16% guaranteed on a monthly basis. As someone who does relatively well with my retirement planning I can tell you our retirement is a joke and not nearly enough. I can also tell you that without a CBA our retirement isn't changing. First, the operating budget for the pilots is fixed and second, without the CBA jetblue can't legally separate us. So, yes, if you voted no you are a POS because a CBA was our only avenue to fix the retirement issue.

The whole argument is moot at this point.

As per the conference call yesterday with Maruster the DR is now in charge. New committees will now be formed to study the relationship between the pilot group and management. The PVC has to be re-evaluated and possibly redefined. Retirement is "at the top of their list" to address but it won't be discussed until the PVC structure has been completed, elections have been completed, benefits enrollment has been completed, a committee formed to study the disparity in benefits has been completed. IMHO their is absolutely no rush to bring Jetblue pilots to an industry standard retirement.

Now my truly honest opinion. The pieces of sh!t who voted no have saddled us with a relationship that is absolutely, positively controlled by management. We have no recourse, no ability to negotiate and no chance of EVER getting an industry standard benefits and retirement package. The company heres us "loud and clear" but that doesn't mean SH!T. Look at the applicants and the pilots being hired. We are not attracting the quality pilots we need and that corresponds directly to direction our company has taken.

As a recent new hire I am going to assume you are just ranting and am not going to take this coment personally. As I am going to be spending a lot of time in JFK in the near future on reserve I would be more than happy to meet up with you and after we have a beer or two you can make these statements if you still feel the same way.

I can assure you that the recent new hires want the same things you do. Not to mention anyone hired on July 13 (My class) or after was not able to vote anyway so how could you possibly blame us for anything other than trying to better our careers.

One more thing. If you don't have the balls to call the guy sitting next to you a POS to his face don't get on a message board and do it. It doesn't make you a tough guy.

Latest resources

Back